Analysis Blair Hartley Project 2015 V - Trade and Free Agency Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caro says she thinks we'll get both Bennell and Yarran.

Mentioned Yarran for Lennon and our 3rd. Didn't deny it or confirm it.
Ive always been a supporter of getting both Yarran and Bennell. I think we could pull it off, but I can understand the conjecture surrounding it also.
I hope we can put the right support systems in place. Yarran shouldnt be an off field issue, but on-field is a different story. Bennell is the opposite, which is ironic.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

Caro says she thinks we'll get both Bennell and Yarran.

Mentioned Yarran for Lennon and our 3rd. Didn't deny it or confirm it.

Our 3rd and Lennon... What's she been smoking?

It's not heart our two champs lack, it's size. Mass.

I agree with playing them on the flanks. Cotch can be second rover when Miles needs a spell.
It's not just size. Cotch is bigger than Miles. Just does not stand up in big games when tagged.
He's just a little bit of a soft Cotch.

Some of you guys are idiots. Seriously you want Redden, Benell, but not willing to trade anyone by Lloyd or Gordon?? Then on the other hand, you get cut when Collingwood get all the good players.
The sooner people realize that we're only going to land those types of players by offering up players that have value to clubs that we're looking to trade with the better and more relaxed this board will become.

At the moment Brisbane wants Astbury, depending how badly they want him we go and ask about Redden/Aish in return plus possible draft pick/s on our behalf. Brisbane come back and say we need an experienced KPD and your first round pick for Redden is much better than the offers we're getting from the west so how about Astbury and your R1 pick for Redden and our R2 pick.

Then we move on to Yarran and Carlton. Now we have 2 R2 picks available, we offer them our pick first, they say nope and want the Lions pick instead, but we've got plans for that pick so we offer a player like McBean. Not ideal, but our R2 pick (around 35 right now) isn't good enough value and we might need the Lions pick for Bennell, so that means we need to move on a player that ideally we don't want to lose, but to get a player that we need i.e. quick smart skillful small forward, we lose a talented but unproven player

That now leaves us with Bennell our best offer now is our 2016 R1 pick and the Lions 2015 R2 pick. Given the Suns are selling and this depends on Bennell picking us, that is a decent return for a player with well known off field issues. Suns add another top 25 pick in this years draft to go with the pick they get for Dixon and a R1 pick in a stronger 2016 draft. Not the ideal return for a player who could be among the top 10 in the league if he gets his head right, but given they are the ones moving him on it's the best they could hope for if Bennell chooses us and we've got nothing else to offer up.

So at the end of the say it could be:
Out: 2015 R1 2016 R1 pick Astbury & McBean Lions 2015 R2 pick
In: Redden Yarran Bennell.

If we could end up with something like that come the end of trades I doubt many posters on here would be overly disappointed with losing 2 depth KPP for 3 genuine best 22 types. But alas like most things in life everyone seems to want to get the best of everything while giving up sweet FA in return. Sadly the world doesn't work like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The sooner people realize that we're only going to land those types of players by offering up players that have value to clubs that we're looking to trade with the better and more relaxed this board will become.

At the moment Brisbane wants Astbury, depending how badly they want him we go and ask about Redden/Aish in return plus possible draft pick/s on our behalf. Brisbane come back and say we need an experienced KPD and your first round pick for Redden is much better than the offers we're getting from the west so how about Astbury and your R1 pick for Redden and our R2 pick.

Then we move on to Yarran and Carlton. Now we have 2 R2 picks available, we offer them our pick first, they say nope and want the Lions pick instead, but we've got plans for that pick so we offer a player like McBean. Not ideal, but our R2 pick (around 35 right now) isn't good enough value and we might need the Lions pick for Bennell, so that means we need to move on a player that ideally we don't want to lose, but to get a player that we need i.e. quick smart skillful small forward, we lose a talented but unproven player

That now leaves us with Bennell our best offer now is our 2016 R1 pick and the Lions 2015 R2 pick. Given the Suns are selling and this depends on Bennell picking us, that is a decent return for a player with well known off field issues. Suns add another top 25 pick in this years draft to go with the pick they get for Dixon and a R1 pick in a stronger 2016 draft. Not the ideal return for a player who could be among the top 10 in the league if he gets his head right, but given they are the ones moving him on it's the best they could hope for if Bennell chooses us and we've got nothing else to offer up.

If we could end up with something like that come the end of trades I doubt many posters on here would be overly disappointed with losing 2 depth KPP for 3 genuine best 22 types. But alas like most things in life everyone seems to want to get the best of everything while giving up sweet FA in return. Sadly the world doesn't work like that.
Terrible deal , 2 depth KPP's plus two first round picks for redden and two blokes who have extremely dodgy character. We've down the path of selling first round picks for prospective Duds and should never go down that path again .

Talk of trading Lennon, Griffiths, McBean etc is absolute madness.

We'll probably put 1 tall on the table - sounds like Astbury and will offer up numerous trade picks this year and if something is really good then maybe next years first round - but it'd have to be very good to do that.

Yarran, Bennell are highly skilled but risky.

Trading high picks like Lennon and 200cm plus agile talls like Griffiths and Mcbean that we've been developing and haven't even hit their prime yet is laughable at best.

Our 1st rounder won't be used on Yarran unless it's a 3 way deal where we get more than Yarran.

Makes me sick.. How on earth could we possibly consider this?
Has to be rubbish!
I like the idea of getting Yarran but I cannot believe Richmond would offer Lennon plus a pick. Laughable. If this happens we need to look at our recruiting team. This would smack of desperation. Giving Lennon is the same as giving a first round pick. Yarran is not worth more than a second round pick. Leave him and Carlton will shit themselves when they are confronted with the prospect that they must keep him. They have planned on him not being there. Sit tight offer a 2nd round pick and don't budge. If we miss him, so be it. I think a second rounder will get it done.

Talk of suitors for Bennell have Freo as our main rival. If they go hard at McCarthy they'd have nothing left to trade for Bennell. This would be to our advantage.

I personally do not think with the risk involved that we should consider anything more than our first round pick for Harley. Talk of multiple picks or picks and a player is too much. We have to bring in 6 players at a minimum. If we spend all our picks or trade out other players, then how do we fill the list? In what is supposedly a week draft we'd be forced to recruit kids from the third fourth rounds. This is not viable. We cannot afford to be giving multiple picks for one player. I think we need to get at least one Free Agent. Others please advise how do we fill the list if we trade all our early picks for just a couple of players?

Some good scenarios, and a piss poor one. That aside The only problem with the above is it totally ignores the players wishes. Redden wants to go to wce and Aish wants to go to Collingwood. Players usually get to where they want to go because if they dont agree to a deal it doesnt get done. Redden and Aish have nominated their clubs of choice it effectively puts every other club out of the running.

GCS have repeatedly said they are after MATURE PLAYERS this off season. To get Bennell clubs will have to offer up a player most likely.. In going after Bennell clubs have to weigh up a very real Risk/Reward scenario.

Chris Yarran no thanks Would be the most over rated player in the entire comp. No way would a club offer up a first round pick for this hack yet alone a first and second round pick. If that scenario happened i would tear up my membership and never return.

So what is a REALISTIC trade for us to go after? taking into account all THREE parties interests. Well a trade that could work is Stefan Martin and brissies second round pick for Astbury and our fourth. We want a reasonable pick in this scenario to off set Martins age.

With talk of Dixon leaving gcs i would not hesitate to offer up Vickery or Griffiths and our third round pick for Bennell and their second. The swapping of picks a bit of insurance against Bennells poor record which is something gcs should be prepared to wear..

The player we should be offering plenty up for is Carlisle. We need to improve our kpd stocks and players like Carlisle do not come up for offer willy nilly. Take the very good players if possible even if you have an area covered which we dont by the way.
Yep even if we had great kpd stocks, which we dont, a club would be silly not to try and boost a key area with a player like Carlisle. FFS what do we want more of Chaplin and the likes of Batchelor or Jake Carlisle.

Some good scenarios, and a piss poor one. That aside The only problem with the above is it totally ignores the players wishes. Redden wants to go to wce and Aish wants to go to Collingwood. Players usually get to where they want to go because if they dont agree to a deal it doesnt get done. Redden and Aish have nominated their clubs of choice it effectively puts every other club out of the running.

GCS have repeatedly said they are after MATURE PLAYERS this off season. To get Bennell clubs will have to offer up a player most likely.. In going after Bennell clubs have to weigh up a very real Risk/Reward scenario.

Chris Yarran no thanks Would be the most over rated player in the entire comp. No way would a club offer up a first round pick for this hack yet alone a first and second round pick. If that scenario happened i would tear up my membership and never return.

So what is a REALISTIC trade for us to go after? taking into account all THREE parties interests. Well a trade that could work is Stefan Martin and brissies second round pick for Astbury and our fourth. We want a reasonable pick in this scenario to off set Martins age.

With talk of Dixon leaving gcs i would not hesitate to offer up Vickery or Griffiths and our third round pick for Bennell and their second. The swapping of picks a bit of insurance against Bennells poor record which is something gcs should be prepared to wear..

The player we should be offering plenty up for is Carlisle. We need to improve our kpd stocks and players like Carlisle do not come up for offer willy nilly. Take the very good players if possible even if you have an area covered which we dont by the way.
Yep even if we had great kpd stocks, which we dont, a club would be silly not to try and boost a key area with a player like Carlisle. FFS what do we want more of Chaplin and the likes of Batchelor or Jake Carlisle.
The problem with all these so called swaps is convincing players that they have to go to Brisbane. They'd probably walk out if you tried to force them up north. I do agree that we should go hard for Carlisle, especially before Yarran.

It's not just size. Cotch is bigger than Miles. Just does not stand up in big games when tagged.
He's just a little bit of a soft Cotch.
Miles would struggle carrying around Ben Jacobs as well. Luckily for him, he will never be tagged.

We can do much better deals than that.

Talk of trading Lennon, Griffiths, McBean etc is absolute madness.

We'll probably put 1 tall on the table - sounds like Astbury and will offer up numerous trade picks this year and if something is really good then maybe next years first round - but it'd have to be very good to do that.

Yarran, Bennell are highly skilled but risky.

Trading high picks like Lennon and 200cm plus agile talls like Griffiths and Mcbean that we've been developing and haven't even hit their prime yet is laughable at best.

Our 1st rounder won't be used on Yarran unless it's a 3 way deal where we get more than Yarran.
That's what I keep trying to tell these nongs! :thumbsu:

I like the idea of getting Yarran but I cannot believe Richmond would offer Lennon plus a pick. Laughable. If this happens we need to look at our recruiting team. This would smack of desperation. Giving Lennon is the same as giving a first round pick. Yarran is not worth more than a second round pick. Leave him and Carlton will shit themselves when they are confronted with the prospect that they must keep him. They have planned on him not being there. Sit tight offer a 2nd round pick and don't budge. If we miss him, so be it. I think a second rounder will get it done.
Other than Hampson, we've paid unders for everyone we've recruited from another club. I doubt we're going to start paying overs now. Blair and the team have a comprehensive player rating system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back