Bluemour Discussion Thread III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be pleasantly surprised if Kerr becomes a week in, week out AFL quality footballer. Looks miles off the pace in terms of speed and agility...The way footy is played nowadays you really get shown up if you can't compete when the ball is on the deck or the other team has the ball.

Yep. Kerr can lead, mark and kick. And is a smart footballer.

But despite that, there's a strong chance he simply isn't athletic enough for today's game. Kinda like a modern-day Whitnall. A footballer from another time.

Still, for what we paid for him, it's worth the gamble. High risk*, high return.

* in terms of making it at AFL level

Comparing Charlie's stats to champions of the game is one thing...However, players like Kouta and Fyfe have both demonstrated the mentality and determination to improve their game significantly in their early careers.

Charlie needs to show willingness to succeed and grow as a player. As of right now, he is yet to show the desire and attitude to strive for greatness... but being in an environment with leaders like his brother Ed & Crippa, Im confident he'll develop into a great player.

Loads of talent, taking it to the next level depends on his mentality.

how do you know this exactly?

from all accounts, he trains his ass off?
Ehh, re-reading that I can see it's worded incorrectly.

To clarify, Charlie has the opportunity to prove this and he's on the right track. However, it's gonna take a year or two to gauge this. Someone earlier compared him to Riewoldt. Well, Roo has demonstrated willingness with professionalism in his preparation compounded with some of the most courageous stunts I've seen on a football field but it obviously took time to show this because he worked harder than anybody to improve his craft.

Charlie can do the same. So much potential, just needs to continue to work on it.

Comparing Charlie's stats to champions of the game is one thing...However, players like Kouta and Fyfe have both demonstrated the mentality and determination to improve their game significantly in their early careers.

Charlie needs to show willingness to succeed and grow as a player. As of right now, he is yet to show the desire and attitude to strive for greatness... but being in an environment with leaders like his brother Ed & Crippa, Im confident he'll develop into a great player.

Not sure about this. I remember Kouta playing 40 or 50 reserves games and he was a very slow burn once he got into the seniors. However once he caught fire he was something else. Would suggest Charlie is a long way ahead of Kouta at this stage of his career versus Kouta at the same time. Would be delighted if that remained the case throughout the rest of his career.

Given his best game to date was in last week's shellacking, I think the signs are good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about Brereton FFS? Does my head in!!!
At least Brereton has an element of tounge in cheek about his Hawthorn bias.

Lingy legitimately thinks people watching a St kilda Collingwood game care that some st kilda spud named Murdoch is the brother of a Geelong spud named Murdoch lol! literally neither player is worthy of mention in their own games lingy let alone each other's!

If that was to be the case, he's likely to have limited opportunity.
If CCurnow is to continue to play forward and clearly Jack will, where does that leave him?

Must say, I have liked Kerrs efforts. This guy isn't going to die wondering and is currently working his arse off. Good on him.
Kerr plays taller than Jack & with the more recent evolution of the game, your second KPF doesn't have to be 196+.

I think the future involves having these hybrid tall mid/forward types. We have Cripps who will mostly play as a mid and eventually when we build our midfield up will rest forward. Charlie certainly is another one with the athleticism and talent. Fogarty looks to be another type and I think he would be our top target during the draft. He takes on the tacklers and stands his ground really well. Would be a perfect partner for Cripps.

Cripps, Curnow and Fogarty should be very tough to stop.

You wouldn't want a midifled full of tall, big mids. Looks great winning the contested ball but when it gets on the outside and in the opposition hands we'd get cut up. Big reason why Hawthorn couldn't fit in Kennedy IMO. Cripps is great but applying pressure when it's in opposition hands, not a strength and this is what modern football and game plans rely on. Would never work and might be why Charlie Curnow and Cripps may not fit in the midfield at the same time. Big bodied mids tend to be one dimensional, get clearances and possessions and in close tackles but lack on the spread and lack pressure a lot of the times. You want a Judd or a Dangerfield explosive type in there. Strong, skilled, quick, powerful and a bit more lower set.

On the other hand if Cripps could offer a little more up forward and Curnow a little more in the middle then we have two player who can rotate happily together and you have something pretty useful.

Kerr plays taller than Jack & with the more recent evolution of the game, your second KPF doesn't have to be 196+.

He doesn't even have to be 180cm if he can regularly beat his man and kick goals on him.
Funny that all the current talk is about team defence.........why not a team offence in the AFL?

Why do the backs have to all work together but the forward line is every man for himself?
OK, it's not quite like that but new forward 50 tactics can surely be expanded upon.....especially for us. :)

You wouldn't want a midifled full of tall, big mids. Looks great winning the contested ball but when it gets on the outside and in the opposition hands we'd get cut up. Big reason why Hawthorn couldn't fit in Kennedy IMO. Cripps is great but applying pressure when it's in opposition hands, not a strength and this is what modern football and game plans rely on. Would never work and might be why Charlie Curnow and Cripps may not fit in the midfield at the same time. Big bodied mids tend to be one dimensional, get clearances and possessions and in close tackles but lack on the spread and lack pressure a lot of the times. You want a Judd or a Dangerfield explosive type in there. Strong, skilled, quick, powerful and a bit more lower set.

On the other hand if Cripps could offer a little more up forward and Curnow a little more in the middle then we have two player who can rotate happily together and you have something pretty useful.

What I imagine will happen is Cripps and Fogarty will primarily play in the middle while Charlie will primarily play forward. Then we can give Cripps a stint up forward and rotate him with Charlie when we do so.

I agree we need to get the speedy mids in as well but unfortunately, we don't have more than 1 top 10 pick this year so it'll be difficult to get a couple of highly rated kids in. Cripps desperately needs someone to help relieve the pressure on him and Fogarty would be the best option as it stands. on the bright side, SPS and Fisher have a lot of speed and look to be great additions too.

We should spend all of our draft picks on mids and one of the later picks on a ruckman. My opinion.

If you're riding into town on a camel he does.

What I imagine will happen is Cripps and Fogarty will primarily play in the middle while Charlie will primarily play forward. Then we can give Cripps a stint up forward and rotate him with Charlie when we do so.
Lets just stick all three in the middle and play keep aways and watch the opponents undersized mids unable to touch it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back