Bluemour Discussion Thread III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You wouldn't want a midifled full of tall, big mids. Looks great winning the contested ball but when it gets on the outside and in the opposition hands we'd get cut up. Big reason why Hawthorn couldn't fit in Kennedy IMO. Cripps is great but applying pressure when it's in opposition hands, not a strength and this is what modern football and game plans rely on. Would never work and might be why Charlie Curnow and Cripps may not fit in the midfield at the same time. Big bodied mids tend to be one dimensional, get clearances and possessions and in close tackles but lack on the spread and lack pressure a lot of the times. You want a Judd or a Dangerfield explosive type in there. Strong, skilled, quick, powerful and a bit more lower set.

On the other hand if Cripps could offer a little more up forward and Curnow a little more in the middle then we have two player who can rotate happily together and you have something pretty useful.

How is Cripps going to offer a little more when he is already playing at 100% just to provide some semblence of respectability to Carlton around ball ups/stoppages and center bounces? When was the last time anyone gave him a chop out against his taggers? Watch his highlight reel just posted ahead of his 50th - he can go forward take marks and kick goals- and did so regularly when Judd was playing - exit Judd and he is all alone in the middle and doing it all himself.

As for Charlie Curnow - the kid has played a few games of AFL and been played in various positions - because he is that good - Bolton is trying to figure out where he is best employed in the dedsert land that is the list we have.

No - the problem ISNT the young kids we do have - it has always been the mids we dont have.

Interesting observation here gb.

A comparison is Freo.

They used to play with Barlow, Fyfe and Mundy in centre square.

Now they traded Barlow and are rotating Fyfe/Mundy out of the goal square.

This leaves one "bull" in the middle plus 2 quicker guys.

They have improved their ball movement and defensive pressure massively.

Funnily enough, all of Fyfe/Mundy/Barlow were part of their starting midfield when being top 4 in multiple seasons.

It's about having mature bodies, multiple preseasons and a structure to be able to execute.

I'd like Hopper but we have a bit of work to do without a second rounder this year, certainly not worth anywhere near our first rounder this year or next.

Out of interest, what are GWS's likely draft positions at this stage? Can't remember what they have as 1st rounders this year

Jacob Hopper would compliment Cripps perfectly IMO. Use our first pick on the "best available".

Depends on the gap but imo our first needs to be on the best mid...preferably a mid sized one who is a decent size but also has speed...like Treloar, Shiel, Hanneberry etc...this type of mid is one we don't have and i think we need.

Can't just say 'best available' it's 'best available for our needs'.
What if next best pick is a ruckman or another KPD? I'd be ropable if we drafted them.

Our midfield sucks and is the main reason we are losing games because our team has no run and can't transition from defence to attack well enough.

We. Need. Mids.

Depends on the gap but imo our first needs to be on the best mid...preferably a mid sized one who is a decent size but also has speed...like Treloar, Shiel, Hanneberry etc...this type of mid is one we don't have and i think we need.

Can't just say 'best available' it's 'best available for our needs'.
What if next best pick is a ruckman or another KPD? I'd be ropable if we drafted them.

Our midfield sucks and is the main reason we are losing games because our team has no run and can't transition from defence to attack well enough.

We. Need. Mids.

What if the best "decent" sized mid isn't a top 5 prospect? (assuming we have pick 1)

What if the best "decent" sized mid isn't a top 5 prospect? (assuming we have pick 1)

That's were i mention it depends on the gap in rating.

If it's a small difference then take the mid.
Obviously if we're talking the difference between a guy rated 3 and a guy rated 8 that's too big a gap.

But realistically, the gap shouldn't be that big at the top picks and there will be gun mids available.

Point is if we have, say pick 3, and the 3rd highest rated player is a KPD, 4th a small mid like SPS & Fisher, and 5th a medium sized mid with speed like a Shiel/Hanneberry...as long as the gap isn't too big, i'd rather we chose the Shiel/Hanneberry guy rated 5th best since it's what we desperately need.

Another KPD would be a waste, and we don't need yet another small mid if we have Murphy, SPS & Fisher in the side, we'd be pushed off the ball too easily.

Funnily enough, all of Fyfe/Mundy/Barlow were part of their starting midfield when being top 4 in multiple seasons.

It's about having mature bodies, multiple preseasons and a structure to be able to execute.

I'd like Hopper but we have a bit of work to do without a second rounder this year, certainly not worth anywhere near our first rounder this year or next.

Out of interest, what are GWS's likely draft positions at this stage? Can't remember what they have as 1st rounders this year

I disagree, he's every bit worth close to our first round selection this year (not that I would give up our first though).

He's a bull. He'd compliment our midfield perfectly imo. If it wasn't for injury in his draft year, we would have had a tough decision on whether or not to bid on him ahead of Weitering.

How much would you give to have a Michael Voss clone on our list? Because that's the type of player he is and that's how good he will be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FWIW I had a quick look and seems to me GWS will have approx

Pick 15 R1 Geelong
Pick 17 R1 GWS
PICK 25 R2 Pies
Pick 28 Saints

Then their own R3 onwards so approx 35, 53, 71 etc

My point was the game has changed.

Freo playing much better with 1 bull instead of 3 bulls.

FWIW I had a quick look and seems to me GWS will have approx

Pick 15 R1 Geelong
Pick 17 R1 GWS
PICK 25 R2 Pies
Pick 28 Saints

Then their own R3 onwards so approx 35, 53, 71 etc
They gave Geelong's first rounder to Richmond for Deledio.

My point was the game has changed.

Freo playing much better with 1 bull instead of 3 bulls.
You're right but Freo were playing a number of blokes who were exclusively inside and offered little else.
If Hopper were a clone of Cripps it may be an issue but imo he's got the ability to get free in transition similar to a Selwood.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back