Bluemour Discussion Thread III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least Brereton has an element of tounge in cheek about his Hawthorn bias.

Lingy legitimately thinks people watching a St kilda Collingwood game care that some st kilda spud named Murdoch is the brother of a Geelong spud named Murdoch lol! literally neither player is worthy of mention in their own games lingy let alone each other's!
Wonder why so many people struggle to spell the word tung correctly?

He doesn't even have to be 180cm if he can regularly beat his man and kick goals on him.
Funny that all the current talk is about team defence.........why not a team offence in the AFL?

Why do the backs have to all work together but the forward line is every man for himself?
OK, it's not quite like that but new forward 50 tactics can surely be expanded upon.....especially for us. :)
Because it's been team offence since the days of a big forward booting 6+ died out

Thing is what offence though one person gets to kick the goal so its not as obvious as team defence.

If it wasn't about team offence score involvement wouldn't be a stat

Because it's been team offence since the days of a big forward booting 6+ died out
Thing is what offence though one person gets to kick the goal so its not as obvious as team defence.
If it wasn't about team offence score involvement wouldn't be a stat

You can be a back-man and clock up numbers for this stat......in a good team

Of course all forward lines try and play to some structure, but it's just more difficult organising it, than it in defence.

Having a powerful midfield also helps along for having better forward structures. It's not easy for us right now.

You can be a back-man and clock up numbers for this stat......in a good team

Of course all forward lines try and play to some structure, but it's just more difficult organising it, than it in defence.

Having a powerful midfield also helps along for having better forward structures. It's not easy for us right now.
Yea I agree with all of that, I was more responding to the idea of team offence which is prominent in today's game.

How do you see our forward line wanting to play?
What tricks/set-ups/structures do we employ? I really don't know.
That will come down to Bolton's game plan and how he sets up the entry to the forward 50. I think it will be mainly based around mid sized players that are good below their knees but won't be out matched easily in the air.

How do you see our forward line wanting to play?
What tricks/set-ups/structures do we employ? I really don't know.

From what it looks like to me i think our plan seems to be mantaining possession around the forward 50 arch, if the options are limited chip it around to a player to create a different angle which would allow our lead up forwards to be hit up.

I believe the tactics of modern day football are quite similar to soccer, possession and efficiency are key.

What I imagine will happen is Cripps and Fogarty will primarily play in the middle while Charlie will primarily play forward. Then we can give Cripps a stint up forward and rotate him with Charlie when we do so.

I agree we need to get the speedy mids in as well but unfortunately, we don't have more than 1 top 10 pick this year so it'll be difficult to get a couple of highly rated kids in. Cripps desperately needs someone to help relieve the pressure on him and Fogarty would be the best option as it stands. on the bright side, SPS and Fisher have a lot of speed and look to be great additions too.

We should spend all of our draft picks on mids and one of the later picks on a ruckman. My opinion.

Haven't we already recruited for this?

SPS has a good contested game, and Fisher has done his best work in and under as well. They'll simply need another year or two to build the frame for it - which is why we'll keep using Gibbs, Murphy and Ed in the guts.

SPS has a good contested game, and Fisher has done his best work in and under as well. They'll simply need another year or two to build the frame for it - which is why we'll keep using Gibbs, Murphy and Ed in the guts.
Which is why we should use our first draft selection in 2017 on the best available player no matter their role. I want big bodied mids but not at the cost of missing a potential superstar in any other position. SOS has done a great job in building up young developing options at every line so recruit best available.

To a point yes but we're looking pretty damn small through the middle, Cripps aside.
I certainly wouldn't be averse to picking up another bigger body to go with our small blokes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not given what we've seen recently from Levi, Charlie and even Weitering. :)
On the counter attack, it's not necessarily about the height of the marking player, so much as the ability to separate.

We just get so nervous when we try to up the tempo with the footy that there's fumbles galore and missed handpasses instead of it bolting up the other end of the ground.

Comparing Charlie's stats to champions of the game is one thing...However, players like Kouta and Fyfe have both demonstrated the mentality and determination to improve their game significantly in their early careers.

Charlie needs to show willingness to succeed and grow as a player. As of right now, he is yet to show the desire and attitude to strive for greatness... but being in an environment with leaders like his brother Ed & Crippa, Im confident he'll develop into a great player.

Loads of talent, taking it to the next level depends on his mentality.

"he is yet to show the desire and attitude to strive for greatness" may I ask what makes you think this to be true?

Yes they are hard at it but they're not big bodied mids like Cripps or Fogarty.

I think we need 2 or 3 extractors and then blistering takeaway speed. Cripps does the hard stuff but sometimes his use of it is lacking (I am talking kicking really), if he has a speedy elite outside midfielder nearby it's a match made in heaven.

Neither are Zach Merrett, Lachie Neale, Gary Ablett, Robbie Gray, Luke Dahlhaus, Dayne Zorko, Joel Selwood, Jack Steven, Dan Hannebery, Luke Parker etc. etc. etc.

You don't need to be 195cm to compete in the midfield, having one such player is plenty if there are some balanced mids around them. Go too big and you get cut up by the quicker sides.

Neither are Zach Merrett, Lachie Neale, Gary Ablett, Robbie Gray, Luke Dahlhaus, Dayne Zorko, Joel Selwood, Jack Steven, Dan Hannebery, Luke Parker etc. etc. etc.

You don't need to be 195cm to compete in the midfield, having one such player is plenty if there are some balanced mids around them. Go too big and you get cut up by the quicker sides.

Not sure why you felt the need to waste your time and list a bunch of mids shorter than 195cm like as if I don't know who they are.

I never said you need to be 195cm to play in the middle.
Fogarty is not 195cm tall.
SPS and Fisher are both fast.
No doubt we will pick up some more speedy mids as well.

I clearly said Cripps needs support and another big bodied mid would be a good solution. If you think Cripps can do it on his own for the next decade, then you're delusional.

You wouldn't want a midifled full of tall, big mids. Looks great winning the contested ball but when it gets on the outside and in the opposition hands we'd get cut up. Big reason why Hawthorn couldn't fit in Kennedy IMO. Cripps is great but applying pressure when it's in opposition hands, not a strength and this is what modern football and game plans rely on. Would never work and might be why Charlie Curnow and Cripps may not fit in the midfield at the same time. Big bodied mids tend to be one dimensional, get clearances and possessions and in close tackles but lack on the spread and lack pressure a lot of the times. You want a Judd or a Dangerfield explosive type in there. Strong, skilled, quick, powerful and a bit more lower set.

On the other hand if Cripps could offer a little more up forward and Curnow a little more in the middle then we have two player who can rotate happily together and you have something pretty useful.

Interesting observation here gb.

A comparison is Freo.

They used to play with Barlow, Fyfe and Mundy in centre square.

Now they traded Barlow and are rotating Fyfe/Mundy out of the goal square.

This leaves one "bull" in the middle plus 2 quicker guys.

They have improved their ball movement and defensive pressure massively.

If the rumors are correct then there is some rumblings within the list. The last thing you want is one third of your list chucking it in with a year or two to go on their contract. At least the much maligned Jones is still having a go. Got best on ground in the Ressies. Should be given an opportunity in the seniors if it is deserved.

Say what? Where've you heard that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back