Bluemour Discussion Thread XII - Facts Not Welcome (cont in pt 13)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I dont get how anyone would be happy if we would use pick 1 for GWS Shiel/Scully/Setterfield.

Who would even want Scully who probably only has 3 yrs left of good footy in him. For me it is a no brainer that that we offer future 1st and this years 2nd for Shiel and Setterfield and take pick 1 to the draft and nab Walsh.
From all reports Scully is a fitness freak if his body held up he could easily be another Simpson and play till he's 35 .

I dunno Scully's injury situation. If at full power, he'd be a fantastic addition to our team. Really fantastic.

This year our young midfield struggled SO MUCH with run, spread, covering the ground, whatever you want to call the same thing. This is Scully's strength and he's properly elite at it.

The deal for Shiel - which I was told a few weeks ago - goes something like:

2019 1st + Pick 24 & 25 for Shiel, Setterfield & Pick 13

Say we finish 14th next year, it effectively NETs GWS with pick 3 for the pair (in points).

Pick 13 then sent to Crows for McGovern

Club is confident they can get at least 2 second rounders back through the state league player trades and/ or an experienced player.

I dunno Scully's injury situation. If at full power, he'd be a fantastic addition to our team. Really fantastic.

This year our young midfield struggled SO MUCH with run, spread, covering the ground, whatever you want to call the same thing. This is Scully's strength and he's properly elite at it.

Scully would concern me. Did Egan ever play for Cats again ?
Has Thomas ever been the elite player he was before his injury ?
Will Scully ever get close to what he was before this injury ?

Say we finish 14th next year, it effectively NETs GWS with pick 3 for the pair (in points).

Club is confident they can get at least 2 second rounders back through the state league player trades and/ or an experienced player.
Sounds good in theory but got no idea if completely made up as I on the internet. By trade week this probably does not even get near it, sadly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the best of the proposed deals so far.

Shiel, Setterfield, McGovern and Walsh.

Scully would concern me. Did Egan ever play for Cats again ?
Has Thomas ever been the elite player he was before his injury ?
Will Scully ever get close to what he was before this injury ?

So it's possible his inclusion in the rumoured deal is not as a sweetener for Carlton, but for GWS. "Please take this large salary for a player who can no longer deliver". Could be win-win, still.

If it was my choice I’d pay for Shiel setterfield and Scully. I’d pay 1. That’s because that’s what we’ve always done. Look at Melbourne are they doing so bad without Kelly? If we can keep 1 and still get Shiel and setterfield I’m very happy. People forget the impact this has on future prospects. Robbie gray is an UFA in 2019. Add him and it’s a premiership quality list in 2020.

No to Scully ideally. I see some intangible benefits in getting him across, even if he's a little delayed in getting onto the park. Would be a great player to have around the club to help push and develop guys like O'Brien and Williamson (we've got Ed for this, but Scully is on another level).

That being said, if that's the offer from GWS, then it's simply a starting point for negotiations.

Counter offer:
Pick 1
for
Shiel, Setterfield and Adam Kennedy.

I'd also push for a Jones/Finlayson swap, with us paying Jones' salary.

Turn 25 and a state league selection into McGovern (either by trading it directly to Adelaide, or involving another club to secure a pick in the teens).

The I'd be cheeky and try to trade our future first and Casboult for one of GC's top 5 picks (the one they get for May). Use that to take Rankine, Rozee or Smith.

Best available with our remaining second rounder.

Hickmott or BSOS with our last ND pick, whichever is bid on. The other as a rookie.

Fasolo via free agency.

Best available mid or forward for our second state league selection. No need for Hugh Goddard or either Collins.

OUT: Jones, Casboult, Picks 1, 25, 2019 first
IN: Shiel, Setterfield, McGovern, Kennedy, Finlayson
DRAFT: Pick 5 (Rankine/Rozee/Smith), Pick 26 (best available), Pick 66 (Hickmott)
ROOKIE: BSOS
FA: Fasolo

There's the 10 changes.

OUT: O'Shea, Mullett, Byrne, Wright, Casboult, Jones, Graham, Phillips, JGM, Shaw, Silvagni
Move Lamb and Kerridge to the rookie list.

Seniors:
Simpson, Marchbank, Plowman
Weitering, Finlayson, Docherty
A. Kennedy, Shiel, Curnow
Kreuzer, Cripps, Murphy
Fisher, Curnow, SPS
Fasolo, McKay, McGovern
I/C: Dow, O'Brien, Williamson, Pick 5

Reserves:
Garlett, Rowe, Lamb
Schumacher, Macreadie, Thomas
Lang, Cuningham, Kerridge
Lobbe, Setterfield, M. Kennedy
Hickmott, TDK, Pickett
Lebois, Kerr, JSOS
I/C: Polson, BSOS, Pick 26, McDaid

Feel like I've forgotten a player in there somewhere...

Make it happen, SOS.

This is the best of the proposed deals so far.

Shiel, Setterfield, McGovern and Walsh.

This is ok as long as we get the second rounders back for the mature age- maybe 13 and mature age adl for MM and a second rounder. 13 for MM seems slightly overs but I wouldn’t be totally averse to that trade.

ADL would then be keen to turn their three first rounders into something lower I would have thought, potentially with GCS.

So it's possible his inclusion in the rumoured deal is not as a sweetener for Carlton, but for GWS. "Please take this large salary for a player who can no longer deliver". Could be win-win, still.

Got no idea about rumour. Not paid much attention yesterday to anything but if asking about Scully in isolation I have concerns based on those questions in my mind about him. I hope for GWS sake he full recovers from ankle injury. To put all your weight on ankle it is not easy if it not 100% right ever again. I hope it is for his sake.

Club is confident they can get at least 2 second rounders back through the state league player trades and/ or an experienced player.]
That sounds too good to be true. I’d take that and run! Maybe with Adelaide’s rumoured interest in McAdam we pass that on with 13 and get 18 back!

He's literally the best in the league at it.

I'd actually be upset if that's all we had to show for those picks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back