Bluemour Discussion Thread XII - Facts Not Welcome (cont in pt 13)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

For us or GWS? Hawthorn have pick 14 on offer, plus anything else (possibly Ceglar) for Shiel.

I reckon GWS would prefer our offer but depends on how keen they are to hold on to setterfield. Seems they are happy to let Shiel go for cap reasons, nothing else.

Am I the only one who thinks a private plane to Noosa smells a little of desperation?

Yeah, seems a bit OTT.
SOS could have just called him up and said "Hey Dylan, you busy later? How about meeting Bolts and I down the pub later for a beer and a bit of a yarn? No, don't worry about that, we'll put it on Bruce's tab, he won't notice. Around 7? See you then mate!"
That would be more the Australian way. Flying him to Noosa is way too "rock star".

Interesting this proposed trade of Shiel, Setterfield & Scully.
Initial look you go, wow, 2 really good mids and an untried kid with a lot of potential...

But it is really weird that GWS is selling off players who are in a sell low position.

1. Shiel will be a RFA next year, subsequently even a 1st round compensation would be expected to be mid teens next year.
2. Scully coming off a broken leg/ankle. You would hope a very thorough fitness test is involved.
3. setterfield coming of an acl.

If all 3 were at the top of their games this would be a high price, but they are probably priced as low as they could be atm.
Maybe that is why we are trying to buy and got into their ears?

summary: it would appear too much risk involved for trading #1. Hard to gauge without knowing real impacts to scully/setterfield going forth.

Not sure why some are bagging Scully. The guy is an elite running machine.
After full recovery, the guy will be one of the best runners well into his 30s. Kinda like Booma harvey.
I am a big rap for Scully, IF he comes as steak knives.
When we see his run and spread in a Blues jumper, think we might be all be smiling.
I've got a good feeling about this year's trade.

Next year we will be the Giant Blues!!

Gee I already feel so bloody sorry for Walsh with some of the expectations he will have on him if we draft him.

Also people keep saying just trade a future first for Shiel. GWS could have already told clubs the only way they trade him is for picks for this season. Pick 1 is our only option if they have done something like this so you try and make the most out of it. Scully, Setterfield and Shiel is huge overs for one and I'd actually guess we would be throwing more their way if there was any truth in it.
Also, seriously stop saying we are trading away our future if pick 1 is traded. If we recruit Walsh and he is a bust or gets Trengove type injuries do people really think our future is stuffed?
Or if he breaks his leg the week before a grand final do you think we than have noway of winning because he was our only chance of success?
SOS, Bolts and crew may just be following successful models of trying to develop players (which is the most important thing now we have talent) by making our side competitive. That alone could be better than 3 number 1 picks, as we have shown in the past.

Maybe I'm way off but if Shiel nominates us and GWS want a pick this season I can't see SOS saying no for the sake of a Pick 1 instead of a future pick ~3 especially because we can get nearly double for Pick 1 than we can for pick 3.

Situations like this are a massive reason why clubs need to have more control over players and trade discussions.

Carlton and Hawthorn can butter up Shiel all they like but ultimately it should be up to GWS and where they can get the best trade currency, which is us.

Gee I already feel so bloody sorry for Walsh with some of the expectations he will have on him if we draft him.

Also people keep saying just trade a future first for Shiel. GWS could have already told clubs the only way they trade him is for picks for this season. Pick 1 is our only option if they have done something like this so you try and make the most out of it. Scully, Setterfield and Shiel is huge overs for one and I'd actually guess we would be throwing more their way if there was any truth in it.
Also, seriously stop saying we are trading away our future if pick 1 is traded. If we recruit Walsh and he is a bust or gets Trengove type injuries do people really think our future is stuffed?
Or if he breaks his leg the week before a grand final do you think we than have noway of winning because he was our only chance of success?
SOS, Bolts and crew may just be following successful models of trying to develop players (which is the most important thing now we have talent) by making our side competitive. That alone could be better than 3 number 1 picks, as we have shown in the past.

Maybe I'm way off but if Shiel nominates us and GWS want a pick this season I can't see SOS saying no for the sake of a Pick 1 instead of a future pick ~3 especially because we can get nearly double for Pick 1 than we can for pick 3.

Recruiters NEVER consider these options when looking at draftees at the point end of the draft, EVER

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Situations like this are a massive reason why clubs need to have more control over players and trade discussions.

Carlton and Hawthorn can butter up Shiel all they like but ultimately it should be up to GWS and where they can get the best trade currency, which is us.

Not that straightforward. He could equally say I want to see out my contract and make my own choice next year. They seem to be trading him as much for their own purposes, which means they have to play ball with him too.

I’ve heard bombers were keen on Scully and I’m sure they’d pay well for him.

Don't see a teetotaler fitting into that culture....

If SOS can use next year's first and whatever to net Shiel / Scully / Setterfield / McGovern and keep pick#1 for this trade period - he will be seen to have leapfrogged every other list manager and negotiator in AFL. Such a scenario effectively sets up a core of very talented young backs/forwards and midfield supported by three of the game's established superstars in Cripps/Shiel and Scully.

Where do I sign??

For all those who question 'a fit' Scully's worth - go watch some games of AFL - he is by far and away GWS's best each way runner and quite capable of winning his own ball. Still, it is valid to be cautious about his injury and what his running power is reduced to now or looking forward. Setterfield too would have huge question marks about his capacity to actually stay fit ...both Carlton and GWS would know this, and no doubt all be weighed up in negotiations - assuming Shiel wants to come.

Interesting to note that all of Kennedy/Marchbank/Pickett came to Carlton from GWS with various levels of injury and surgeries - and to be fair each of them has not been unaffected by injury since arriving. Setterfield and Scully would be a continuation of SOS's willingness to bet on longer term recovery.

Alternatively - how much do Carlton pay in picks for 'just' Scully and Setterfield - if Shiel goes to Hawform or whoever else....I'd be interested in that deal too.

FFS our kids were smashed all season- what part of they don’t have ****ing tank yet do u not understand! an elite 2 way runner to alleviate pressure would be a godsend! Coupled with an AA mid & a talented kid would be unbelievable! It’s not a quick fix, it’s building a long term, sustainable mid field with our kids given a break to develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back