Bluemour Discussion Thread XIII - Facts Not Welcome

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeh Adelaide could do bloody well out of this. If they get our ~27 and ~42 add that to ~37 and go get pick 13 from Sydney who will be looking for points.

They could turn MM and ~37 into McAdam and Pick13

Hate to say it but Kudos to the bombers for getting Shiel. But are we looking for anyone else other than Setter field, McGovern and Fas?
More to come maybe some surprises apparently

Think SoS gave us a hint about Shiel in his trade update on Monday. 1) Referenced that getting them interested was only part of the deal and that the contracted draft pick exchange is not straight forward. 2) His persona was not someone who was about to sign Shiel.

FWIW, I believe our second most glaring hole is finding a player with grunt, it's what we missed from ASOS this year. If Jones has been earmarked for a trade and we have clearly missed DS, what's stopping us from going after May from GCS. Quality KPD, they are interested in Levi and Jones if my memory serves me right and we have cap space. If there is no other quality mid I'd be going after May.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My "gut feel" is SOS held firm on Pick One and GWS have said to Shiel we can't get a deal done with Blues. Essendon upped their money to around our offer and was happy to deal 2 x first round picks so he picked them

I don't believe it had anything to do with he didn't want to come to us. If this is right I believe SOS has done the right thing
I wholeheartedly agree with this. Its why Silvagni is good at his job and why we employed him in that capacity. Lets say he got sucked into the bidding war and threw it all at Shiel (or whomever). So we win a contest but at what price? Well basically at the price of the securing of one player making all our efforts to build slow and solid with sensible contracts and fair trades look like nothing more than a platitude.
I hear the contract length Shiel was offered is a big factor. Well go back and read the book Larrikins and Legends and it shows us graphically how fleeting a premiership team and form is. So many players have a short span and 5, 7, 10 year contracts are just asking for trouble. I always look to what Alex Fergusson achieved at Manchester United and the thing that is most clear to me is that sucess came in no small part from having a different side for each campaign. Long term contracts can lock a team into something past its best.

It's not so much the players we get or don't get that affects my view of the club. It's how they are coached and how they are managed.

Having had a review of the medical department and Andrew Russell coming across from Hawthorn, hopefully this club will pull its head in and not rush players back onto the field like they did with 6 of them this year.

At the same time, they need to stop being taught safe, bruise-free footy. It's slowing down the players' ability to think quickly and it leads to a lot of panicking and turning the ball over when they try to return to fast play.

I hope for the likes of Gov, Setters, Barlow, Tyson, Walsh, etc. But that alone isn't going to cut it. There needs to be a couple changes in the system.

Signed up as I needed to rant.

The plan was to go to the draft for three years which we've done - as it turns out, this strategy results in us having Pick #1, which really should be the perfect platform to use to now attract senior quality players. Lo and behold, the allure of another high pick sees us deviate from the plan and hold firm to go to the draft, yet again.

Irrespective of how good Walsh may be down the track, how anyone can preference him over an established mid like Shiel shows how defeatist we've become. Posters have praised us all year for not deviating from the plan, yet are now celebrating that missing Shiel guarantees us pick #1.

What will change next year when we have a top 3 pick with another strong crop on offer. No one was talking about Walsh 12 months ago, and guarantee there will be another Walsh next year. There always is.

We're never going to be contenders without being aggressive and moving away from chasing the best new kid in the land. We're going to enter next year with 4 number 1 picks/9 top 5 picks/12 top 10 picks/18 first round picks. We would have got something back for pick 1 if we offered it for Shiel - who knows, still possibly the best kid 5 years from now...

McGovern and Setterfield will no doubt be great additions, neither improves our need for mids in the 23-27 year age bracket that the club stated was the plan. If they are all we get, see you back here in 12 months in exact the same position, and no more attractive for the next 'Shiel' on offer...

But Shiel didn’t pick us...#1 pick has nothing to do with his decision to play at Essendon

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back