Bluemour Discussion Thread XIV - Facts Not Welcome

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think if i was told during the bye this year that our end of season acquisitions would be McGovern, Setterfield, Fasolo, Newman (hopefully), Walsh (or our #1 ranked player in the draft) and a F/S or two I would have been pretty stoked.

A 3rd tall/swingman, a smallish goal kicking forward, 2 gun young mids, a decent hbf plus probably a tall defender in Ben and maybe a winger/def in Hickmott.

Oldest player not much older than Doc so pretty much all in the ‘list within a list’.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Our list is full of talent and has move positions covered. What we have brought in (or will) will help us enormously. The next 2-3 years will be about bringing in a couple of draftees and filling some holes. Now is about development

Next years draft? What about last years draft?

I doubt he would have gone before Dow and Cerra. Maybe just before Brayshaw.
Thanks Harker....so if we used our 2019 1st and potentially ended up with Smith this year....no problem?
All based on theoretically getting 5 off GC....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Question for ITK people....if Smith was in next year's draft, where roughly would you think he would be taken?
easier to look at "if he was in last year's draft", not "next" IMO.

I'd be interested how he stacks up against that group of elite small or mid prospects: Cerra, Dow, Brayshaw, LDU, Stephenson, Rayner

Part of the Wingard trade ……

Still doesn't make sense. Quality key position players are hard to come by

Hawks are doing what the saints did prior to their great decline (leading up to '10)

They do but what would you prefer?
Scully Scrimshaw Wingard (lose Burton & Pick 15) or

McGovern Setterfield Faslo Walsh :)

Depends..if my club finished in the top 6 or so... the top group

If my club finished stone cold motherless last.. the bottom group.

The Hawthorn arrogance of being able to fix anyone is a laugh. Hawks have had plenty of failures with players. Mitch Thorp, Dayle Garlett, Ty Vickery, Hartung, O'Rourke plus a whole heap of picks, a lot of them their firsts who didn't turn out over the years.

Hawthorn are a good side because they built a core group of players with early draft picks, priority picks and had a no dickheads policy and have drafted well and managed their books well over the years, same as we are doing except it's taking us longer, they didn't do a clean out and had more resources to work with and didn't take as long as we did to put a strong focus on building the best footy department.

Hawks had the same arrogance we did in the early 2000s. Impossible to associate them with failure, not embracing the draft much, just topping up. Messiah complex over their coach and their way of doing things. Aging list full of all australians and premiership players who will be gone over the next few years. Only difference is they are doing a good job at getting ready for the next rebuild but things can happen quickly.

Wingard will be a good get but they will lose a good player. I wouldn't be overly excited over the others. Hawks have a good culture because they bring in the right players, not so much from bring in players and changing them. They have done alright but haven't done as well as people think. Same with Essendon, they will do well but end of the day they will probably be walking away with the one good player. He'll be good for them but he's just one man.

Things could really go well for Hawthorn or it could all blow up big time. They seem to be taking bigger and bigger risks lately with taking players who may not have great bodies and perhaps players who may not have the ability to mental application. But so are we. For us it backfired big last year.

Tell you one thing the Hawks just get stuff done ….. unreal …..
They certainly back themselves in.

They trust themselves to
A) return Wingard to his previous form (remember how good that guy was?) or get him in the midfield for extended period of time.
B) knock out whatever turned us and other clubs off Scrimshaw as well as develop him as a footballer and
C) Get Scully back to 2016-2017 form.

That's a massive ask and not one we would contemplate (I think) if we were in a similar position .

Could work but I am praying for the earth to open up and swallow them TBH.

I'd prefer Burton

Understand but I reckon Clarko wants another cup before he finishes up …. remember the Hawks have got stuff all to trade yet they have bought in Scrimshaw/Scully,/Wingard for Pick 15, Burton and some change …. all midfielders.

I don't subscribe to the view that the AFL have a vendetta against our club but does anyone seriously believe that, if we were conducting the kind of (apparent) salary cap induced fire sale of contracted players that GWS are embroiled in, that we wouldn't have a team of auditors on our doorstep to investigate our 2018 Salary Cap?
Maybe the AFL has already caught them, insisted they fix it immediately on the slide :think:

The Hawthorn arrogance of being able to fix anyone is a laugh. Hawks have had plenty of failures with players. Mitch Thorp, Dayle Garlett, Ty Vickery, Hartung, O'Rourke plus a whole heap of picks, a lot of them their firsts who didn't turn out over the years.

Hawthorn are a good side because they built a core group of players with early draft picks, priority picks and had a no dickheads policy and have drafted well and managed their books well over the years, same as we are doing except it's taking us longer, they didn't do a clean out and had more resources to work with and didn't take as long as we did to put a strong focus on building the best footy department.

Hawks had the same arrogance we did in the early 2000s. Impossible to associate them with failure, not embracing the draft much, just topping up. Messiah complex over their coach and their way of doing things. Aging list full of all australians and premiership players who will be gone over the next few years. Only difference is they are doing a good job at getting ready for the next rebuild but things can happen quickly.

Wingard will be a good get but they will lose a good player. I wouldn't be overly excited over the others. Hawks have a good culture because they bring in the right players, not so much from bring in players and changing them. They have done alright but haven't done as well as people think. Same with Essendon, they will do well but end of the day they will probably be walking away with the one good player. He'll be good for them but he's just one man.

Things could really go well for Hawthorn or it could all blow up big time. They seem to be taking bigger and bigger risks lately with taking players who may not have great bodies and perhaps players who may not have the ability to mental application. But so are we. For us it backfired big last year.

I have also seen this predicted for the last 4 years …. hasn't happened yet …...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back