Bluemour Discussion Thread XIV - Facts Not Welcome

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still doesn't make sense. Quality key position players are hard to come by

Hawks are doing what the saints did prior to their great decline (leading up to '10)

Think the Hawks have been doing this for years. Gibson, Hale, Burgoyne, Gunston, Lake, Frawley, Mitchell, O'Meara are some that spring to mind.

It seems to have worked so far so I'd say let's not bury them just yet.

I dreamt last night that someone I know at the club told me our plans for the last day of trade period and I posted the Bluemour on bigfooty.

Some people dream about playing in an AFL premiership, others dream about their team winning the flag.

Nope, not me. I dream about posting in the NO DISCUSSION thread.

It's a bit sad that even in my imagination that is the pinnacle of my sporting achievement.

But seriously, the glory of my very own bluemour? Ah......it was a great dream.

I dreamt that we used pick ten on Eddie betts last night so odd. I was even baffled in my dream

Think the Hawks have been doing this for years. Gibson, Hale, Burgoyne, Gunston, Lake, Frawley, Mitchell, O'Meara are some that spring to mind.

True enough.

Hawks are a bit like the evil baddy in a scary movie, just when you think they're dead, be ready for a return.

Understand but I reckon Clarko wants another cup before he finishes up …. remember the Hawks have got stuff all to trade yet they have bought in Scrimshaw/Scully,/Wingard for Pick 15, Burton and some change …. all midfielders.

Agree. Clarkson will have a clear plan.

From the outside getting rid of a young talented player like Burton can effect the bond of players. I'm not a huge fan of Wingard either

There's a part of me that is worried that teams like Hawthorn will see us as a source of young talent over the next few years.
Not overly worried, unless we have another year like 2018. Good thing SOS tends to not let our valuable players enter the last year of their contracts though.

Dodo Diadora should lose his job if he stuffs up the Shiel deal.

What do essendon see in him? Excluding last trade period

Pretty hard to exclude the last trade period from his resume he could rest on those laurels for a few more years. Has any list manager ever traded in a best and fairest, 4th in the best and fairest and leading goal kicker in the same year.

However their biggest need was a Jobe Watson replacement. Dylan Shiel isn't quite the same but he probably has more scoreboard impact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a part of me that is worried that teams like Hawthorn will see us as a source of young talent over the next few years.
Not overly worried, unless we have another year like 2018. Good thing SOS tends to not let our valuable players enter the last year of their contracts though.

If SOS sets us up like GWS pushing for a Grand Final with so much talent that players we trade out could form their own team and still beat teams in the bottom 6. I'll be very happy.

They certainly back themselves in.

They trust themselves to
A) return Wingard to his previous form (remember how good that guy was?) or get him in the midfield for extended period of time.
B) knock out whatever turned us and other clubs off Scrimshaw as well as develop him as a footballer and
C) Get Scully back to 2016-2017 form.

That's a massive ask and not one we would contemplate (I think) if we were in a similar position .

Could work but I am praying for the earth to open up and swallow them TBH.

While this is true it is also actually the spin off of a core of players and a culture that set up success long ago which breeds a tradition of success. What has happened is that over 13 seasons, 4 premierships (an outstanding result) covers over 8-9 relatively average years.

It’s both frustrating and at the same time a fair perception that the Hawks have worked at long term; I think the Blues are charting a similar but necessarily different path to sustained success.

So the CFC are going to get it wrong.........again. All that intel and they just can't get it right. Damn. :)
Cerra went at 5, with Brayshaw and Dow ahead of him. How does that work?
I know. Personal opinion. Professional opinion said otherwise. :)

Everyone sees things differently and again for me it would be Dow and Walsh as the two mids I'd want most from the past two years and it seems that at least the brains-trust at the CFC feel the same. :)
Big call considering we haven't even drafted Walsh. :p .........and let's just say we have a bit of luck and fall in Shiel at the end of day, then I wouldn't mind SOS revisiting the Lukosius option. :)

FWIW, if there's a gaping hole in our list it's a player with a mullet. That makes Smith an absolute :padlock:

While this is true it is also actually the spin off of a core of players and a culture that set up success long ago which breeds a tradition of success. What has happened is that over 13 seasons, 4 premierships (an outstanding result) covers over 8-9 relatively average years.

It’s both frustrating and at the same time a fair perception that the Hawks have worked at long term; I think the Blues are charting a similar but necessarily different path to sustained success.
Agreed.

It's why I don't think we'd do same even if we had finished the same way in 2018 with the same list profile .

I've heard Burton on the outer with players. Hodge had him by the throat in 2017

I think on trade radio Barrett(?) eluded to verbal argy bargy in the exit meeting between Burton and Clarko.

This deal ... I don't get it

I wonder what the Hawks board thinks

They are super sensitive at the moment.

I think they all know they have traversed the Plains of success and are now approaching the cliff of despair

They had franklin, roughed, Mitchell, hodge, rioli, and Lewis as a very strong core of drafted players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back