Bluemour Discussion Thread XIV - Facts Not Welcome

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerra went at 5, with Brayshaw and Dow ahead of him. How does that work?
I know. Personal opinion. Professional opinion said otherwise. :)

Everyone sees things differently and again for me it would be Dow and Walsh as the two mids I'd want most from the past two years and it seems that at least the brains-trust at the CFC feel the same. :)
I think Smith would have climbed up the rankings if he got to play out the season and TAC finals. Bottom agers often come home strong.

All the deals have been sorted and will be done.
Definately arranged for television tonight.
The AFL not that far removed from the WWE these days in delivering entertainment first and foremost as entertainment =$$$ and thats always the bottom line for the AFL ...

They won't all be sorted.

Just like previous years there will be deals that get done with minutes to go because one side or the other caves.... or do an Adelaide and have to try again the following year.

All the deals have been sorted and will be done.
Definately arranged for television tonight.
The AFL not that far removed from the WWE these days in delivering entertainment first and foremost as entertainment =$$$ and thats always the bottom line for the AFL ...

They certainly used XFL as a blueprint for gameday coverage.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-23/could-suns-duo-become-secondchance-blues

There's also nothing stopping the kid from signing a new, longer deal, with a lower average wage.

As for the article, here's what I got out of it:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-16/bargain-or-bust-question-marks-over-new-hawk

That, plus his injury history, is what's scared teams away.

Footy's got some serious image and culture problems at the moment, so I'm pretty disappointed that as a rebuilding club, we're not interested in rolling up our sleeves and trying to better define where AFL fits in the national identity, and what it can do for the general public. If AFL House, the clubs and broadcasters are still selling that tribal/underdog nonsense in 10 years time, the game's growth will suffer.

One way we can drive that kind of change is coming up with a way to convince a kid like Scrimshaw what he and others get out of him performing on match day. The dream of being a sports star used to be a pure, community-centric one for many people, and I think that's an archetype that this kid would embrace with a bit of guidance.
There have always been questions surrounding Scrimshaw my friend......and the answers to those questions didn't always make for pretty reading. IIRC gandaal was a big Scrimshaw fan in his draft year and received a relatively blunt reply by one of ericpascoe, barass70 or Marc Shmurf 3 that simply stated:
Forget Scrimshaw. He won't pass the No Dickheads Test.
I've never seen one of them knock a potential draft or trade target before or since. At the time I remember thinking "WOW", but that statement has proven to be prophetic.

Scrimshaw's manager said when interviewed on SEN (Whateley 27/9/18) that:
Jack's probably struggled with being a professional AFL footballer and what that entails. He's one we'll be trying to orchestrate a trade back home if possible.....

Interestingly this story was pulled down within an hour of being put up:

Scrimshaw.jpg

TBH, despite his enormous talent, I think this is where the due diligence processes that the club has in place has allowed us to dodge a bullet here. JMO.

Would be hilarious if the AFL have asked clubs to do this and someone gets cold feet making a deal fall over. The clubs would publicly blow the whistle on this shameless grandstanding. Fallout would be interesting

Dont rock the boat , there's plenty of money in this for all of us.
So said Eddie to all the snout in trough brigade running the clubs these days.
Eddie's mantra will always hold true because humans will always back self interest ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think if i was told during the bye this year that our end of season acquisitions would be McGovern, Setterfield, Fasolo, Newman (hopefully), Walsh (or our #1 ranked player in the draft) and a F/S or two I would have been pretty stoked.

A 3rd tall/swingman, a smallish goal kicking forward, 2 gun young mids, a decent hbf plus probably a tall defender in Ben and maybe a winger/def in Hickmott.

Oldest player not much older than Doc so pretty much all in the ‘list within a list’.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

There have always been questions surrounding Scrimshaw my friend......and the answers to those questions didn't always make for pretty reading. IIRC gandaal was a big Scrimshaw fan in his draft year and received a relatively blunt reply by one of ericpascoe, barass70 or Marc Shmurf 3 that simply stated:

I've never seen one of them knock a potential draft or trade target before or since. At the time I remember thinking "WOW", but that statement has proven to be prophetic.

Scrimshaw's manager said when interviewed on SEN (Whateley 27/9/18) that:

Interestingly this story was pulled down within an hour of being put up:

View attachment 574912

TBH, despite his enormous talent, I think this is where the due diligence processes that the club has in place has allowed us to dodge a bullet here. JMO.

This is always the rider when people like myself are making observations on young players. I can only go on football ability and what I see. A huge part of recruitment is attitude and the mental application of a young player. It's massive

Doesn't matter. He adds to our best 30-35, helps with depth, creates further competition for spots, is a mature body and can play several positions. That is what we need

This. We need the players competing for spots. Especially the kids. They cannot just expect to get gifted a spot on the team each weekend.

Competition is good.

I don't subscribe to the view that the AFL have a vendetta against our club but does anyone seriously believe that, if we were conducting the kind of (apparent) salary cap induced fire sale of contracted players that GWS are embroiled in, that we wouldn't have a team of auditors on our doorstep to investigate our 2018 Salary Cap?

I think if i was told during the bye this year that our end of season acquisitions would be McGovern, Setterfield, Fasolo, Newman (hopefully), Walsh (or our #1 ranked player in the draft) and a F/S or two I would have been pretty stoked.

A 3rd tall/swingman, a smallish goal kicking forward, 2 gun young mids, a decent hbf plus probably a tall defender in Ben and maybe a winger/def in Hickmott.

Oldest player not much older than Doc so pretty much all in the ‘list within a list’.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
100%!! We are slowly but surely building a good competitive list, Mullett, Shaw and those likes were just instant fill in players. We can’t replace the whole list with quality instantly, it’s physically impossible. Now we start building depth and finding out who really wants a spot in the 22! Happy with what SOS is doing so far!

This. We need the players competing for spots. Especially the kids. They cannot just expect to get gifted a spot on the team each weekend.

Competition is good.

It needs to be our biggest focus in 2019. We have the talent. Depth and a very good "reserves" side will make so much difference to our success and development

Doesn't matter. He adds to our best 30-35, helps with depth, creates further competition for spots, is a mature body and can play several positions. That is what we need

Agreed. Best 22 is a pretty meaningless concept as there will almost always be injuries, best 30 is more relevant and Newman will definitely be in our best 30 next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back