Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it is just a hunch at this stage, but I think one of the new Irish boys will become best 22 next year. Absolute running MACHINES!!!

Running is good and all, but can they football?

setana_o'hailpin.jpg

I know it is just a hunch at this stage, but I think one of the new Irish boys will become best 22 next year. Absolute running MACHINES!!!
Heard that they were both very impressive in their visit to the club last month. Be interested to hear if any of our itk's heard similar.

Heard that they were both very impressive in their visit to the club last month. Be interested to hear if any of our itk's heard similar.

A couple of former premiership players suggested that Monahan might be ready to go midway through next year. Has all of the mental and physical attributes. One of the two is already a "quality kick" but it's going to be about finding and learning "touch" and understanding the speed of the game over the summer, preseason and early VFL games to see how quickly they can come into the side if at all next year.

A couple of former premiership players suggested that Monahan might be ready to go midway through next year. Has all of the mental and physical attributes. One of the two is already a "quality kick" but it's going to be about finding and learning "touch" and understanding the speed of the game over the summer, preseason and early VFL games to see how quickly they can come into the side if at all next year.
Thanks Wickz. Similar to what I'd heard. Monahan a little ahead at this stage.

I forgot about these pickups, let’s hope even one of them makes it. Recruiters have a pretty good eye for the Irishmen of late.

We beat half a dozen or more teams to both so the wide opinion of notb is very high.

I think you're overvaluing Hollands. Dow is a candidate as a 4th midfielder in our setup if we re-jigged things slightly, while Hollands isn't even in the frame.

If we're looking at Hollands that way, he's insurance for losing Kennedy.

Can definitely dance around an opponent, but change of direction at full pace is a little more challenging after the first cut. Don't get me wrong - he has elite midfielder written all over him - but he doesn't present as an athletic point of difference in our setup.

We'd have to expect some amazing centre bounce cameos by our forward/mid hybrids to compensate, and neither Hollands brother is going to cut it. Maybe we're finally thinking midfield with Kemp?
I think he is the type of midfielder our list certainly requires which we actually need to start trending in the direction of midfielders that have a balance of inside/outside, speed & agility that spread & run with good foot skills…
I rate him very highly after McKercher he is imo the best pure midfielder in the top end of the draft, our developing reserves stocks are paper thin he would make a great addition to the current midfield depth…

Last edited:
Any word on what position they might be developed in? It seems like every decent Irish recruit ends up playing halfback. Probably a combination of their attributes and also the fact it is an easier role to learn for someone knew to the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least they should be able to chase & pressure….also will learn kicking technique without years worth of flaws or bad habits!

Setanta had a good kicking technique. Just ask Cloke.

Who was considered a high-risk pick?
for us? I'd say SPS, was considered supremely talented but with reservations about strength, endurance and application. LOB probably another for where he was taken.

Philip maybe another although injuries have made it a moot point.

Heaps with GWS

As I said if you take the ones who maybe aren't AFL ready from day one you need the systems in place to enhance/mitigate the strengths and weaknesses.

for us? I'd say SPS, was considered supremely talented but with reservations about strength, endurance and application. LOB probably another for where he was taken.

Heaps with GWS

As I said if you take the ones who maybe aren't AFL ready from day one you need the systems in place to enhance/mitigate the strengths and weaknesses.
We stuffed up SPS royally when he came in. Bloke was hard AF but lightly built. After his first shoulder injury he was never the same.
We also worked hard to grind the creativity out of his game which was detrimental to him & to us.

Heaps with GWS

Samo was very highly rated. I don't think he would be considered high-risk.
LOB, maybe. But again, was considered there abouts in the draft.
Philp maybe slightly high, but I don't think he was considered high risk, and yeah, injuries mean we have no idea.

Giants were different. Heaps of picks, and have to build an entire list. It's very different to an established club.
However you could say that our total rebuild had a lot of similarities, without the same draft capital.

We stuffed up SPS royally when he came in. Bloke was hard AF but lightly built. After his first shoulder injury he was never the same.
We also worked hard to grind the creativity out of his game which was detrimental to him & to us.
He tore the Filth apart in his 7th game.
What could have been.

I would agree, IMO you need talent, application and guidance to become a great player and he really only had the talent he come in with. Dow too to a certain extent.

I'm much more comfortable with taking talent over reliability now we have an inhouse VFL team and especially with Luke Power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back