Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll say this for the Suns under previous coaches and it may provide some context with why they've struggled since they came into the league.

They were one of the few - maybe only club - in the competition who didn't actively encourage player mentoring by the older and more experienced or better players to the younger players

It was left to the mature players to take a kid under their wing.

Is it any surprise then that we constant hear about all of these players loaded with potential who struggle to learn professionalism and hard training practices, etc ?

When the vets do take a younger player on they usually begin to thrive. Flanders got taken on this year as did Elijah Rowell - an absolute training machine - worked closely with Humphrey. All of it on the player's own back

Contrast this with how we've gotten our development system running where not only are they coached right but the players work closely with one another and it's no surprise that our development is firing and so many of their players have struggled.

I know that Carlton has been pro-active on mentoring for a while.

Although in years gone by we have probably lacked mature, disciplined, team-oriented and personable veterans to make the most of this.

I'd say this would be a strength of ours now.

I know that Carlton has been pro-active on mentoring for a while.

Although in years gone by we have probably lacked mature, disciplined, team-oriented and personable veterans to make the most of this.

I'd say this would be a strength of ours now.
Imagining Fev's mentoring

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

SOS really showing how petty he is now. Has it taken for him to be at another club for us to see this, or is there a bit extra because its us? Him and Dodo may be closer than we thought.

(I don't think its just us given the Henry trade issues)
SOS was always a little bit Dodo.
But now he's gone full Dodo.

Goes up a notch if at least one of them decides to join debating at school…

Miss 12yo joined debating this year. 🤦‍♂️

She wanted to see the Barbie movie with her friends, so she wrote up a six-slide presentation and pitched all the parents on why they should say yes. It worked.

She wanted to move tables in class but her teacher said he didn't see the point. So she wrote up a pitch about how moving tables would improve classroom harmony and performance. Her teacher let her pick her own table.

Mind you, I've never seen her put that much effort into homework... I have no idea where she would have inherited a lackadaisical attitude* towards school from... 🤣🤣🤣

* straight from my year 10 report

Don't think using a dungeon and shackles counts

When my kids were younger, I went to a parenting seminar.

The presenter asked each of us what strategies we used with our kids.

I said "Instead of simply telling my kids what to do, I explained to them the why they should be doing it. And I also liked to explain the flow-on effects if the task wasn't done....and when that doesn't work, I resort to blackmail and bribery".

Miss 12yo joined debating this year. 🤦‍♂️

She wanted to see the Barbie movie with her friends, so she wrote up a six-slide presentation and pitched all the parents on why they should say yes. It worked.

She wanted to move tables in class but her teacher said he didn't see the point. So she wrote up a pitch about how moving tables would improve classroom harmony and performance. Her teacher let her pick her own table.

Mind you, I've never seen her put that much effort into homework... I have no idea where she would have inherited a lackadaisical attitude* towards school from... 🤣🤣🤣

* straight from my year 10 report
“Could achieve more if he applied himself”.

Wait until you have kids doing later high school debating. You won’t have the luxury of seeing their arguments written down- all verbal thinking one the fly. Luckily I still get away with “No, because I said no” from time to time 😂

“Could achieve more if he applied himself”.

The word potential was used so often in my school reports, it was literally referred to in my house as 'the P word'...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't blink
Really?

Is he the right flavour of Vanilla midfielder though? :p

I’ve not followed much of the top 10, as I have assumed they are all out of our reach

I believe he will do well. Was "mentored" by one of their best this past 12 to 18 months and as has been posted by others really started to turn his training performances around this year.

The Suns just weren't a good environment for any player who wasn't an uber professional and that's a huge reason why Dew is gone and what they're hoping Dimma will finally change for them.

Expecting "he trained the house down" reports over the summer and preseason.
Also worth noting that he was picked for their emerging leaders group this year, which seems to suggest that he was setting standards, or leading by example, or mentoring younger team mates -- all things that you'd want in a good recruit.

Reckon the Blues have been in his ear ever since Ollie was selected....

Couldn’t we have walked Acres to the PSD? Yet we offered Freo something they could use.

WC just paid a high 3rd and a 4th for an un contracted player, when they have pick 1 in the PSD.

Other than Nick Stevens, I can’t remember the last time a club took someone against their will in the PSD.

I could see us swapping 22 and 26 for 24 and 28 with GC.

GC will be using the picks to match bids, so they're not going to be taking a player ahead of us.

22 -> 24 means we slide back one live pick behind WC's 23.
26 -> 28 is no change in the live draft order as GC have 27.

Gives GC an extra 112pts for us to move back one of our picks by one live spot.

If we retain our picks it means we only lose out if WC take the player at 23 that we would have wanted at 22. If they're looking at local talent that could be Collard, Hardeman, Tholstrup or Sanchez.

If we're looking to trade our picks to Geelong to move up, it's the same equation for them - both our picks move back 2 spots on the board, but in reality it's only one pick moving back one spot, so hardly any change in the value proposition.

Said earlier this year that E.Hollands looks like he's fallen off a cliff performance wise... so im glad the ITK info supports that and it isn't my eyes going on me at the ripe old age of 27. When he made his debut last year he looked hardened and hungry for opportunity and this year he's looked like a total plodder. Still has a lovely kick on him but was weak, fumbly and timid in 2023.

Hoping being in a team with Ollie with Vossy and Crippa leading the troops will be enough for him to get back on track. His natural talent is massive but he needs a huge pre season and some supportive teammates who will get him back to the game winner he was in juniors.

He was BOG in the VFL Grand Final a few weeks back - so he is capable - get him in a system where he’s wanted and feeding competitively off his brother and we may see a marked improvement.

Just want to give a shout out to all the ITKs.. been in pretty good form.
All well and good, but once more us NITKs are left feeling undervalued and marginalised.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back