Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but i wasnt talking about that. I totally agree our season was great and we had some incredibly good wins.

I was talking about simply not trusting one game (Blue/Pies) to negate gmans points. I dont trust that game/formline.

To your point, i do trust a big collection of games/wins which means a lot and leaves us well placed for next season. I'm bullish.
Your face value test appears to allow you not to trust our win v the Pies but not to allow us any wriggle room for our loss v the giants which seems a bit strange. However I fully agree with your summation. I, also, am bullish.

Doc, Cotts, Hollands, Binns, Acres, occasional Walsh as wingers. Just not a position of need.

It’s all good if you rate who we have as better or if you apply the logic to a certain position.

Even your list above includes a player who’s played zero games (Binns) and Cotts who many think is borderline best 22.

I personally would like Doc to go back to half back and I’ve always thought Duursma to be a half forward/mid, but I think I’m rating him on a few games vision, rather than output.

Your face value test appears to allow you not to trust our win v the Pies but not to allow us any wriggle room for our loss v the giants which seems a bit strange. However I fully agree with your summation. I, also, am bullish.
I think you are reading it the wrong way.

I dont trust both wins. This implies consistency.

I'd offer the same thing about the Pies V Blues game Aph (personal IMO view). Pies went 100% the week before us + travel, and i'd suggest ever so slightly, they werent 100% vs us.

So great for us as we won and crapped on them.

I agree with gman that we need to fine tune/address our midfield speed going fowd and to specifically counter the Pies going fwd. Ultimately that is the context link and why im posting in first place about the Pies/Blues result.
Walsh is our link man, he is our Daicos and H is our most important structural player after Weitering.

Both of them didn’t play against the Pies.

The side the Pies played against us is a better side than the side that played on GF day. They had McStay and Adams against us.

By the way, Cerra got injured early in the 3rd.

Laugh Laughing GIF

Selfie from prelim final day with Arr0w ???

Walsh is our link man, he is our Daicos and H is our most important structural player after Weitering.

Both of them didn’t play against the Pies.

The side the Pies played against us is a better side than the side that played on GF day. They had McStay and Adams against us.

By the way, Cerra got injured early in the 3rd.

Good points. I'll back our guys in against everyone and I perosnally wouldnt swap Cerra/Walsh with any other midfielders in the league which is how high i rate them.

I think AFL matches are now more decided by group effort rather than individuals. But in the context that you have a decent top 10 list to start with, then it's completely about the collective, the transition strategy, and thirdly about the players. It is why intent for me explains most wins.

We need to fear the Pies rather than boast. They just won a grand final with a cardboard cutout at full forward and no key position forwards of any note. It means they won the game with other skillsets that we might find hard to stop (midfield/transition related).

I don't know which posts you have been reading but all I ever hear is "better than what we have" - it's as if trade capital is limitless.

One sticks in my mind from years ago and people were listing having Glass-Mgasker in defence as a reason we didn’t need to target a key defender.

There’s nothing wrong with not rating certain players, if we are debating Duursma or anyone else, ask is he an upgrade on what we have, or do we expect them to be?

I agree with other posters that the wing isn’t a priority so unless Voss thinks Duursma will play half forward then I think we look else where

It does get really hard to discuss stuff in here without saying every time 'Carlton is weally weally good and betterer than everyone else'.

No room for subtlety.

I will now resume with the board programme. Carlton would have annihilated Pies in the grand final based on us beating them in round X.

We would have won against them, no one would have beaten us in the history of the game if we got through Brissy and made the GF

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think we still have list deficiencies, particulary in midfield pace and de Goey/Petracca type burst from the centre. In no way do I think that we came close and so we should rely on the improvement of the list we already have. I look at Brisbane who keep adding components year on year. Pies won a flag by adding components last trade period.

I don't think it's a bad thing to provide a little bit of critical analysis. I think we can improve hand over fist by allowing for multiple ways to win. The contested game is an arduous one and it injures players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d keep Young.

IMHO one of the great benefits of Casboult on the list was he was a capable backup for 3 positions.

KPF
Ruck
KPD

This was great for our list composition because we didn’t need 3 x players to backup 3 positions.

Very valuable to list build - keeping Young means we can have more developing players on our list and/or cover other positions better.
But does Young want to be kept? Fisher has requested a trade to North it's now been reported (Ralphy) with 2 years to go. Players like Young, Fisher and Dow if they feel or feedback given to them is along the lines of this is where you lie at the moment and you're seen as depth for 2024, or your weaknesses are a concern, mentally that'll hurt.

Young round 1 was our best player, super promising in 2023 and from there form slump that make Harry's goal kicking yips seem quite shallow. Followed by rumours abound about his relationship with Weiters and how he's rated. Then come finals S.Durdin not seen for an eternity in the ones and coming off never ending injuries is listed above him as an emergency. Human nature, you get defeated and even if you try to spill your guts to fight back it doesn't always reap rewards, or you just keep going around in a never ending circle of feeling defeated.

Fisher and Dow brought in to cover injuries, do quite well, then sent back to VFL once injured players returned after 1 month+ lay offs (although at least Dow had the carrot in front of him as he kept being made an emergency), told theoretically to "improve aspects"... what aspects? Every player on our list has flaws. Is it that their (Fisher, Dow) strengths aren't considered vital and worthwhile keeping in the side? If that's the case their strengths may be suited elsewhere.

In terms of Casboult would've loved to have kept him, but he'd have waited on injuries like Dow, Fisher, Young to get a game. JSOS may never have played as Casboult could've been the ideal ruck/fwd (even defender as he's shown with us). But at GC he's in the seniors constantly and has been offered contract extension, and has extended his AFL career that once looked like being 0 games (fortunate we had the most injury plagues rucks back then), got his shot and here he is 5 games shy of 200 AFL games.

Surely there os alot more to the Oliver story than Melbourne are letting on. You dont trade one of the best midfielders in the comp from your team unless there is some serious issues going on behind the scenes
The latest Herald Sun story (which someone will be clever enough to archive and post) suggests he showed up late to his exit interview in a condition which concerned Simon Goodwin. It made me wonder exactly what sort of condition you would have to be in to concern Simon “get me some of the good gear” Goodwin.

The latest Herald Sun story (which someone will be clever enough to archive and post) suggests he showed up late to his exit interview in a condition which concerned Simon Goodwin. It made me wonder exactly what sort of condition you would have to be in to concern Simon “get me some of the good gear” Goodwin.
He was probably looking sober and wasn't clutching a form guide, hence Goody's concern.

Probably wore (Oliver) his "say no to drugs and gambling T-shirt", after arriving late coming from an anti-bullying rally.

It’s all good if you rate who we have as better or if you apply the logic to a certain position.

Even your list above includes a player who’s played zero games (Binns) and Cotts who many think is borderline best 22.

I personally would like Doc to go back to half back and I’ve always thought Duursma to be a half forward/mid, but I think I’m rating him on a few games vision, rather than output.
I think Duursma has gone backwards this year but is probably mid pack in the list.

I still think with limited cap and picks to trade with, you target shallow positions for big improvement, not small improvement in where there's depth.

How good are these campo twins , keep hearing trade our 1st and it still might not be enough … I thought they were scrawny wingers late 1st and second rounder at best at this stage… why wouldn’t we wait until we know for certain where they might land.. they could turn into 2nd and third rounds by next year
Exactly. Just because they qualify for father son are they good
Chris Yarran might’ve benefited
Carlton or Richmond ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back