Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair call but what exactly did Geelong give up to get Cameron? To be precise it was largely the compensation they got from West Coast, who desperately overpaid for him, for Tim Kelly. Tim Kelly was a speculative over age second round draft pick by a club that had been perennially making finals. Geelong would’ve figured they were playing with house money.

It’s a very different prospect to trading out a blue chip first round draft pick like McKay (or Curnow for that matter) sold to fans as part of the price for a long and painful from the ground up rebuild for the club that hadn’t been a serious premiership contender for over a decade. If we trade one of those guys (or Walsh or TDK) to get Petracca I will spew up.
Geelong are smart. They’ll give above overs for a sure thing then take a punt at the draft.

We don't have the team to go all the way. The game plan is far too taxing to keep everybody fit and firing. I suspect it's getting to the players. It looks great when we are up and fresh, but over a season, it's just not sustainable. We do have gaps in the side and we are not taking advantage of our assets.
Exactly. Voss' gameplan needs Wolverine, and we keep recruiting Mr Glass.

I was us to shoehorn into Geelong draft conversations and want us to find a few of these mature-age gems they keep finding.

Their mature age players are no different on talent compared to players other teams pick up.

The way they implement them into their system is the difference. They clearly identify them for a role and recruit them for that specific reason. It’s seriously impressive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He would have been a far superior player if Malthouse had allowed his flair and skill set to show instead of constraining him

Hard to reward a player that was up to shenanigans

We would be falling off a cliff because Cripps, Petracca, Newman, Doc, Saad, Williams, McGovern, Acres, and others that I can't think of atm would be either retired or close to hanging up the boots in 2027. And because of the Petracca trade, we would likely be without Cerra and have no talented youngsters breaking into the team alongside Cody. As you said yourself, it would cost around 3 first rounders to get the deal done - that would be catastrophic for our long term prospects. As good as Petracca is, we have a team that is capable of winning premierships right now. Instead, we should focus on building depth, getting our coaching right, and fixing our injury issues before throwing our entire future at a trade that I simply do not think moves the needle significantly for us.

The only position I would consider a deal like this for is an AA level key position defender that can partner Weitering for the next 10 years.
And just in time for Tassie to come onto the scene and compromise the draft for a few years.

Not a matter of rewarding. Yarran was a briliantly gifted player with the burst speed that the current team wants, yet Malthouse had him taking kickouts and only ever kicking to deep pockets and playing HBF.
Ratts knew his good the 3 amigos were and they thrived with attack. Club should’ve git a senior assistant to support Ratts and tighten our defensive game, who knows what might have happened.

Not a matter of rewarding. Yarran was a briliantly gifted player with the burst speed that the current team wants, yet Malthouse had him taking kickouts and only ever kicking to deep pockets and playing HBF.

Wasn't he smoking ice?

I think posters on BigFooty are fencesitters when it comes to List Management, and it's understandable.

The average fan who isn't passionate to be posting and analysing games, is thrilled whenever any good player comes to their club. We are aware of the draft and salary cap, and therefore where our team will be situation in 1 year, 2 years, 5 years. We also have a massive emotional tie to our good players and don't want to lose them.

So all of these questions swirl around our heads. Using the Petracca/McKay example. What if Petracca's injury leads to lasting issues? What if he isn't the same player? What if he wants too much money? What if losing McKay hurts us more than Petracca helps us? What if the culture of the club suffers from bringing in a highly paid player and losing a loved player? These questions will have you second guessing to the point of inaction.

We don't have these answers.

I believe that players like Cripps, Walsh and Weitering are driven and hungry for success. I believe they'd all play for less if it meant increasing our premiership chances. We only have a couple of years of peak Cripps left. What sort of hole would his retirement cause? Our window is closing quickly and we have gone nowhere near a flag.

Some seem to be planning for the next phase after our current stars. Building another wave from underneath so that we don't become cellar dwelling easy beats. Does this keep us thereabouts or challenging?

We've actually gone a couple of years now .... just counting on improvement from within. I don't think we've got the balls to do what Geelong did when they went after Jeremy Cameron. That worked out pretty damn well for them.

On the Walsh discussions, I think it's just very likely that it's a guy who didn't have a pre-season hitting the wall in the back half of the season. It's almost predictable, we just overlook it because Walsh is super professional and fit, but there's more to a season fitness than cardiovascular fitness. He's clearly lost his strength and can no longer break a tackle or power out of congestion. His kicking has never been elite but it's lost all penetration.

He's not had a rest all year aside from byes, we probably could've managed his season better but we've needed our stars on the field given the tightness of the season.
Cripps down year when he clearly struggled with injury but as a leader put his hand up every week to lead the team, Walshy made of exactly from the same stuff, people were quick to trade off our captain at the time very much like they’re once again doubting another gun to come back and dominate the competition again…

Happy enough for us to pay overs (which we always do) but our punting in the draft has been abysmal.
Welcome to the world of Agresta'd Development.

Look at Sydney's recruiting go from strength to strength after he left.

Started off as our list manager and into the recruitment managers role and it paints a bleak picture as to his competence.

Not an impressive track record.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Back