Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And then when they're retired or coming to the end, we have giant holes in the age profile.

And to make matters worse Tasmania are getting the bulk of high draft picks.

I can guarantee you that normal football clubs who don't have a messiah complex are looking to hit the draft over the coming years. We don't need to get Petracca to win a flag. We can get value from cheap pick ups, like Hawthorn have done, and identify the right young talent. We have enough stars on the list.

Depends on whether you want to keep filling the age profile holes or get a flag now. It's a choice. To hang around finals but potentially never be the team, or go for it.

I understand how hard it is to build a team from scratch ... we all do. But do we let that experience stop us from ultimate success with this team that we have waited a decade for?

Off topic but in fairness to Bartlett he was the first whistleblower on the bad culture at the club. Roffey is the one more at fault by sweeping it under the carpet.
Bartletts main gripe appears to be that he was replaced and then not treated as a V.I.P. at the grand final. He doesn't seem to care who he throws under the bus or how much damage he inflicts on his club.

And then when they're retired or coming to the end, we have giant holes in the age profile.

And to make matters worse Tasmania are getting the bulk of high draft picks.

I can guarantee you that normal football clubs who don't have a messiah complex are looking to hit the draft over the coming years. We don't need to get Petracca to win a flag. We can get value from cheap pick ups, like Hawthorn have done, and identify the right young talent. We have enough stars on the list.

This “messiah complex” take is one of the worst takes getting around.

Bartletts main gripe appears to be that he was replaced and then not treated as a V.I.P. at the grand final. He doesn't seem to care who he throws under the bus or how much damage he inflicts on his club.

Sorry mate but that’s rubbish.

He wanted to rid the club of the drug culture, ensuring it was a safe space for kids coming in to not be exposed to that stuff from internal people, both staff and players. He knew what was happening well before we all did.

Boys club got rid of him. Then engaged the afl media to smear his reputation and change the narrative.

Bloke went scorched earth after that. Rightly so also.

It has been reported that Trac is on a high of $1.7mill and won't fall below $1.2mill per year over the next 5 years. This is on a Damien Barrett article currently on afl.com.au. Not sure how true it is but Damo is laying the boots into Trac so Melbourne may have fed him the figures.

Just tor contexts sake.
The Dees should tread vey carefully - Goodwin too.

Plenty of skeletons in closets there... Glen Bartlett says hi.

This “messiah complex” take is one of the worst takes getting around.
Why? It's the classic "old Carlton" mentality pre the professional era. There's a reason we were rubbish through the 2000s because unlike other clubs we did not adapt. There's always been a view that we are the best, we buy the best and then we win flags. You can see it in the supporter base here - despite the clear gaps on our list, people genuinely think throwing the kitchen sink at a footballer who is 29, has just had a horrific injury and had spoken about the trauma he's enduring is going to translate into a premiership in the coming years. This is at the expense of continuing the regenerate and add to the list.

You might think it's a bad take but I firmly believe what has held Carlton back for decades is hubris and ego.

We wont be able to afford Houston and Petracca in the cap.

Id rather forgo on Houston, go for Aleer instead and go all in on Petracca, saving later picks for points for at least one of the Campo boys.

Aleer wont be that expensive. He hasn't shown much at AFL level (despite being a former number 2 pick).

I say we shop Pittonet around and retain Cerra. Back in TDK (with McKay, McGovern and JSOS as backup plus Aliir and a project Rookie ruck).
pick 15!

Where is Barass to tell us wtf is happening????

Tim Burton Film GIF by Tech Noir

He's requested a trade to Hawthorn ;)

I still dont understand why we are trying to trade him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
We have invested relatively high value picks in Motlop, Durdin and Moir, and Williams appears to be a forward or bust. We have relative depth.

Owies is likely, and quite rightly, trying to maximise his one chance at a decent AFL contract.

Our cap situation is delicate, meaning we need to keep what limited options we have open.

The wait and see approach is the right thing for both player and club...it just doesn't make for great forum fodder.

Zac Williams and our first rounder to St Kilda
Max King and a first rounder to Melbourne
Petracca to Carlton

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong gave up picks not stars and these guys were younger. They walked into a winning culture. We need caddy, level players like leek aleer in positions of weakness like defence
I hope we at least had made a play for Barrass. How did that happen.

Why? It's the classic "old Carlton" mentality pre the professional era. There's a reason we were rubbish through the 2000s because unlike other clubs we did not adapt. There's always been a view that we are the best, we buy the best and then we win flags. You can see it in the supporter base here - despite the clear gaps on our list, people genuinely think throwing the kitchen sink at a footballer who is 29, has just had a horrific injury and had spoken about the trauma he's enduring is going to translate into a premiership in the coming years. This is at the expense of continuing the regenerate and add to the list.

You might think it's a bad take but I firmly believe what has held Carlton back for decades is hubris and ego.

.. because it’s nothing like the Carlton of old to which you refer.

Frankly, it’s a lazy and convenient take on the situation for those who are letting emotion towards Carlton players rule common sense.

And if it’s not that, then it’s an attitude of people who are so scarred by the past that they’re too afraid to embrace the present (which is still emotion ruling common sense, but for different reasons to what I meant above). Almost feels like some fans find comfort and security by being in this perpetual cycle of looking to the future - unable to take the final step in the present for risk of failure.

Last edited:
I'm back after my first-ever suspension, handed down for what was deemed a serious infraction. I thought it was just friendly (and well deserved) banter aimed at some regular Wobbles fanboys, but others disagreed. Was it childish and provocative? Absolutely. Would I do it again? 100%.

Anyway, I'm firmly against trading Harry, unless it's an offer too good to refuse. Even then, I worry about the potential ramifications on team culture, as others have pointed out.

Regarding Petracca, I'd love to have him at the Blues and would take him in a heartbeat (as long as it doesn't cost us Harry or Charlie). However, I did see an interesting comment about Matthew Lloyd, who suffered a similar injury (ruptured spleen) in 1996 as a second-year player. Lloyd reportedly said it took him over 18 months to rebuild his strength, and that was at 18 years old. This makes me question how Petracca, nearly 29 with seemingly worse injuries, will recover. From all accounts, his elite preparation and professionalism will aid his rehab, but time is a factor that can't be overcome. There is also the mental demons to consider.

I'm confident Petracca will bounce back, but there are valid reasons to have some question marks. The unknowns do make it a gamble, raising the question: at what cost do you pay? A bit of buyer beware.

I think he was trying to build a culture and remove the bad seeds and was usurped by people with other ideas and treated poorly on the way out only 2 weeks after being voted in for another couple of years

I have no hesitation in saying Trac wouldn’t be thinking in a million years of leaving if Bartlett had completed the cultural clean out

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm back after my first-ever suspension, handed down for what was deemed a serious infraction. I thought it was just friendly (and well deserved) banter aimed at some regular Wobbles fanboys, but others disagreed. Was it childish and provocative? Absolutely. Would I do it again? 100%.

Anyway, I'm firmly against trading Harry, unless it's an offer too good to refuse. Even then, I worry about the potential ramifications on team culture, as others have pointed out.

Regarding Petracca, I'd love to have him at the Blues and would take him in a heartbeat (as long as it doesn't cost us Harry or Charlie). However, I did see an interesting comment about Matthew Lloyd, who suffered a similar injury (ruptured spleen) in 1996 as a second-year player. Lloyd reportedly said it took him over 18 months to rebuild his strength, and that was at 18 years old. This makes me question how Petracca, nearly 29 with seemingly worse injuries, will recover. From all accounts, his elite preparation and professionalism will aid his rehab, but time is a factor that can't be overcome. There is also the mental demons to consider.

I'm confident Petracca will bounce back, but there are valid reasons to have some question marks. The unknowns do make it a gamble, raising the question: at what cost do you pay? A bit of buyer beware.

Can we just assume that everyone in the pro-Trac camp is on that side of the ledger on the proviso that he will return fully fit and healthy and that it won’t cause disharmony in the playing group. That part of it is a given and I can’t be arsed mentioning it in every other post.

The debate is purely whether people would be willing to get the trade done for a fit and firing Trac being brought into a team ready to embrace him regardless of what we give up. No attention needs to be given to whether losing, for example, Harry would damage culture, but rather whether losing H and gaining Trac would take us closer to a flag (which in my view is a very obvious ‘Yes’).

Ashton Moir has shown in his brief cameo why.

Owies has been good, but isn't taking us to the next level.
True. But why not trade Durds instead? Owies is handy durable and tough.

Can we just assume that everyone in the pro-Trac camp is on that side of the ledger on the proviso that he will return fully fit and healthy and that it won’t cause disharmony in the playing group. That part of it is a given and I can’t be arsed mentioning it in every other post.

The debate is purely whether people would be willing to get the trade done for a fit and firing Trac being brought into a team ready to embrace him regardless of what we give up. No attention needs to be given to whether losing, for example, Harry would damage culture, but rather whether losing H and gaining Trac would take us closer to a flag (which in my view is a very obvious ‘Yes’).

So you want any debate to ignore all the realities and just focus on the fantasy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back