Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmmmm

How are his hammies?
Played a fair bit of vfl this year and some games in the 1s in the back end of the year as a sub if I remember correctly.

Fingers crossed he is over those hammys he had in his first few years. Guys a super talent imo and if he gets his body right this offseason I expect he will explode in 2025. I think he is worth the punt

Easy
His contract expires October 31 I believe. Weigh up the option of offering him 1 year (which he wouldn't like) on minimum coin and then tell him he can explore a trade if he wishes, just like Owies
Even a late 3rd rounder (believe me, the 60th best player currently wanting to play AFL may be a gemstone) would have been good either to trade or draft
We should not have ceded to his request to delist...we have given him a truckload of money for lying down on a physios bed

It's really pretty simple, whilst it might annoy some people on this board as it doesn't fit in with their cut throat narrative, but we did somewhat as a gesture of goodwill.

Yes he came across on a "big contract", although I would dispute that as his average annual salary was just a tick under $600k per season when he signed.
Heavily front loaded so we could get him in the preseason draft, was meant to earn 1mil in that first season, but lost out on a little over 300k due to covid. So he was on around $540k, about 100k above the average wage of an AFL player.

He had zero luck whilst at our club fitness wise, and despite what some people say, it wasn't from lack of professionalism.

We could have offered him a base contract that he would reject, then have gone to war for a 4th round draft pick, squabbled and made life difficult, maybe been offered a same round pick upgrade in the 4th or a future 4th pick which would no longer of had DIV points attached.

Then if all that failed, he could just wait until the end of final list lodgments, no longer be bound to the club, and end up at another team as an SSP. The club would also have to pay him an amount of money during the period that he is uncontracted but not delisted.

Given we were not going to offer him a contract that would have seen him stay, and given that his draft value is as close to zero as one can imagine, also taking into account that grace in which he took a pretty decent pay cut from his original contract (that was prior to the lack of games he actually played). It seems like a fair thing to do.

On top of all that, he is managed by TGI, and you don't want to piss them off.

It's really pretty simple, whilst it might annoy some people on this board as it doesn't fit in with their cut throat narrative, but we did somewhat as a gesture of goodwill.

Yes he came across on a "big contract", although I would dispute that as his average annual salary was just a tick under $600k per season when he signed.
Heavily front loaded so we could get him in the preseason draft, was meant to earn 1mil in that first season, but lost out on a little over 300k due to covid. So he was on around $540k, about 100k above the average wage of an AFL player.

He had zero luck whilst at our club fitness wise, and despite what some people say, it wasn't from lack of professionalism.

We could have offered him a base contract that he would reject, then have gone to war for a 4th round draft pick, squabbled and made life difficult, maybe been offered a same round pick upgrade in the 4th or a future 4th pick which would no longer of had DIV points attached.

Then if all that failed, he could just wait until the end of final list lodgments, no longer be bound to the club, and end up at another team as an SSP. The club would also have to pay him an amount of money during the period that he is uncontracted but not delisted.

Given we were not going to offer him a contract that would have seen him stay, and given that his draft value is as close to zero as one can imagine, also taking into account that grace in which he took a pretty decent pay cut from his original contract (that was prior to the lack of games he actually played). It seems like a fair thing to do.

On top of all that, he is managed by TGI, and you don't want to piss them off.

Well explained 43.

From a different perspective it seems a lot of our players over a number of years (and over different administrations) have ended up playing elsewhere for next to no return.

Stocker is another player where the club would have its internal reasons for offloading him for nothing. Even though Stocker isn't that great a player what is the value of a player vs a draft number that fits in a best 22 most weeks like Stocker has for the Saints.

Anyone intrnal to Carlton will say there were reasons but it seems there have been so many reasons over the years. Waite, Eddie, Garlett, Fisher, Stocker, Robinson, Tuohy, Grigg, Sam Jacobs, Liam Jones (I know but how many wrong side of a player exiting does Carlton want).

Henderson, Yarran and Gibbs seem like positives.

Over a journey Carlton haven't been great at even understanding talent they have on their own books let alone trading them for value (Betts, Jacobs).

At the very least, an area for improvement.

Cherry picking, we used the pick we got off Geelong for Lachie Henderson on Charlie Curnow, dual (so far) Coleman Medallist.

Henderson came in for the Fev trade, Henderson went out for the pick that was ultimately Charlie, at least four years apart

The pick from the Lachie Henderson trade did eventually net us a Coleman medallist but the wrong one was named. Lachie was traded to Geelong for a future first round pick, that pick was traded to GWS (as well as 28, 77 and 95) for five players plus Pick 8 in that national draft. Two academy players were matched bids with Pick 3 and Pick 7 of that draft, so our Pick 8 was pushed out to Pick 10 (Harry). Charlie was Pick 12.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back