Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, cause that's exactly what I said :D

Go back and read what I wrote...and this time, read it properly please
All good, my stance is much the same, relying on internal improvement and not being aggressive by adding players will see us stagnate, we seem to be much more conservative in strengthening the list than other clubs currently.

All other clubs have players returning from injury or previous years draftees they hope will improve the following year, we aren’t special here.

Cmon Charlie and Walsh played most of the year, every team has injuries.
Walsh had no preseason for the second year in a row, and copped a knock to his hip that clearly hampered him in the last 6 weeks or so. Charlie was constantly having to manage an ankle niggle from round 2 onwards. Cerra hurt most of the year too, TDK hurt from the second North game onwards. All those guys are top 8 players in our team when fully fit

Hitting the draft with 12 and 13 is fine, if we find another 1-2 players like Acres or Holands who are AFL standard, the hitting the draft angle sounds great but not many draftees influence a side in year 1. In years 2-4 yes and that’s if we pick right.

Other clubs have been able to draft hard and bring in role players, a Ginnivan type deal for us this period would be amazing.
I personally don’t think we need draftees to influence in their 1st year (next year). I think we have the team to challenge in 2025 already.

I do however expect we will grab 1 or 2 cheap options also.

I’ve mentioned Stone numerous times but people come in saying he’s too injury prone with his hamstrings. Watch someone nab him on the cheap and he will excel over the next few years

I think its fair to say we've overpaid for most of our big name signings - but that's because you have to pay overs to get the other side to sign the deal. The only way to get a bargain at the trade table is to be in a 2 team town (or Geelong), and have the player nominate that they'll only consider playing for 1 club - OR go for lesser known quantities who haven't proven themselves yet - OR get a free agent (which costs cap space we don't really have)

I think if we get Houston, and a first round draft pick, followed by 3 late pickups, our cap will still be okay next year, and we will be able to look at 2025 free agents.

So George and Nicky N both finish in the top 5 of our B&F..... for the combined princely sum of a 4th round pick.

Swans know how to instil professionalism to their players from day 1 of arriving......so why wouldn't we be interested in Jacob Konstanty? He hasn't been able to break into their best 22, but we know exactly the type of player we're getting....

I agree that Austin has been underwhelming. I think we overpaid on Saad, and Cerra wasn't required, especially with Hewett brought in.

The decisions this year might be the correct ones, but possibly they are being made to correct the errors of previous years.

Time will tell.
Overpaid on Saad? 10 for an All-Australian level defender in a COVID-impacted draft seems a good price to me.

Which of these players (drafted 10-18) would you swap for Saad?

Zach Reid
Luke Pedlar
Tanner Bruhn
Tom Powell
Heath Chapman
Connor Stone
Lachie Jones
Ollie Henry
Ryan Angwin

Yeah, the winner of the Norm Smith medal.
However already on their list. So effectively no change just getting the right players fit. So all pieces of the puzzle to begin with. And elite across all lines. There are some serious pieces wanting from our list before we are serious contenders. The obvious ones having been discussed adnaseum.

Overpaid on Saad? 10 for an All-Australian level defender in a COVID-impacted draft seems a good price to me.

Zach Reid
Luke Pedlar
Tanner Bruhn
Tom Powell
Heath Chapman
Connor Stone
Lachie Jones
Ollie Henry
Ryan Angwin

Come on, don't be that hindsight guy with specific parameters to make a case.

1. It was Pick 8 at the time we traded.

2. We didn't know, and still don't, how many of those players will turn out. They are 22 yeah?

3. Max Holmes was taken at #20, Shannon Neale at #33, Beau McCreery at #44. Errol Gulden, while an academy selection, wasn't bid on until #32. That's why we don't use hindsight drafting to evaluate the worth of a trade.

4. Saad's AA season of 2022, was by far his best season in his career. I'm not sure if he was even in an AA squad until he joined us. Again, it's a hindsight call and not at all reflective of the trade at the time.

5. Saad was nominated for the rising star at Gold Coast, and Gold Coast only got a 2nd rounder from Essendon for him. After 3 seasons, Essendon converted that into Pick 8. We paid a premium based on our need for backline pace, no doubt about it.

Which one is the good one? Or better one?
Stats listed on heraldsun website yesterday.
Both similar in a lot of areas, eg tackles.
Ben averages about 6 possessions per game more after a change to inside mid this year.

Article lists Ben as having played inside, and Lucas playing wing/half back.
Both have good tackle numbers. Almost 5 per game, from memory.

Zach Reid
Luke Pedlar
Tanner Bruhn
Tom Powell
Heath Chapman
Connor Stone
Lachie Jones
Ollie Henry
Ryan Angwin

In theory we didn't overpay, but I didn't like the trade at the time given we hadn't established ourselves as a finals side at the time

Zach Reid
Luke Pedlar
Tanner Bruhn
Tom Powell
Heath Chapman
Connor Stone
Lachie Jones
Ollie Henry
Ryan Angwin

None.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Every team above us could present a similar run down of who’s returning from injury and who can improve to help them climb the ladder.

Collingwood were aggressive prior to winning the flag and continue to to be aggressive to push for another.

Hawks were aggressive last year and are aggressive again.

Freo are targeting senior players this year

Geelong are being aggressive again

Port have a commitment from Lukoscious

But all we are hanging our hat on is internal improvement and Jack and Doc coming back,

I don't think that all of the other contenders are necessarily doing much to improve their lists this offseason.

Hawthorn yes ... Battle and Barass is big.

Brisbane no ... just the academy players in the draft. They have one hyuk size hole to fill in the mean time.

GWS no ... losing a few players.

Geelong, yes but ... Smith for a song because of his off field stuff and his year off injured. Unfortunately, we can not compete with their attractiveness. The but is another year older for Dangerfield, Duncan, Blicavs, Cameron etc. If they get Oliver, then that's a resounding yes however.

Dogs no ... losing some experienced depth.

Collingwood yes ... Perryman as a FA.

Port no ... potentially losing Houston and Lord, but gaining Lukosius. That's a net negative.

Sydney no ... going to be a quiet time in the harbour city.

Fremantle yes ... getting Shai Bolton.

I feel like only Hawthorn and potentially Geelong have made giant strides here. I agree that if Carlton don't land Houston, then we are a 'no' as well. It will all come down to this trade, unless we have something else in the works. 2 first rounders for Houston though, I think we lose that trade.

In theory we didn't overpay, but I didn't like the trade at the time given we hadn't established ourselves as a finals side at the time

This. I feel like it was too early to go for an icing player, and I think Essendon extracted maximum compensation for him, given what they paid for him 3 years earlier. He was quick and exciting at the Gold Coast and they made out like bandits, while turning the screws on us. We pay more when we chase contracted players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone know what is so special about the treatment in Qatar compared to anywhere else?
They've basically got a truckload of money and have collated the best evidenced based research to find what works best on common sporting injuries. The best European football clubs seem to be sending there recurring injuries there. There is a 30 min video on their 6 stage hamstring protocol if you're interested.

Come on, don't be that hindsight guy with specific parameters to make a case.

1. It was Pick 8 at the time we traded.

2. We didn't know, and still don't, how many of those players will turn out. They are 22 yeah?

3. Max Holmes was taken at #20, Shannon Neale at #33, Beau McCreery at #44. Errol Gulden, while an academy selection, wasn't bid on until #32. That's why we don't use hindsight drafting to evaluate the worth of a trade.

4. Saad's AA season of 2022, was by far his best season in his career. I'm not sure if he was even in an AA squad until he joined us. Again, it's a hindsight call and not at all reflective of the trade at the time.

5. Saad was nominated for the rising star at Gold Coast, and Gold Coast only got a 2nd rounder from Essendon for him. After 3 seasons, Essendon converted that into Pick 8. We paid a premium based on our need for backline pace, no doubt about it.
1. Austin was aware that JUH and Campbell bids would move 8 to 10.

2. Yes some might have good careers. But you can’t ignore the 120+ elite level games that Saad will have given us.

3. I don’t understand this point. Out of the 50+ players drafted from #10 onwards, just Holmes and Gulden would be preferred to Saad. That is a 4% hit. You say ‘we don’t use hindsight’ - I say, Austin believed the 2020 draft was too risky and a known product in Saad was the better option. He was right.

4 & 5. Again, I’m not understanding. Are you saying that what happens after the trade is irrelevant? Lachie Neale was traded for 6 & 19 before he made an all-australian side. He is now a dual Brownlow medalist and premiership captain. Did Brisbane overpay?

They added Dunkley, Gunstan and McKenna to get them from a prelim to a GF, they then and went and got free agent Doedee because they saw the need for a better KPD.

Yes we had injuries, but your comments that there isn’t anyone available to me seems like, giving the club an out, there’s always players available and there will be in the next week or so.

Barass would have been great for us.
I think that Austin has a few tricks up his sleeve for this trade period, and by that I mean that there are trades on the go that no one's even thought of yet.

He hasn't ruled out Houston but has made it clear that he wants at least 1 first round pick this year.

Who makes way for the salary cap?
I think we'll be ok for the moment but if TDK plays 20+ games next year we might not be.
Yet, the club can still afford to be in discussions for Houston, so that's a positive.

Does the contracted Pitto make way?
The club would have to gamble on OKeefe being able to have some impact if called upon, more time in the middle for Harry, and probably look at a dfa ruck as back up.

It's only a hypothetical.
My point being that I very much doubt that the only players we bring in will be from the 4 draft picks, and players that we think are "safe" atm could be in new colours next year.

Anything and everything should be considered possible to maximise this off-season.

Maybe this year's future 3rd trick will be for a KPD?

Saad was the covid draft. That’s the least valuable picks had ever been.

Yeah, but he's 30 now and probably going to lose some of the attributes that we got him for. He really struggled this season. It wasn't really our most pressing need at the time IMO.

Yeah, but he's 30 now and probably going to lose some of the attributes that we got him for. He really struggled this season. It wasn't really our most pressing need at the time IMO.
we couldn’t move the ball out of the backline.
We already had our spine set and the very next season had the midfield we have now. Since then we have done nothing but bring in periphery players. Saad is exactly what we were looking for at the time.
Now we look to need pace around the midfield and forward talent but seeming we haven’t done much to address that over the last 3 years we probably wouldn’t have then either.

1. Austin was aware that JUH and Campbell bids would move 8 to 10.

2. Yes some might have good careers. But you can’t ignore the 120+ elite level games that Saad will have given us.

3. I don’t understand this point. Out of the 50+ players drafted from #10 onwards, just Holmes and Gulden would be preferred to Saad. That is a 4% hit. You say ‘we don’t use hindsight’ - I say, Austin believed the 2020 draft was too risky and a known product in Saad was the better option. He was right.

4 & 5. Again, I’m not understanding. Are you saying that what happens after the trade is irrelevant? Lachie Neale was traded for 6 & 19 before he made an all-australian side. He is now a dual Brownlow medalist and premiership captain. Did Brisbane overpay?

I'm saying that we traded for Saad thinking we'd probably get what he had given so far, not that he would become AA quality after the trade.

There is a lot of conjecture in some of these points. 120 elite level games you say. He's played 86 so far, but I'd venture that maybe 60 or so have been elite. This doesn't define the trade in any way, but I'd rather some give and take in a discussion, rather than hyperbole.

As of Lachie Neale, he was a 25 year old midfielder, who had just made the AA squad and just won his 2nd B&F at Freo. Freo also got #30 back in that trade. No, they didn't overpay. If they could ask for his worth to come, the price would have been a hell of a lot higher.

What do you think Houston is worth as a dual AA halfback?

we couldn’t move the ball out of the backline.
We already had our spine set and the very next season had the midfield we have now. Since then we have done nothing but bring in periphery players. Saad is exactly what we were looking for at the time.
Now we look to need pace around the midfield and forward talent but seeming we haven’t done much to address that over the last 3 years we probably wouldn’t have then either.

And we are back to not being able to move the ball out of our backline again as well.

And on Saads age, we should have been competing for premierships over the last two years regardless of what that pick was used on.

We haven't been (despite the prelim run last year), because we haven't been able to address those other issues. We have one genuinely quick small forward, who hasn't come on yet. We have no express midfielders. The midfield pace is behind a heap of our issues, especially since 6-6-6 came in. I can't help but feel this was the area that needed to be addressed first.

I agree that Austin has been underwhelming. I think we overpaid on Saad, and Cerra wasn't required, especially with Hewett brought in.
Cerra is a very different midfielder to Hewett. Cerra I still think was a necessary pick up - critical for us that we get him fit for 25'. Big reason why our midfield worked so well in 23'

This is boring !!

Throw me a bone people - I'll even take a trade for a Sam Kerridge or Aaron Mullett at this rate.
Screenshot_20241006_162701_Google.jpg

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back