Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

We were really good at scoring, its something we improved a lot from our 2023 season, the big problem is we went from the 5th best defence (maybe 4th) in 2023 to the 12th in 2024.

WE were the 18th ranked team from conceding goals from D50 stoppages, 10 goals worse than 17th, we were down the bottom all year.

It’s hard to rationalise how we were so bad for so long and we failed to address it mid season.

The footy shows on a few occasions showed Saad to be one of our worse culprits in this area which was a big surprise.

The positive out of this is, if we could defend as a group in 2023 and failed in 24 with the same group, we can get back to that in 25, its purely a coaching issue imo.

Attacking and defending don't exist in isolation.

The reality here is that we likely got worse at defending because we got better at attacking.

If we overtune it next year, we could go back to being better at defending but worse on attack again.

The tricky part is finding the balance between the two - how to score consistently without leaving yourself too exposed on the counter, and how to shut down opposition scores while leaving yourself avenues to rebound and score yourself.

It's partly a coaching thing, but it's just as much on the players. The coach can't play the game for them from the box, they need to be able to read the game and make the right decisions.

I think if it was someone like Bolton then both our first rounders would be on the table in a flash. I think our problem is that putting all our resources into someone like Houston may not solve our biggest problems and we will be completely out of salary cap room if we get him. We would then not be able to address them next year either.

As mentioned above. I think the worry with Houston is that you have to overpay for pick 13 then overpay for Houston.
Yep - and the amount of talent we have in the backline is already enough. We have a problem with ball movement but that's a gameplan issue rather than talent.

We've had Weiters/McGovern/Newman/Saad there who are all highly rated. Boyd is rated as a good kick as well. We shouldn't need to have 6 A-graders in the backline for it to function well.

How would that happen?
Can you show your workings?
Through pure imagination an optimism!

Something like using our 1st and 2nd rounders at the draft before Campo bids come in (pick #34 will be a quality pick if we pick a quality kid!)

And then F1+F2 to get a 2024 1st rounder for Houston, and somehow generating some steak knives out of Kennnedy/Owies.

Edit: Issue with this is we need to get a F2 back somehow to comply with future pick trading rulez

We can't score when we aren't winning clearance but we were the number 1 team for scores from turnover and number 1 team for defending scores from turnover up until round 19...

Maybe you need to dial down the pessimism

Exactly, you would think clearance differential from a stoppage is not that hard to fix especially when it’s been our one wood for a very long time.

We need to continue the turnover game from this season and improve on stoppage clearance and then defence on a losing stoppage clearance.

We are not far off at all, availability is the most important recruit this offseason

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Pies fans in their feelings and having a meltdown on the phone after Sam Edmund broke the Houston news 😂😂😂😂

Dumb breed they are

Pies fans have this mis-guided view that a strong Collingwood is good for the competition and so get personally offended that the AFL and other clubs aren't moving heaven and earth to give them everything they want.

Does anyone else think it's really strange that all of the ITK's turned up on here at the same time last week and then they all just disappeared again?

The club wanted to get a message out, it’s so obvious it’s not funny

It was good listening with Sam Edmund earlier, Pies fans getting upset LOL Sam said this is what I know, Dan Houston wants to play for Carlton that is 100%

Then they swooped on him

Through pure imagination an optimism!

Something like using our 1st and 2nd rounders at the draft before Campo bids come in (pick #34 will be a quality pick if we pick a quality kid!)

And then F1+F2 to get a 2024 1st rounder for Houston, and somehow generating some steak knives out of Kennnedy/Owies.

Edit: Issue with this is we need to get a F2 back somehow to comply with future pick trading rulez

Would need to be very good steak knives out of Kennedy and Owies.
Like 2nd round picks for each, at least one a F2.

The whole suns preference thing to me is dumb management from them. They would be idiotic not to accept a better offer from another club just cause it’s easier for them

Explains why they are where they are after 15 years
Unfortunately its the result of mass club handouts and a never ending tap of academy kids. They have no care re value for their picks and haven't for a long time.

Our deal is better than Collingwoods offer for 13 but knowing them they'll trade it to the Pies anyway because it's easier than dealing with two different clubs.

GC is giving Collingwood first crack at pick 13 because they are trying to keep the positive relationship to get Noble.

I cannot imagine that they would do the proposed trade (F1 + Noble for 13, 23, 29) because it screws with matching their Lombard bid.

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Long term big footy lurker, first time commenter.
Hearing Carlton are trying to pursue Mark Blicavs as a versatile veteran who can play all over the ground including ruck with premiership experience.

ferrisb's musing of the day, espisode II

For years Carlton broadcast to the world what players we were targeting. We then got bullied into overpaying for recruits as we were too committed to back away. Blues fans (rightfully) bemoaned.

Now we are being coy with our interest in Houston (at least in public) and are apparently sticking to our guns on what we will pay. And much bemoaning did thus ensue.

Poor Austin. Bemoaned if you do. Bemoaned if you don't.

Played as a mid until u16, then spent his last couple of junior/SANFL years as a small forward.

Was (is) never going to make it as an AFL mid.

At most maybe a high HF, a few cameos at clearances. But not as a full-time mid.

That’s if you have a tunnel vision view, he’s not going to make it as a small forward you have to find another position that adds something to the team.

Does not matter if he plays midfield for the whole of the first half of next season in the twos, you need to back him, challenge him and give him a chance to make it somewhere else.

If he ends up being a half forward, making cameos in the middle then at least he’ll be as fit as **** doing so

I'm so useless with trades. drafts, draft points etc but don't we need to trade out our first pick so its not swallowed up by Campo boys bids/picks?? Aren't they rated to go pretty high?

Hearing Carlton are trying to pursue Mark Blicavs as a versatile veteran who can play all over the ground including ruck with premiership experience.

Over the hill? Or about to be?

And not in a steeplechase way...

I'm so useless with trades. drafts, draft points etc but don't we need to trade out our first pick so its not swallowed up by Campo boys bids/picks?? Aren't they rated to go pretty high?

Ben unlikely to be nominated before our first.

Lucas unlikely to be picked in the first two rounds.

They won't draw a bid before our 1st round pick

Getting the feeling that we have borked the owies situation.

I suspect we thought he had trade value and it would appear that he doesn't.

Would be a really odd look to cut him for free now given his age profile and decent output.

I wouldn't be surprised if we move on to trade someone else now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back