Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like you'd need more points than just that, though? Lucas has dropped on draft boards, but Ben is still looking like going at ~30ish. That's over 500 points you'll need just for Ben.

Next year's 3rd will be worth basically nothing point-wise, especially if Carlton are playing finals again. It wouldn't be enough.
Nobody is predicting Ben Campo that high. Think you will find Ben going in the ~40-50 range.

Lucas a late pick / rookie.

I wonder how their salary cap is looking.

Surely Houston would be one of their highest paid.... that always factors in too.

Maybe it will end up like Papley, I just reckon it'll get done!

14 + Owies?

14 + Kennedy?

Owies would help their forward line and Keenedy would be their Boak replacement.

Is through in Young as steak knives if needed.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

From there:

DRAFT ANALYSIS: "Paddy Dow is one of the best players in the 2017 draft crop with his trademark burst speed and vision out of a stoppage among his top traits"
Leagues: AFL U18 Championships, Coates Talent League Boys
OVERVIEW
Paddy Dow is one of if not the most all-round complete packages in the 2017 draft crop. Along with Andrew Brayshaw, Dow arguably has the most boxes ticked and it is no surprises why he is in contention for the number one pick. Dow is powerful, a classy mover, has great vision, loves the contested side of football and has a scoreboard impact, mostly setting up others when going inside 50. To find a weakness for Dow is very difficult, however if you had to pick an improvement, it would be his kicking under pressure. His kicking when given time and space is fantastic, and averaging 58 per cent as an inside midfielder is not too bad at all. As a whole, Dow is a really good prospect who will flourish in the elite system.
STRENGTHS
  • Powerful
  • Classy
  • Contested work
  • Vision
  • Scoreboard impact
Dow has plenty of strings to his bow with the inside midfielder winning 51 per cent of his possessions at the coal face. Despite winning most of his possessions on the inside, Dow has a touch of class about the way he wins it and moves through a stoppage. He has fantastic vision and just thinks through each contest and some of his highlights are up there with the best players in the draft crop. In one instant in his last TAC Cup game for the season, Dow was playing Gippsland Power and he cleanly won the ball at half-back, fired off a handball to a teammate, received the 1-2 back, split through three opposing players using his burst speed and then hit up a target at half-forward.
The way he takes the game on and backs himself to hit targets is a feature of the way he plays and despite being that inside bull, he has that outside presence which hurts opposing teams. While he does not kick a heap of goals himself, he averaged two score assists per game in the TAC Cup and with six inside 50s, Dow makes any team he is in look better with his delivery inside 50. It helps that he has fantastic vision and just sums up the situation well.
TBF Dow had those attributes with us.. But did none of the important stuff like run both ways, chase and defend…

It is going to be fun when we take our picks.

Austin has continually been true to his word.

Wants a player to give run and connection
and
WANTS A TALL TO PLAY BEHIND THE BALL to complement Weitering.

Don’t be blinded by the media ratings or musings. We are taking a KPD with our second pick as we have very little scope to add a further pick.
Unless Sydney see someone they like at 12 or 14 on draft night? Although then we would have to go into the draft finding an extra list spot, and to what end if the trade doesn't eventuate, so seems unlikely

I think Harry will play relief ruck from now on. I haven't been a fan of that up until now, but now that he is fully mature and match hardened and settled into his own game, i think he is well rounded now to add ruck relief to his game.

Like Joe Daniher, it wasn't until he was fully matured mentally and physically that he was ready to add ruck without harming his main role as KPF.

I think Jack will be depth from now on....which prolly means he plays most games if he is one of the lucky uninjured ones lol.
I must admit TW I’m also of the same view with Harry. Initially thought H should just stay at FF but now believe it’s better for the team and him if he plays relief ruck as well.

I think spells in the ruck helps him get into the game. Also he’s agile, can tackle and provides a great target for our defenders to kick to.

Pick 3 does seem appealing considering who the top 4 are projected to be on ESPN (excluding Ashcroft and Lombard):

1. Jagga Smith

Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro

MID, 181cm

National Champs: 4 games, 29.3 disposals, 6.8 clearances, 4.8 marks

Talent League: 12 games, 33.8 disposals, 7.9 clearances, 0.6 goals

Jagga did his pick 1 chances no harm with a solid combine weekend, posting a 3.038 second 20m sprint and 6:27 minute 2km time trial. He's the 'can't miss' prospect of the draft, a creative on-baller with the ability to rack up huge numbers through work rate and clean skills. He already looked at home against the bigger bodies, averaging 27 disposals and six clearances for Richmond VFL. Smith's professionalism and leadership stand out, making him a good cultural fit for rebuilding sides.

Best traits similar to: Zak Butters

2. Sid Draper (2)

South Adelaide/South Australia

MID, 182cm

2024 Champs: 4 games, 21.0 disposals, 3.8 clearances, 2.8 marks

SANFL: 6 games, 22.2 disposals, 4.7 clearances, 6.2 tackles

Draper didn't test at the combine with a minor back complaint, but met with a host of clubs on the weekend. His stoppage craft and ability to hurt the opposition in space makes Draper a safe prospect with a huge ceiling. Recruiters rave about his professionalism and he's as likely as any prospect to captain an AFL club. Draper's draft range is locked into the top 10 after impressive performances at SANFL level, proving the Panthers' best midfielder against tough opposition.

Best traits similar to: Chad Warner

4. Finn O'Sullivan (4)

Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Country

MID, 182cm

National Champs: 2 games, 11.5 disposals, 1.5 marks, 3.5 tackles

Talent League: 4 games, 17.2 disposals, 3.0 clearances, 1.2 goals

No midfielder at the top of the crop quite has the athletic profile of O'Sullivan, which was confirmed at the combine with elite results in agility and both vertical jumping tests. He's a brilliant aerialist for his size and glides across the ground with a bounding gait. Through injury and form slumps he's struggled to attain any consistency, but O'Sullivan remains a pick 1 chance and offers one of the highest upsides in the pool.

Best traits similar to: Heeney

6. Sam Lalor (6)

GWV Rebels/Vic Country

MID/FWD, 187cm

National Champs: 3 games, 11.0 disposals, 5.0 marks, 1.3 goals

Talent League: 4 games, 23.0 disposals, 6.2 clearances, 5.8 marks

Lalor is firmly in the mix for Richmond's pick 1. The powerful midfielder models his game on Dustin Martin and Jordan De Goey, and boasts similar burst and strength with his strong hips and fend off. A serious hamstring injury curtailed the end to his season and he didn't test at the combine. Lalor's brilliant contested marking and damaging disposal has kept him firmly in the first pick frame.

Best traits similar to: Christian Petracca

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Player card stats on a phone are soooo annoying!!!!

On CPH2135 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm in favour of taking the two picks to the draft, or depending on list space trading back to Sydney for 19 + 22. 3 picks in the top 25 would be incredible + Campo twins but it will depend if we have the list space.

To be honest, the calibre of available free agents and tradeable targets this year has been underwhelming. With the rise in the salary cap, strong draft and Tassie coming in, clubs and players seem to be hunkering down. I'd much rather bank the cap space and get aggressive with topping up over the next 2 - 3 years. There's no point adding mature players with big salaries to the list just because they are there. We need to be targeted and calculated, and play what's in front of us. At the moment it's a deep draft and the resigning of Weitering and TDK.

Really like what Austin has done thus far.

I feel like you'd need more points than just that, though? Lucas has dropped on draft boards, but Ben is still looking like going at ~30ish. That's over 500 points you'll need just for Ben.

Next year's 3rd will be worth basically nothing point-wise, especially if Carlton are playing finals again. It wouldn't be enough.
Those 3 picks will come in at least 10 spots due to other clubs matching bids and we also get a 189 point discount as a bid will come after the first round. We should be able to match bid for Ben from pick 33 onward and the consensus is Lucas won’t need points for matching bids. The twins are covered we just need early bids on the other father son and academy prospects

Wait until the people saying we should get Barass from under the Hawks realise he is 29 years old and people thought Houston was old
You have got this all wrong, Barras is a younger version of Brian Lake and instead of winning 3 flags and a norm smith before he retires he will help us win 5 in a row and 2 normies.

I'm in favour of taking the two picks to the draft, or depending on list space trading back to Sydney for 19 + 22. 3 picks in the top 25 would be incredible + Campo twins but it will depend if we have the list space.

To be honest, the calibre of available free agents and tradeable targets this year has been underwhelming. With the rise in the salary cap, strong draft and Tassie coming in, clubs and players seem to be hunkering down. I'd much rather bank the cap space and get aggressive with topping up over the next 2 - 3 years. There's no point adding mature players with big salaries to the list just because they are there. We need to be targeted and calculated, and play what's in front of us. At the moment it's a deep draft and the resigning of Weitering and TDK.

Really like what Austin has done thus far.
Save our Houston money this year, take a couple of NGAs next year and focus on a couple of 2026 FAs. Imo we should be heavily chasing players like:
Brayshaw
LDU
Rayner

While also in SDK’s ear to try and get him out of Geelong.

If we play this off season smart, it could really set us up for years to come

Great trade by Austin. Will be interesting to see what happens next.

“Worst case scenario” we hit the draft and pick up some quality players.

Doubt it will happen but I wonder whether Melbourne would bite at 12 + 14 + Cerra or Kennedy for Petracca. They won’t ever have a better chance to cash him in than that, both us and the pies won’t have first rounders next year and picks beyond that point are far less valuable due to uncertainty.
Lordy!

There goes the farm.

Two first round draft picks especially when they are close together are worth their weight in gold even in a normal draft year.

Better yet, in the range we have them it starts to become more about drafting for needs rather than drafting the best. If we draft well we could cover two big holes in the list in one swoop with top end talent in those particular areas.
I heard Austin say the same thing re needs - looks to be his focus.

Pick 14 is a great acquisition other clubs know we paid such a hefty price for it, so to sell the price will be high.
On draft night if a team comes hard for it, we could easily snag a pick around 20, F1 and F2 with some later pick swaps.
We could draft a player or bundle and move up or use it in a trade during the trade period.
Personally prefer us to hold it for draft night tbh and see if someone comes knocking if not, there's plenty of good talaent around our pick and we use it on them.
This trade period feels like a win win to me, and we have not even acquired a big-name player.
Take a bow Curly Jnr. 👍😊

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back