Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Couple of things…

1. If we use picks on draftees they’ll most likely play seniors in 2-3 years time. And there is no guarantee they’ll become best 22. Still This is how you need to plan for longer term but that is likely to be close to being past our flag window. So idea of attaining ready made players prolly makes more sense?

2. Idea of upgrading picks 12/14 to a single top 5 pick is a big risk. dusty/harley Reid types are very rare. If we are going to use our picks on ND than use 12 and 14…do not upgrade.

Maybe, if DGB works in the CBD, and at BCF on the W/E, the AFL and the new CEO can set some KPIs which will help him get busy in traffic, camp under the ball more and be a better Blue than he was Hawk 😀 and an SSP selection maybe . . .

# acronymour
I’d rather a song. And let it involve Shiel, rabbits and Clarko. I miss those days. Now we’re just being boring and taking our stupid picks to the draft.

Last edited:
From the www...
Worth a punt!

Denver Grainger-Barras took some strides in his development over the course of 2023, widening his skillset to spend part of the year as a tall-forward. Initially drafted as a key backman, Grainger-Barras played in Box Hill's defence for the majority of 2023, before he was sent forward and booted nine goals in back-to-back VFL games. He earned a call-up in the AFL side as a forward in Round 17. He collected a total of 27 touches and booted four goals across his four senior games towards the end of the 2023 season.

Couple of things…

1. If we use picks on draftees they’ll most likely play seniors in 2-3 years time. And there is no guarantee they’ll become best 22. Still This is how you need to plan for longer term but that is likely to be close to being past our flag window. So idea of attaining ready made players prolly makes more sense?

2. Idea of upgrading picks 12/14 to a single top 5 pick is a big risk. dusty/harley Reid types are very rare. If we are going to use our picks on ND than use 12 and 14…do not upgrade.

Nah, the stats say that a number 3 draft pick will play at least 9 games in their first season. There are a couple who look like they could play immediately. Don't forget that Ollie got a lot of games and he was a skinny Pick 11.

Ben is pick 40 in regular circumstances and Lucas will be a rookie at best.

These boys were getting all sorts of accolades and MOTM plaudits. I reckon they have backed off considerably.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 3 alone would mean CFC turning its pick 12, F1 and F2 into 3. That’s risky as f**k. Dow was picked at 3.

2017 crop looked nothing like this year's...

Get our hands on Lalor or Draper, with Walker coming up soon and we're going to have a gun midfield for many years to come...

Ben is pick 40 in regular circumstances and Lucas will be a rookie at best.

Ben won the McCallum Tomkins medal with only 6 games. His final vote count was 18 and tied with 3 other players. Two of those played 17 games to amass those 18 votes, while the other played 9.

There's no doubt we told them to put the brakes on. They stopped playing and hence have dropped down the pecking order.

Not sure that is correct at all . Ben was best on ground in the U17 future game last year with all the top prospects playing. Made the All Australian U18 side this year and was MVP for South Australia and then to top it off wins the U18 SA best and fairest with 18 votes from 6 games. I think we will get a steal with him.
IF Ben fixes his kicking he will be right up there in a redraft. His ball winning and defensive work is as good as any but his ball use is ordinary at best.

It's a big IF though.

Ben won the McCallum Tomkins medal with only 6 games. His final vote count was 18 and tied with 3 other players. Two of those played 17 games to amass those 18 votes, while the other played 9.

There's no doubt we told them to put the brakes on. They stopped playing and hence have dropped down the pecking order.
The thing is.. if we're saying that here, then rival club spotters, recuiters etc would know this as well.

IF Ben fixes his kicking he will be right up there in a redraft. His ball winning and defensive work is as good as any but his ball use is ordinary at best.

It's a big IF though.
Willing to bet it will be fine and we will be talking about our 2024 draft steals.

Yeah, thanks for proving my point... 7 years in and they're not exactly world beaters are they...
LDU and Cerra will be 10+ year footballers. Dow will not be.

My point is putting all our eggs (12, F1 and F2) into one basket (3) is a risky move.

12, F1 and F2 on the trade market would get you an A+ player on the trade market. And Pick 3 is an untried footballer. It’s risky.

You don’t hit every pick every time. We f**ked pick 3 in the past and many many other high picks - Dow, SPS, Philp, OBrien, Stocker, Lucas, Boekhurst, Bootsma, etc etc

Backed off?

In terms of visibility. They are not getting any hype because they are going to be father/son and aren't another Ashcroft coming along.

Ben was named SA's MVP and was Captain. He made the U18 AA side. I have no idea why he is sliding as much as he is but I think he is going to be way better than where he is currently ranked by most scribes.

Lucas was not up to Ben's level this year, but before that had been tracking fairly closely to his twin brother.

The point is that I don't believe we are getting players that wouldn't be picked up if there last name wasn't Camporeale. I'd say there would be more hype on them if they were available to every team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back