Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Good clubs do this well.

Lions brought in Payne for example who struggled previously but played a role in GF side. Ah Chee was struggling at GCS. Every flag side has these players. You need 30 or more players contributing to win a flag.

As much as we all get excited by early picks and names like Houston it’s our ability to nail a couple of later players that can take us further.

A List Managers ability to maximise late picks, rookies or improve DFAs can make a massive difference to a side
You've over thought my point Soapy.
There's players and then there's players.
I'm all for recycled players.
I was objecting to people putting forward names like Liam Ryan and even Granger Barrass.
Older players with injury histories and the old we'll try to retrain the square peg to fill our round hole.
Ludicrous when we are finally balancing our list and making it more durable. Spots are a premium. Right player....of course!

Cant see how WC now get Baker. They wont use 3 of course. They wont get a 1st for Barrass now. They only have next years 1st which could be in the top 5 again.

And i think Richmond want pics this year.

Let’s see their tune once Freo swoopes on Baker now.

You've over thought my point Soapy.
There's players and then there's players.
I'm all for recycled players.
I was objecting to people putting forward names like Liam Ryan and even Granger Barrass.
Older players with injury histories and the old we'll try to retrain the square peg to fill our round hole.
Ludicrous when we are finally balancing our list and making it more durable. Spots are a premium. Right player....of course!
Ryan I understand but DGB is 22. IMO worth the discussion at least to see if club can think he can reach his early potential

Cant see how WC now get Baker. They wont use 3 of course. They wont get a 1st for Barrass now. They only have next years 1st which could be in the top 5 again.

And i think Richmond want pics this year.

Let’s see their tune once Freo swoopes on Baker now.

A future pick for Baker might also work for Richmond. They wouldn't want too many picks in the one draft and so spreading them over two drafts would work for them.

So 9? I'll say 8 Dunkley is not a star. Cerra 2023 > Dunkley

Cripps, Walsh, Charlie, harry, TDK, weits, Draper, Saad

Comfortable with that for sure! (I think Saad is a better half back than zorko)

But to their credit. They also have kiddy Coleman who is a ****ing gun too.

They've a great list. I think Draper puts our midfield ahead of theirs

I think our spine is ahead.

Our flankers are well behind.

I don't see adding Houston as putting us any closer to them. Draper? **** yes.

We are too Cripps reliant atm, but with him involved in the equation, comparison would be a question of Draper matching combined outside output of Ashcroft and Neale. If Cerra steps back up and Draper is dangerous at next level, Walsh and Cripps both get more latitude to be damaging outside too. Would be a deadly mix, especially with Hollands boys and Docherty (even Cotts) rotating through HHF and wing

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We shouldn’t offer anything more. If they want our picks then it needs to be on our terms. Plus the points index is well in their favour just if we traded 12, 14 for 3

WCE might be peed off we took 14 from Hawks when they wanted it for Barrass

Not unhappy about this. I like 12 & 14 in this draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope we take advantage if we do this trade for pick 3. This time is different, if we are to believe they contacted us, then we need to ask for a bit more than just pick 3, because at the end of the day they need our two picks to get Baker and keep a 1st for themselves too. The threat of Fremantle to get both baker and Bolton is real as they have 3 1st rounders.

I would be also asking for at least a 2nd round pick or dare i say it the pick they get for Barrass. And throw in Carrol too.

So that will leave us with pick 3, round 2 and the later picks for points that we can possible move up or do something with.

We have a bit of the upper hand here. It’s how i would play it.

Westcoast want Bolton and they cant lose him to Fremantle. No one else can offer this hand to them but us. It wont be St Kilda. Sydneys picks are at the bottom end of the 1st round.

And i dont think Richmond want future picks.

It’s ruthless yes, but i want us to be.
I think Richmond would be receptive to future picks to spread the talent, and subsequent contract extensions, over a broader span of time. All clubs plan years in advance so, I wouldn’t write them off as a trade partner in any context.

I`m with you, I would like to see us hold our two 1st rounders & hit the draft. If we trade up to 3, I worry about the pressure we place on the kid we pick....IMHO Stocker is an example of a kid drowning in expectation when we drafted him.
TBH, I've thought about this a LOT over the last couple of years.

It's a great point, and it's a different level of expectation for different teams.

It's one thing to be picked in a bottom side that is rebuilding, as there is no real (legit) expectation that they will be 'the answer' to the clubs woes.

And, it's also reasonable to expect that a club that has recently (within 5-10 years, like say Richmond) won flags, doesn't provide as much heat on a young draftee as a number 1 pick.

A high draft pick at our club, with near 30years without success, would be an absolute pressure cooker on a young mind.

If we invest in the draft, I hope we keep 12 & 14 to do it.

Last edited:
We have thrown an offer out there. Walk away now and if they come back to us it’s on our terms. Let’s all not forget, 12 and 14 in a even draft is gold
Agree. We've done trades so far that are nominally in the other side's favour in order to get us in the position we are, with 2 good first round picks. If WC want those picks, it will be a trade in our favour. Very happy to go to the draft with those two picks otherwise.

Well there goes my Draper dream ….

Sad Season 4 GIF by The Office

Reckon Freo is a better fit for Baker anyway. They pick up him and Bolton, and they're in contention straight away (weren't far off it this year). He's 26. Go to WC and his best years will be spent as part of a rebuild. Tigs have got rocks in their heads if they reckon those two are worth more than Freo's 10, 11 and 18.

Pick 3 is worth 2348 pts

Picks 12 and 14 worth 2840

That’s roughly a difference of pick 50.

Austin has made it clear he wants 2 picks inside 20 not sure how that deal for pick 3 would work for us.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Could be something like...
Picks 12 & 14 to WC for 3 & 26
Pick 26 + Brisbane's F2 to GWS for picks 16 & 56

Would get us 3 & 16 in this draft. Might not be beneficial for GWS but something similar could play out, particularly with a club like GWS who don't have too many high-end academy kids in this year's draft but potentially could next year

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back