Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVII - A return to normalcy

Remove this Banner Ad

Controversial take - if we lose Kennedy for nothing due to 38 getting eaten, it should have been Hewett who we traded out

You can only trade someone who wants to leave. Kennedy leaving is a result of him being more versatile than Hewett who, as a result of that, was kept his natural position and thus would have no reason to want to leave.

Controversial take - if we lose Kennedy for nothing due to 38 getting eaten, it should have been Hewett who we traded out

You're going to have to explain that one.

If a bid comes before 38 can we trade that pick before matching or is that not allowed?

That's a great question. I don't think there'd be any rules to stop you. Could tee up a future trade and then pull the trigger if needed, then trade back in with the same future pick

38? Hmmmmm

Have to assume we believe B.Campo will be bid after or we will use this to upgrade a pick or trade into next year

Still so many things can happen

All in all a very good draft period for us. Austin has done a great job

I wish Matt Kennedy the best. He’s a beauty 👍

Was it? I think that's debateable. Gave up a lot for a pick 3.

Anyone else see an agreement with Lions to pass on nominating on Ashcroft and in turn trading #38 and a F3 for a F4 or something along those lines ???

ither way I think the Value for Kennedy is about what I expected and I assume it will be used to move further up this draft or into next year
Any sort of agreement to not bid on a player would be draft tampering. Any lopsided deals would be heavily scrutinised by the afl for sure.
I’m sure we look to move 38 on, but I doubt we can really get it high enough to get above a bid for Ben with our remaining assets, and I don’t think we have the list spots to take another player anyway. I’d say we trade it into next year with maybe another minor pick coming back to us this year for points.

We've been saying it for a while, but there was always going to come a time where our list got to a point where we'd lose players we would like to keep.

Until now, it has been fringe types: SPS, Fisher, Dow, Setterfield. Owies and Kennedy were best 22 all year. First ones to really sting, and I can only wish them all the best.

On balance, a great trade period. As many have said, 38 was technically the right value for Kennedy, but it just seems to be in exactly the wrong place for us in this draft given the likely F/S bid.

Still, if this trade period has taught us anything, it is that Austin has a strategy. I guess he will be war-gaming all the scenarios between now and draft night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're going to have to explain that one.
Kennedy moved on as was told he wouldn’t get the mid rotations he wanted to play & that he has value (late 2nd).
Hewett was also deemed as not as valuable as a trade option.
If we end up getting zero return for the pick, we traded the more valuable player for nothing.
Hence we should have kept the younger, more versatile player

Wish nothing but the best for Matty Kennedy. In a different scenario he would still be on our list but out of the beasts he was probably most expendable. He was more versatile than Georgey but not better than him as a pure mid. I'm glad he's got a decent contract with a club I don't dislike.

Hopefully we can bundle pick 38 with something else to move up in the draft order or we get to use the pick before Ben gets bid on. Assuming this will happen.

Happy Kempy didn't go and hopefully it was as Sammy Edmond reported, because he didn't want to go there. Smart lad if that's the case.

Still quite a bit to happen list wise before everything is finalised for 2025. Interesting times.

MIN 4 draftees was the plan and assumed that we’re hoping that LC > rookie contention.
How do we get the extra 1 or 2 selections in, or are we going to be picking deep in the draft in the 50/60’s for the players sought?
3, 38, 63, 68, 69, 72
Started with
12, 34, 66, 69, 72

Austin will know 38 is worthless with an early bid, so expect he will have a plan to move forward in this draft or future pick. It is his job to make this work even if we make a small loss on the 38 in the process.

Sad to see Kennedy go, probably worth around the 38.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVII - A return to normalcy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back