Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVII - A return to normalcy

Remove this Banner Ad

At one stage last year on SEN, when we had strung a few wins together, Hoyney (I think) rolled out some stats about how our better ball movement and transition from the backline was due in large part to Kemp. Can't can't recall why but probably due to him taking on the man and taking a few risks etc ???
I could see that. When he was playing higher up the field he was playing well and taking on the game a fair bit.

There are a lot of pieces where our ball movement fails.

One is that our forward line has too many passengers and not enough good overhead players. Our small forwards sit back and wait for the ball to be kicked to someone else because they have no overhead game and they also are not genuine forwards, they have been taught to play there, they don't have the instincts to play there and do no hunt the ball in the air. So often we get the ball rolling and then become held up because the options forward of the ball are no good.

The other one is lack of pace in the midfield. We lack run and carry and we have too many mids who are too slow to get forward of the ball and generate run.

Then there is the issue in defence where we also lack smarts and run. Saad often is our only quality rebounding half back. IMO you need three. Kemp has done the role at times. Finding someone to sit on the other half back flank and take the game apart has been difficult. No Docherty, we moved Williams, Boyd was in and out and on and off.

I think having Kemp forward will improve our ball movement quite a lot more than having him back has.

We do need to fix our run from defence. Hopefully Saad stays fit and perhaps Docherty moves back there. Maybe Hollands, Boyd, Wilson and Cowan can lift. Williams may also get fitter and return to defence. Hard to say how things will work out for us.

I could see that. When he was playing higher up the field he was playing well and taking on the game a fair bit.

There are a lot of pieces where our ball movement fails.

One is that our forward line has too many passengers and not enough good overhead players. Our small forwards sit back and wait for the ball to be kicked to someone else because they have no overhead game and they also are not genuine forwards, they have been taught to play there, they don't have the instincts to play there and do no hunt the ball in the air. So often we get the ball rolling and then become held up because the options forward of the ball are no good.

The other one is lack of pace in the midfield. We lack run and carry and we have too many mids who are too slow to get forward of the ball and generate run.

Then there is the issue in defence where we also lack smarts and run. Saad often is our only quality rebounding half back. IMO you need three. Kemp has done the role at times. Finding someone to sit on the other half back flank and take the game apart has been difficult. No Docherty, we moved Williams, Boyd was in and out and on and off.

I think having Kemp forward will improve our ball movement quite a lot more than having him back has.

We do need to fix our run from defence. Hopefully Saad stays fit and perhaps Docherty moves back there. Maybe Hollands, Boyd, Wilson and Cowan can lift. Williams may also get fitter and return to defence. Hard to say how things will work out for us.

Are you saying we need a "Dan Houston" type player ?? :D :D

Whatever Kemp is, he needs to improve at it. He did well in games the midfield dominated but was shakey when under pressure and ultimately only played in his non preferred role due to injuries by the end of the year. We would be better served trying to get Lewis Young up to scratch
he's only played 44 games....

For that package yes. But if say Jagga was there at our pick (RIC trade up and go Lalor and FOSas suggested) I could see MEL and STK calling. It would cost them 5/9 or 7/8 if they want him that bad. That’s 2 trades you’d have to consider - though highly unlikely IMO.
if our player choice is gone I'd consider it

At one stage last year on SEN, when we had strung a few wins together, Hoyney (I think) rolled out some stats about how our better ball movement and transition from the backline was due in large part to Kemp. Can't can't recall why but probably due to him taking on the man and taking a few risks etc ???
Yep. That's the Leeroy Jenkins in him. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVII - A return to normalcy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back