Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVII - A return to normalcy

Remove this Banner Ad

Always need to assess these deals at the end of the trade/draft period, but just on this deal I am not enamoured

Lost: 12, 34, 73, F1, Owies - Gained: 3, 63, 68

Pros: We have a chance at picking up a solid A grader, releasing salary cap and more points for the Campo Twins (which I believe could be done without this deal)

Cons: Lose the chance to pick up 2 x solid B graders

We really won't know the success rate for at least 4 years, but let's just nail pick 3
For me, I thought the trading for 14 was brilliant.
34 would have been swallowed by the Ben bid. Owies we almost certainly would have had to delist, and we got some more points.

So it comes down to 12 + 14 vs 3.
I'm more inclined to take the 2 picks in this draft, but yes, won't be able to assess until years down the track.
Let's nail pick 3 (which will probably be 4).

I said Sunday I was dreaming of pick 3 and look, my dream came true

deal or no deal snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

For me, I thought the trading for 14 was brilliant.
34 would have been swallowed by the Ben bid. Owies we almost certainly would have had to delist, and we got some more points.

So it comes down to 12 + 14 vs 3.
I'm more inclined to take the 2 picks in this draft, but yes, won't be able to assess until years down the track.
Let's nail pick 3 (which will probably be 4).
reckon there might be one more roll of the picks!

If we judge the quality of a trade on how upset the other clubs supporters are we've won by a mile.

WC panicked by the chance of Baker going to Freo?

Yep. Baker made it clear he wanted Richmond to be well compensated. No chance he was going to walk to PSD. Would have been open to going to Freo.

WCE literally screwed themselves by playing hardball with Hawthorn.

Point 2 for sure. I don't think Sidebottom can move anymore..
Bottom, Pendles and a few others were showing significant wear and tear and second half season rejuvination as they clinged on to hoping to get contracts gave the Pies a glimmer of hope they were still worthy. 2025 Pies will be an interesting story.

Elliot - injured a lot and 32
Mitchell - a bit out of favour, starting to get the soft tissues and 32 early in the season
Pendlebury - been slowing down a lot the last 2 years, only his experience and nouse has kept his value and Pies will be rooted without this 37 year old in January.
Bottom - 34 in January, like Pendles last 2 years have shown rapid decline but able to spin out a good half season to get that exension.
Cox - 34 in March - just tall.. can't kick beyond 30 metres
Mihocek - 32 by start of the season, has gotten the most out of himself but time is calling fast and injuries have been coming.
Howe - 35 mid season, started to lose his abilities significantly this year, like Pendles and Bottom glimpses of his best and no such replacement have seen them still need him in the 22.
WHE - 31 - a useful plodder, best and worse miles apart. Time is drawing near
Cameron - didn't realise he'll be 30 next year.. decent ruck but can't see him having the longevity of a Gawn.
Crisp - 31 - still playing okay but not a stand out, serviceable but for how much longer

Maynard, DeGoey, Moore, McStay, Maynard, Markov - All will be 29-ish by the end of next season.

If Pies have a bad start to 2025 again, the second half of the season will just see the Daicos' boys sea-gulling possessions to get the little prince a brownlow.

I foresee Pies having a decent start to 2025 and then starting to fall over like we did this season in the back half. With 16 of their starting 22 closer to the end of their careers and with Tasmania about to come in, good luck. Obviously they're gunning for number 17 in 2025, hoping for another even-ish season with a softer draw propelling them into the 8 and a shot.

So we wouldn’t trade two first rounders (be it pick 12 + 14 or our F1 when we still had it) for Houston (ready made player while in our window) but then we do trade them + more/players for pick 3 (unknown quantity, could very well be another Paddy Dow)

Doesn’t really feel like we “smashed it out of the park” as being suggested here.

What am I missing??

Im in the same boat. I find it underwhelming tbh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am I right in thinking with 63, 68 and 69 we only have 220 points to match a Ben Campo bid at the moment? So if he's bid on prior to pick 54 we can't currently match...

More movement incoming if that's the case you'd think.

Am I right in thinking with 63, 68 and 69 we only have 220 points to match a Ben Campo bid at the moment? So if he's bid on prior to pick 54 we can't currently match...

Will end up with closer to 600 points once those picks come down after bids.

I think Austin has done a good job here, I’m still hoping we can get another pick before a bid on Ben or to get one after him.

Hopefully Austin can make noise about taking Draper for the next month and see if Adelaide offer us anything to swap pick 3 and 4, could be a good way to get back in the early 20s.

I prefer Draper so if Austin does too, just take him.

Bottom, Pendles and a few others were showing significant wear and tear and second half season rejuvination as they clinged on to hoping to get contracts gave the Pies a glimmer of hope they were still worthy. 2025 Pies will be an interesting story.

Elliot - injured a lot and 32
Mitchell - a bit out of favour, starting to get the soft tissues and 32 early in the season
Pendlebury - been slowing down a lot the last 2 years, only his experience and nouse has kept his value and Pies will be rooted without this 37 year old in January.
Bottom - 34 in January, like Pendles last 2 years have shown rapid decline but able to spin out a good half season to get that exension.
Cox - 34 in March - just tall.. can't kick beyond 30 metres
Mihocek - 32 by start of the season, has gotten the most out of himself but time is calling fast and injuries have been coming.
Howe - 35 mid season, started to lose his abilities significantly this year, like Pendles and Bottom glimpses of his best and no such replacement have seen them still need him in the 22.
WHE - 31 - a useful plodder, best and worse miles apart. Time is drawing near
Cameron - didn't realise he'll be 30 next year.. decent ruck but can't see him having the longevity of a Gawn.
Crisp - 31 - still playing okay but not a stand out, serviceable but for how much longer

Maynard, DeGoey, Moore, McStay, Maynard, Markov - All will be 29-ish by the end of next season.

If Pies have a bad start to 2025 again, the second half of the season will just see the Daicos' boys sea-gulling possessions to get the little prince a brownlow.

I foresee Pies having a decent start to 2025 and then starting to fall over like we did this season in the back half. With 16 of their starting 22 closer to the end of their careers and with Tasmania about to come in, good luck. Obviously they're gunning for number 17 in 2025, hoping for another even-ish season with a softer draw propelling them into the 8 and a shot.
Makes the deal for Schultz even worse.

Think they're in for some long term pain tbh. A lot of cap space will come up but they'll need to plug an awful lot of holes.

Those picks will come in quite a bit as bids on Levi Ashcroft, Isaac Kako, Leo Lombard, Sam Marshall happen.

Expect our picks to come in up to 10 places

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVII - A return to normalcy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back