Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

We will shed some cap space with the cumulative effect of Marchy, Cunners and Martin moving on, but you wonder if we would put Williams on the market and see if there are any takers. Would be more about clearing cap space vs any draft pick incoming, but there a lot of clubs (Roos, Dons, Hawks, Tigers, Saints) with plenty of space to accommodate… I’d rather keep someone like Owies vs a very talented, but overpaid and injury prone Williams.
We’d have to contribute 50% of his salary. No one would be insane enough to give him anything near what he’s on.

They are such a good example. They identify something they need and they go after it. They were losing Tim Kelly who was a gun for them while he was there, and they used the draft pick haul to plug another hole with one of the best players in the game.
They do everything right It's about time we looked seriously at their entire model.
They have been adept at keeping a balance when addressing their list, and blooding new players while there's enough experience there to guide them, and building experience and getting them used to the game plan.

We seem play our senior players into the ground even when they have serious injuries, and only blood young recruits when someone is too broken to play. then drop them the next week. Insanity.

He's quick, he's a burst player, he can move the ball and also provide a strong option, and yes he can spread from a stoppage.
If Petracca was mid 20's it would make some sense, but we can prelong the opportunity to contend if we embrace the draft & find some quality young talent.

We look likely to have a much earlier pick or two than expected.
We are going to fall off the cliff pretty quickly with alot of players reaching 30' soon, one player won't make the difference, we need 2-3 players to address our issues, dangerous strategy chasing another high end player.

At the start of the season many posters were saying Walsh is our number 1 mid
And in the top 5 of the comp. The talk about trading him at the moment is a little short-sighted. We also shouldn't be giving Cerra away, his best is fantastic, poor guy has had 5 hamstrings issues in 2 years, of course his output is lower atm.
I think Hewitt and Kennedy are our 2 thst we could potentially trade, but both would not be on big $s and probably wouldn't get a lot in a trade.
I hope we don't pursue Trac, the risk return for him doesn't add up to me, 29 now and he might fall away in 2-3 years like Dusty did, and if he got injured and missed a lot of next year, big risk for a couple of first round picks…
We were obviously wring, he aint that great atm. May turn it around, may not?

Give me 2 or 3 22-24 year olds who have played between 60-80+ games who can replace some in our bottom 6.

That game range means durability and also best 22.

Draft the young blokes.

Keep developing ours.

We have a core group that can play finals consistently.

Ensure injuries are a minimum, do the smart stuff, the true and tested stuff, not the time to be fancy.

Chase a gun, but don’t sell the farm, if we can work out a deal that is fair and balanced then great.

Petracca is a dream. Have fun thinking of it, won’t happen.

There are heaps of b+ graders who can replace our bottom 6 that will help shape our team to help right our weaknesses.

Move the f’ing perennially injured blokes on. We have held c graders on our list who are covering them hoping that they will return and take their spot.

I hope we make finals to give the blokes another taste, to give our younger supporters something to be excited about.

What ever the reason we stuffed up this year, it can be corrected and we can, we will improve from here.

Support voss. He wants it as bad as all of us. 3rd year, 1st we bombed out, 2nd prelim, 3rd had us in 2nd a few weeks ago, with the chance of us still making the 8 in a bonkers year.

This is the longest post I’ve done without being a being a clown.

Missing Arr0w, hope he is okay.

Not sure where all this salary cap space is going to appear from.
Already have 5 players close to or over 1 mil a year, need to re-sign TDK, but plan on adding another 1 mil plus player… silly season has started!
I'm not sure about that, the players themselves have said they've taken less to keep the core together. I think most of them would be closer to $800k than at or over $1m.

Crippa, Trac and TDK in the midfield create an unbelievable mix of experience, power, strength, height and agility.

Trac adds exactly what we are currently missing in our mid group - burst/power and goal kicking ability.

He's like a Dustin Martin on steroids. He is untacklable.

As well if we bring in a B grade 2nd KPD

Our team becomes perfectly balanced and ready to bring home multiple flags

2 x star KPFs
2 x star Mids
2 x star KPDs

Problem is Dees will most likely want H in return

If they were happy with Cerra + picks Id have no problems doing it.
We dont need more aging stars with injury problems.

We need a modern gameplan and good role players, who happily adhere to the gameplan

Coupled with a match committee, that walks the talk on selection integrity.

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

On the Walsh discussions, I think it's just very likely that it's a guy who didn't have a pre-season hitting the wall in the back half of the season. It's almost predictable, we just overlook it because Walsh is super professional and fit, but there's more to a season fitness than cardiovascular fitness. He's clearly lost his strength and can no longer break a tackle or power out of congestion. His kicking has never been elite but it's lost all penetration.

He's not had a rest all year aside from byes, we probably could've managed his season better but we've needed our stars on the field given the tightness of the season.

Yarran doesn't belong with that group. Played some very good games for us - 119 games, 90 goals (inc. 26 in 2013).

Yes, he promised more, but what he gave us was at times electrifying. And in the end, we still got pick 19 from the Tiges (where he never played a match).
Yeah, you're right abt Yarran, he was great in spurts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the Walsh discussions, I think it's just very likely that it's a guy who didn't have a pre-season hitting the wall in the back half of the season. It's almost predictable, we just overlook it because Walsh is super professional and fit, but there's more to a season fitness than cardiovascular fitness. He's clearly lost his strength and can no longer break a tackle or power out of congestion. His kicking has never been elite but it's lost all penetration.

He's not had a rest all year aside from byes, we probably could've managed his season better but we've needed our stars on the field given the tightness of the season.

Agree - if we recall last year he did his hammie against West Coast and missed 3-4 weeks from memory but it meant he hit the finals, fresh and at full tilt ....and was voted Best in Finals !!

So all of these questions swirl around our heads. Using the Petracca/McKay example. What if Petracca's injury leads to lasting issues? What if he isn't the same player? What if he wants too much money? What if losing McKay hurts us more than Petracca helps us? What if the culture of the club suffers from bringing in a highly paid player and losing a loved player? These questions will have you second guessing to the point of inaction.
These points are interesting and come up a lot in discussions about AFL player movement, some I think have merit but some seem outdated, the ones about culture being affected by bringing in player A and losing B I feel are overstated.

Recently Collingwood traded out Treloar and Grundy, both well liked and both of them forced out, they then make a prelim then win a flag.

Moves like this are common in the major soccer leagues and the NBA.

The other that gets thrown around is, how would Cripps, Weits and others who have taken unders feel if we went out and spent big $$$ on an outside player?

I’d say the same the Tigers players felt when they went out and got Lynch on $1M after a flag and the Cars when they got Cameron.

I doubt they cared because they want success and can see the moves help that.
Some seem to be planning for the next phase after our current stars. Building another wave from underneath so that we don't become cellar dwelling easy beats. Does this keep us thereabouts or challenging?

We've actually gone a couple of years now .... just counting on improvement from within. I don't think we've got the balls to do what Geelong did when they went after Jeremy Cameron. That worked out pretty damn well for them.
Not just Cameron, Dangerfield too, Isaac Smith, Stengel and Touhy, that’s 5 first round draft picks and more, spent on 3 players.

We’d have to contribute 50% of his salary. No one would be insane enough to give him anything near what he’s on.
I could be wrong, but think his deal is through to the end of 26 and if a club offered him 3 years, so an extra year on top they would only need to pay him him 500-600k ish which is not enormous in modern footy.

Yarran doesn't belong with that group. Played some very good games for us - 119 games, 90 goals (inc. 26 in 2013).

Yes, he promised more, but what he gave us was at times electrifying. And in the end, we still got pick 19 from the Tiges (where he never played a match).
Yarran was a uniquely gifted footballer. One of my faves. Just sad he went off the rails.

Give me 2 or 3 22-24 year olds who have played between 60-80+ games who can replace some in our bottom 6.

That game range means durability and also best 22.

Draft the young blokes.

Keep developing ours.

We have a core group that can play finals consistently.

Ensure injuries are a minimum, do the smart stuff, the true and tested stuff, not the time to be fancy.

Chase a gun, but don’t sell the farm, if we can work out a deal that is fair and balanced then great.

Petracca is a dream. Have fun thinking of it, won’t happen.

There are heaps of b+ graders who can replace our bottom 6 that will help shape our team to help right our weaknesses.

Move the f’ing perennially injured blokes on. We have held c graders on our list who are covering them hoping that they will return and take their spot.

I hope we make finals to give the blokes another taste, to give our younger supporters something to be excited about.

What ever the reason we stuffed up this year, it can be corrected and we can, we will improve from here.

Support voss. He wants it as bad as all of us. 3rd year, 1st we bombed out, 2nd prelim, 3rd had us in 2nd a few weeks ago, with the chance of us still making the 8 in a bonkers year.

This is the longest post I’ve done without being a being a clown.

Missing Arr0w, hope he is okay.
Terrific post. Every line of it.

How about the current bloke? What has he delivered from 1 less draft?
apples and oranges tbh, SOS wasted a lot of first round currency on high risk/reward picks. Austin hasn't had a single sub 10 pick yet... passmark for mine but not class leading

Remove this Banner Ad

Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Back