Bluemour 'Silly Season' Edition XXXIV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
To difficult at the moment to determine if he makes it or not, but will spend all of next year in the VFL

IMHO, his best chance would be as a 3rd tall forward
If he plays third tall forward he could play back up ruck. Leap is ridiculous. And his ground work (chasing etc) was next level in the limited minutes at end of season rhere.

I’m bullish on him. He’s a long way off it. But I’m bullish.

To those who watch the VFL will Akuei make it and if so what position will he play?
Dom has got a long way to go, maybe too far to go. he has really good athleticism and decent skills, and he wants to get where the ball is, but he gets out-bodied too easily at this point, and he doesn't read the play well. His ruck work was surprisingly good, but he doesn't make much contact at the centre bounce. Good Ruckman initiate contact in the centre to deal with the jumpers.
At this point he doesn't lead; he makes position and then stands around. He doesn't demand the ball enough, nor do our guys look for him as a target. He does keep close to his man as a defender, and he does spoil adequately. He has some decent closing speed. The ball seems to go close to him, without him getting a possession. His work rate is quite acceptable.

One thing to keep in mind when suggesting trading picks in the 50s and 60s is that they could all be completely useless. It appears most clubs are only going to go with 2 or 3 draftees which means we are looking at between 36-54 being used. Now perhaps one club will go for four but it does seem most clubs will want to trade up with the picks they don’t plan to use so not sure if there will be anyone to trade with. Conversely if you hold picks 66 and 68 for example those could well end up being 50 and 51 once the clubs with the picks ahead pass.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Me too , you could give me the whole third 4th and 5th round I would still use pick 10 and 28 but somehow that’s better than pick 1 and 2

Agree - but if you know another club can't take early picks as they need more points to enable them to get a F/S then you can exploit that situation to get higher up the order.

Don't mind it - I'm sure the AFL spent most of the afternoon contemplating giving us absolutely nothing.

Reasonable symmetry to it too, considering we spent pick 46 on him in the 2014 trade period.

(Dogs used that pick to draft Caleb Daniel, which I find vaguely annoying...)

Got about the same pick we'll end up giving for Acres.

We'll come out ahead on that if you look at it that way.

Don't mind it - I'm sure the AFL spent most of the afternoon contemplating giving us absolutely nothing.

Reasonable symmetry to it too, considering we spent pick 46 on him in the 2014 trade period.

(Dogs used that pick to draft Caleb Daniel, which I find vaguely annoying...)

Also symmetry with picking up Young for about the same - basically a 12 month delayed swap with the Dogs in which we sent them a 32 year old Jones (and 18 months out of the game) in exchange for a 23 year old Young who showed a lot in his debut season with us.

Also gives symmetry in our trade of SPS - we effectively got Acres for SPS which is a big thumbs up (for now anyway).

Also gives symmetry in our trade of SPS - we effectively got Acres for SPS which is a big thumbs up (for now anyway).

You lost me here M.

We traded SPS to west coast, who passed on #52 to the dogs and got Young in the process…

So effectively we got Young for SPS. Not sure where Acres fits into this equation 😄.

Pick 49 for Jones is decent, pretty much gives us back our third round pick. We go back to having a solid draft position which is what Austin wants. He's still a newish list manager and keen to put his stamp on our list and bring in a group of young players. I've been happy with his recruiting so far and I'm keen for him to have the opportunity to shape the list. I think now it's a lot about exploring getting into the deeper end of the draft and perhaps upgrading some picks.

Pick 49 for Jones is decent, pretty much gives us back our third round pick. We go back to having a solid draft position which is what Austin wants. He's still a newish list manager and keen to put his stamp on our list and bring in a group of young players. I've been happy with his recruiting so far and I'm keen for him to have the opportunity to shape the list. I think now it's a lot about exploring getting into the deeper end of the draft and perhaps upgrading some picks.
Carroll / Durds and Mot. Not too shabby from Austin with to be honest, not a whole lotta picks. He'll kill it with the hand we have this year. Not to mention those he's brought in via trading/FA. good stuff.

Carroll / Durds and Mot. Not too shabby from Austin with to be honest, not a whole lotta picks. He'll kill it with the hand we have this year. Not to mention those he's brought in via trading/FA. good stuff.

Austin isn't the recruiting manager. He's the list manager. Picking the individual draftees is much more to do with Brodie.

Austin isn't the recruiting manager. He's the list manager. Picking the individual draftees is much more to do with Brodie.
Of our Best 22 for 2023, roughly 12 members will be trade ins from other teams.

Not sure how this compares to other teams but the number seems fairly high. We have very few best 22 team members that have been actually drafted post 2016.

For me, the drafting record of Brodie and Agresta is dismal and a fairly big cause for concern going forward. Good trading is masking what a poor drafting performance it has been over time.

I'm very happy with the work Austin has done, but this part of the club ought to have been freshened up a little bit. I'm disappointed it hasn't been, seems so obvious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He needs to kill it, from 2016 to 2020 we missed on so many quality picks it is incredibly reminiscent of 2008 to 2014.

Let’s not beat around the bush, unless we start nailing some quality picks and then finding some gems in the rough our time at the top end will be short lived.

Critical period for the club

He needs to kill it, from 2016 to 2020 we missed on so many quality picks it is incredibly reminiscent of 2008 to 2014.

Let’s not beat around the bush, unless we start nailing some quality picks and then finding some gems in the rough our time at the top end will be short lived.

Critical period for the club

From what I've been told, if we don't become a meaningful finals participant next year (ie. Top 4) the club will be pulling the ripcord and undertaking a mini rebuild.

From what I've been told, if we don't become a meaningful finals participant next year (ie. Top 4) the club will be pulling the ripcord and undertaking a mini rebuild.
interesting how we'd do that - there's a 'middle aged' core of actual stars on long contracts who would generate a shit load of picks but not sure our bottom 10 of the best 22 would generate too much trade value.

lets hope its just a hypothetical as we go deep in finals next year

interesting how we'd do that - there's a 'middle aged' core of actual stars on long contracts who would generate a s**t load of picks but not sure our bottom 10 of the best 22 would generate too much trade value.

lets hope its just a hypothetical as we go deep in finals next year
We have the top tier talent. Probably more of it than most other clubs.

We need the lesser likes to stand up to take us forward next year.

Looking at:
Fisher
Cottrell
LOB
Durdin
Motts
Owies
Carroll

We know what we are going to get from the top enders. But if that above group provides 10% more output, that's what's really going to take us places

Looking at:
Fisher
Cottrell
LOB
Durdin
Motts
Owies
Carroll

We know what we are going to get from the top enders. But if that above group provides 10% more output, that's what's really going to take us places

This, by many times.

I could see them trading a top ten player to fill another more pressing area of need. But a mini rebuild? Nah. The list isn’t the problem at this point.

Looking at:
Fisher
Cottrell
LOB
Durdin
Motts
Owies
Carroll

So when you say "mini rebuild" you mean cutting a few bottom 6-8 players and drafting some more kids? I mean.....that's just general turnover, yeah?

General turnover is what we're doing this year

Mini rebuild will be trading more best 22 types for improvement

Most sides offload a couple of "best 22" players each year, I don't think doing so constitutes a mini rebuild. I'm still not clear on what a mini rebuild is? I'm also not sure how doing so helps us win a flag any sooner.

For what it's worth, I don't think a binary "Top 4 or heads roll" approach is what the club would be planning, regardless of what you've been told.

I do think some heads will roll no matter what though, because we've got some fairly highly rated younger guys in the ressies who we need to find a position for or risk losing - Kemp, Caroll, Boyd to start with - and it makes sense to trade some of the less-critical starting players next year anyway to open up positions for these guys. That hinges on those guys showing enough in 2023 to give us confidence that they could perform at the required level in 2024.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back