Bluemour 'Silly Season' Edition XXXIV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
To difficult at the moment to determine if he makes it or not, but will spend all of next year in the VFL

IMHO, his best chance would be as a 3rd tall forward
what I saw in the VFL, he looked much more promising as an opportunistic 3rd tall than when he was down back. His leap & pace are weapons, just gotta work on some basic skills, decision making and staying in the game. Being a Cat B he's got some time to keep developing without occupying a valuable list spot.

View attachment 1525900
So on one hand the H deal duration is criticised, but in the same headline the Taranto deal is praised/filled with potential?

They both have the same contract duration!!!
I have ZERO concerns about Harry's deal but I don't think it's insane to suggest that a seven year contract might have a bit more risk for a giant KPF than a midfielder.

I have ZERO concerns about Harry's deal but I don't think it's insane to suggest that a seven year contract might have a bit more risk for a giant KPF than a midfielder.
Coleman medalists have a pretty good record of long careers. H isn't going to get shorter. Midfielders who aren't blessed with pace and have never made the AA team are more of a risk in my book.

Setters played his best footy for us on the wing, but with Acres coming in I can't see Setters being anymore than depth being Acres, LOB, Cottrell.

Wat8.jpg

To difficult at the moment to determine if he makes it or not, but will spend all of next year in the VFL

IMHO, his best chance would be as a 3rd tall forward
What will the club need to see from him to get another contract after next year? What do you expect to see next year to say he is worth a list spot?

Geez Barrett is dickhead. Banging on about how we’re paying Charlie, Harry and Cripps $1m or thereabouts per season. As if he’d even know. And isn’t the narrative that they boys are taking more than unders to stay together?

If I had the time and the inclination I'd like to ring in ask him - "$1m a season - so you are saying Cripps is on a $5m over 5 years, Curnow on $6M over 6 years and Harry $7m over 7 years ???? Is that what you are saying ?? So will you print that in the paper tomorrow and put you name to it ?? "

I bet he wouldn't - he knows they probably average out at about $800K a year.

It all depends on the Setters offer but he is out of contract. I would take pick around 35 but keep him for a pick over 40.
If Setters was to be lured to say North or * with a longer contract and a chance to play regular senior games, would we really have any bargaining power over what pick we receive?
Couldn't they just walk him over for free like the Crows did with Hately last year?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Early takers for compo? I'm hoping 3rd round (or higher) so around that 47 mark but wouldn't be surprised if they * us (again).
I think the AFL knows we did everything to encourage Liam to get vaccinated. They didn’t want to set a precedent by giving us something for a retirement however I think they will look after us now. End of second round compo in my eye.

Where do you see Kemp's long-term position Arrow? Was Kemp playing forward as a necessity (for VFL structure), or does the club view him as a 3rd tall going forward?
A forward floating further up the ground

what I saw in the VFL, he looked much more promising as an opportunistic 3rd tall than when he was down back. His leap & pace are weapons, just gotta work on some basic skills, decision making and staying in the game. Being a Cat B he's got some time to keep developing without occupying a valuable list spot.

Yeah, I think he struggles with the discipline, reading of the ball, playing in the back 6
What will the club need to see from him to get another contract after next year? What do you expect to see next year to say he is worth a list spot?
Just improving consistency in his involvement.

Coleman medalists have a pretty good record of long careers. H isn't going to get shorter. Midfielders who aren't blessed with pace and have never made the AA team are more of a risk in my book.
It is also a lot harder and more expensive to attract an elite KPF than a very good mid.

The length of the contract is a risk to the club but I assume it is offset by a significant reduction in average contract $. If we signed Harry for 4 or 5 years, his manager would have had to push for much closer to market value (potentially $1m+) to protect career earnings in case of a career-ending injury. Locked in for life, I imagine the additional 2-3 years allowed the club to bring the average down to somewhere around $800k/year??

If we're trading Dow and Setters almost guarantees that we'll be drafting a young mid with our first pick. Carroll, Fisher, Doch and pick 11 would be our midfield depth. Would like to hear that Kemp is training with the midfield group too if we trade both out.
You forgot Fog, unless Nick delists him reckon he may have a little resurgence with some support from new coaches.

Kemp is an attacking player by nature and his skill base is better suited between the arcs or as a roaming forward - no doubt he could play defense- but he is much more capable than 'just' a stopping role. Will be interesting to see how he goes with a full pre-season under his belt and more time after recovering from his ACL and other injuries.

What would a player like Harmes cost us in terms of picks etc? Or would we just look to on-trade whatever we’d get for Dow or Setters?

I like the idea of what Harmes brings to the team but not sure where he fits other than a Newnes replacement (fit, versatile, hard body, mature head etc)

I reckon Harmes could be a good fit for us - bit of a harder edge around the contest. Guessing it'd also be a budget issue. Also gives us a bit more cover as I'm nervous about the type of injuries we've seen with Hewett and Kennedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back