Bluemour 'Silly Season' Edition XXXIV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quit beating around the bush. You know exactly who I'm taking about. If you don't think he's accurate, then fine. Don't care. But he seems to know more than he should...
Honestly, I don't know who your are you are talking about and no offence to anyone - but I don't care. The fact is that until something is done it isn't and too much can change between the this to that to hold any 'ITK' or any 'opinion' to account or take anything with more than a grain of salt.

I was responding to pages of conjecture about swapping two lottery tickets for one lottery ticket - all amusing and mildly interesting - but all conjecture.

My view on drafts has been consistent for years - pure lottery unless you get serious talent - which is very very rare and even then the teenager is too young to know whether their body will stand the rigours of AFL.

Here is a list of top10 and first rounders that haven't made it - just at Carlton in the last 5-6 years...

Dow LoB SPS Setterfield Pickett Stocker Cuningham ( we have hope) Marchbank ( same) Pickett .....
still invested ( for now) Carroll/ Philp ( what areach) and Kemp....

Interestingly : Durdin/Motlop are at least getting game time as is Jack Silvagni ( pick#57 ) Cottrell ( rookie) Owies ( rookie) Boyd ( delisted from Dog) and even Honey ( rookie) - all preferred players and doing better than teh 'high picks' mentioned above...

The club aced the talls in Harry and Charlie and got the no brainer #1 picks in Weitering and Walsh correct - TDk is looking good ( why did we pass on his brother?)

Draft is a lottery - especially for teenage midfielders and third tall/forward/backs who too often were just early developed and playing much bigger bodies against little high school runts.

I really don't know why people get so worked up about teh draft/lottery high pick caper- I get much more excited about the Club getting third rounders and rookies right

Quit beating around the bush. You know exactly who I'm taking about. If you don't think he's accurate, then fine. Don't care. But he seems to know more than he should...
It was pretty evident from the Austin commentary that they were looking to move up the draft order, to achieve this we naturally must have one or two players in mind, the news is hardly a surprise pretty much all clubs rate Sheezel highly it is hardly earth shattering news and the forum appreciates some insight, there are many people connected to footy clubs so always going to be some commentary, how do you think the media gather information.

At the end of the day Surrey, he has failed himself. The guy had all the tools to be a very good AFL footballer, but his attitude is what ultimately got in his way.

Position change is definitely not easy and I think mentally he couldn't cope with that. I've seen enough games where he clearly lacked intent.

Setters was always up against it though given we have Brownlow Medalist Cripps playing his preferred position as that tall, inside mid.

Though there was another spot up for grabs which he didn't take and Kennedy did.

Would like to keep Setters over Dow but it's best for his career that he move. Essendon have a midfield of short people so he should be a good fit there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At this point, it isn't about getting value out of Setters - He is surplus to needs, isn't in our best 22 AND is out of contract.

What were we expecting? Don't forget we paid a future 3rd for Acres. I'd argue Acres is more proven/valuable than Setters.

Future 4th is junk for sure, but this is about getting him where he wants and freeing up a little bit of salary cap.

At this point, it isn't about getting value out of Setters - He is surplus to needs, isn't in our best 22 AND is out of contract.

What were we expecting? Don't forget we paid a future 3rd for Acres. I'd argue Acres is more proven/valuable than Setters.

Future 4th is junk for sure, but this is about getting him where he wants and freeing up a little bit of salary cap.
Everything you say makes perfect sense... but it still feels disappointing!

Good luck Setters, had front row seats to that beautiful goal he slotted against GWS. Has the tools, hope he plays for the Dons and goes well.

Just was never going to get a game ahead of Cripps, Hewett or Kennedy next year. Surplus to needs, trust the club on this and happy to see him get an opportunity to play more footy elsewhere.

The club didn't offer Setterfield a contract, clearly don't rate him and tbh there's very little difference both points wise and in terms of the caliber of player available in the ND between the 3rd and 4th round.

Every chance we bring in a mid at 10 in the ND.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back