Bluemour 'Silly Season' Edition XXXIV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on how much we rate Sheezel as to what we want to give up to guarantee we get him.

Could be something like:
OUT: Pick 10 + Future first
IN: Pick 3 + future third

North effectively turn pick 1 & JHF in to pick 2, 10 + two future firsts (4 first rounders in total).

Total points of both our first rounders essentially puts Sheezel at pick # 2 which may be overs but guarantees we get him.
Two first round picks (including pick 10) for a draftee? Wow, he would want to be good!

What you reckon we would get for Kemp/Dow/Honey/Philp/Cottrell/Owies/obrien/Plowman/Fogarty/Curnow on the open market ? I think the fact that there are ten players minimum on our list worth next to nothing to any club- says we should be bringing in at least 3-4 senior players this off season and probably the next one too. Or you happy with the list ?

This makes no sense.

There are > 40 players on every list. How much do you think a player in the 30-40 range on most lists is worth?

I'll give you a hint. We just picked up a solid best 22 player from the team who finished 5th, and paid a third rounder.

Only young high draft picks or players that are both best-22 AND better than "solid role player" have any real value in this system.

We are no different to any other club in this regards.

Eric Bana Chopper GIF by Madman Films

Because we keep giving contracts/ money unnecessarily. Did we really need to give Owies two years ? Assume on 100k over min so again lose 100k on a potential upgrade end of next year.

Two first round picks (including pick 10) for a draftee? Wow, he would want to be good!
JHF - who isn’t far off being a draftee - just went for 2x first round picks, albeit he has some AFL form to draw on.

Maybe the club is backing themselves to push into the Top 4, at which point swapping a future first for for a future second (in addition to this years pick upgrade) might just be a 7-8 pick downgrade.

JHF - who isn’t far off being a draftee - just went for 2x first round picks, albeit he has some AFL form to draw on.

Maybe the club is backing themselves to push into the Top 4, at which point swapping a future first for for a future second (in addition to this years pick upgrade) might just be a 7-8 pick downgrade.
Is this kid as good as JHF? I'm genuinely asking as I don't know. Like I said - he would want to be good!

Is this kid as good as JHF? I'm genuinely asking as I don't know. Like I said - he would want to be good!
Not as good as JHF in 2021, but Sheezal is similar to Rozee.

I don’t think he was as good as him in his draft year, but he’s better defensively.

He is a pretty safe player to get in terms of his work rate is exceptional, he tackles hard, has reasonable pace and lots of general smarts and goal sense.

Best aspect is he plays in a position of need and will come in an contribute pretty quickly. Also has scope to develop into a dynamic outside mid, which might also be a current gap in our list.

What's that got to do with anything?

You could make the exact same argument at every club. It's just complete nonsense to suggest other clubs have stars right down to the 45th player whilst we're hoarding list cloggers.
I'm hoping Nick is planning on maneuver to climb up to a higher tier come trade night, snap up exciting talent and we're all happy, otherwise its been dull and stagnant 2022 trading period, whilst opposition teams have improved their lists some markedly, fairly obvious and frustrating.
We've been waiting for well over a decade to get our team firing again, one can understand the restlessness perhaps.

I'm hoping Nick is planning on maneuver to climb up to a higher tier come trade night, snap up exciting talent and we're all happy, otherwise its been dull and stagnant 2022 trading period, whilst opposition teams have improved their lists some markedly, fairly obvious and frustrating.
We've been waiting for well over a decade to get our team firing again, one can understand the restlessness perhaps.
Really? The club doesn’t need to win the trade period or make it entertaining for fans. Our 22/23 is already stronger for next season and then we add some kids in the draft. What’s wrong with that?

I agree, I am a bit over Shneetzels anyway.

Really? The club doesn’t need to win the trade period or make it entertaining for fans. Our 22/23 is already stronger for next season and then we add some kids in the draft. What’s wrong with that?
Excellent and I hope we do, obviously its a fine balance and not easy , improving our playing list with whatever means are available is the scope, not wining a particular trade period.
I'm looking forward to a maneuver or two come trade night, acquiring young exciting talent is integral and important to list management, just as attracting mature and skilled experienced players too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Left field idea, but with the Melbourne/Collingwood impasse on Grundy, would anyone be prepared to offer pick 9 for Grundy and 16, on the basis Geelong is prepared to trade pick 7 for TDK?

Not advocating it, but it gives us ruck certainty now and two first round kids for the future. Pies still to pay $300k of Grundy's wage means we should be able to carry the balance with TDK moving out (and Setters who was on pretty good $). All other pieces of our list are already signed...

I have no desire to move on TDK but IF we got Grundy, he'd become redundant.

Left field idea, but with the Melbourne/Collingwood impasse on Grundy, would anyone be prepared to offer pick 9 for Grundy and 16, on the basis Geelong is prepared to trade pick 7 for TDK?

Not advocating it, but it gives us ruck certainty now and two first round kids for the future. Pies still to pay $300k of Grundy's wage means we should be able to carry the balance with TDK moving out (and Setters who was on pretty good $). All other pieces of our list are already signed...

Oh great we finally have a talented young ruckman who we've developed for several years and has more development to go.

Here you go Geelong.

Still couldn’t afford it even with Pies paying 300k

Not relevant to us as we won't play him in top 4 mids obviously but got the feeling Setters will fly at * and average 25 and 4 tackles to be top 5 in theor B&F in 2023.

Makes me annoyed only BC it's them but happy for Will to get more opportunity.
I recon owies would finish top 5 in their bnf if theyre hanging their hat on setters being some kind of savior then theyre more deluded than i thought

I recon owies would finish top 5 in their bnf if theyre hanging their hat on setters being some kind of savior then theyre more deluded than i thought
Matt Guelfi finished 3rd this year, Kyle Langford 4th a couple of years ago.

Their top end falls away horribly after Merrett, Parish and Wright.

No Way Do Not Want GIF by Schitt's Creek

Playing list is good, we’ve addressed a need and have our early draft picks.

It’s the injury list that needs to be sorted out. That and the coach taking too long to come up with a plan B once teams started shutting us down is what held is back this year but it’s a very good playing list.

Well he went for 3 and a future 1st likely outside the top 10, and part of that paid for downgrading 1 to 2. As pick 1 a year ago, it's a good price but it's hardly the same as punting 2 first rounders on a likely top 5 player. The starting point is different.

I wouldn't pay pick 10 and a future pick on Sheezel. I'm half expecting him to fizzle at AFL level. A slower Rankine perhaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back