Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate and I were laughing during the Port game how often Cripps refused to let the handball go to a clear team mate choosing to take tackle first. Taking on the tackler should be the last choice not the first. Is it selfishness or lack of trust though?

Could be instruction or a tactic, draw the tackle, sometimes more than 1 tackler and then dish off to a team mate in space

Sometimes the simplest explanaton is the most accurate

Over the year, we've had our fair share of injuries (short, medium and long term, soft tissue and contact)
This minimises availability of players to step up, particularly if they're not up to AFL level as yet
As a result, players who are playing sore have to keep playing and cannot be "managed"
This either reduces their output or worse increases their chance of getting injured
And so it becomes a cycle we can't get out of.

Martin Marchbank and Cuningham (and Williams but a bit less) have effectively given us -3.5 on our list all year
Add Doc and Jack and we have effectively played with 5-6 unavailable players for pretty much the entire year

At some point, we were going to snap

From the horses mouth. Push them until you break them. Cross your fingers you don't break your stars

My friend who had worked in the elite system up until this year (and will be again next year) has said very similar things to me when discussing soft tissues in the AFL

He dealt with first to third year players and at his club, there was a bloke I queried him on and that's when he offered up a similar attitude as to what Jack did in that audio.

However, I have defended Jack relentlessly in this forum and I must admit I think he is at least partially to blame at this point. I just don't see how we have so many players miss so much football with repeat short term injuries. We would have to be the worst for it in the competition. I do think Jack is pretty brilliant but I also think he is too experimental for a results driven industry.

FWIW - some second hand information from a couple of players:

- Think they've been training too hard during the week. Voss has been very hard on the group and they are just exhausted.

- Vossy gave a few of the senior players a spray for being selfish (inc. Crippa).

- Players did get a bit cocky after the mid-season wins.

- Players still like Voss but he is very very tough in striving to win.

- Bit of a feeling some just want the season to end so I don't hold out a lot of hope for the last two games.

Excellent to hear. Maybe its a deliberate plan to weed out the weak on the list?

From the horses mouth. Push them until you break them. Cross your fingers you don't break your stars

This is messed up. I have been an elite level athlete and my 21 year old son is an elite level athlete, albeit in different sports. But this is pure madness. If my son’s coach was doing this to him I would be suggesting going elsewhere. The old saying in elite sport is better to be 95% than 105%. Because that means you’re cooked. I have known many coaches like this in the elite system across a range of sports. And they wonder why so many athletes end up with mental health issues. Really disappointing to hear this.

I'm in two minds about the whole pushing the players until they break thing, but they do need to be fitter and tougher.
I have no issue at all with senior players being pulled up for being selfish.
Was it Charlie that burned Cripps a little while back when Cripps was running into goal and Charlie just pegged it from around 50 and missed?
Cripps regularly burns an easy option to take on 1, 2 or 3 tacklers, to either get caught HTB, or release a rushed handball while being spun around. We also seem to have guys taking crazy snaps from all angles when there could be an option in the corridor for a chip/mark. Plenty of other teams seem to be able to pick those kicks out, but we regularly seem to avoid it.

I've had this dream.

[PLAYERCARD]Christian Petracca[/PLAYERCARD] Dance GIF by Melbournefc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think people have ignored the expensive player movement that has happened over the last 5-6 years in terms of cost and whatnot, but I don't disagree that Petracca in a Carlton jumper is a pipe dream.

The other side is, the last trade of this kind was Tim Kelly. Didn't turn out so good for WC, and Trac has had his injury issues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Back