Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Us trying to get Petracca would be the most delusional thing this club could do at this stage of the list. We need to be targeting the draft pre Tasmania and building a core of youth. Our VFL has zero depth even when we are mostly fit.

You see how great it is someone like Cowan coming on and establishing himself in the side. We need more of that, young players coming in gradually into the side. Builds a sustainable core.

I've said it a million times, the only way you win flags is by drafting and developing well. Just coming filtering in high quality youth while you have an experienced side already with enough "stars".

In saying that, trying to get Petracca would be the most Carlton thing ever....

Imagine we’d picked these instead

Dow - LDU
O’Brien - Ed Richard’s
SPS - Harry Perryman or Will Haywood
You think that’s bad?

If we never traded a future first to the Crows so we could draft Liam Stocker, we would have Caleb Serong in our midfield right now.

Honesty keeps me awake at night sometimes.

Us trying to get Petracca would be the most delusional thing this club could do at this stage of the list. We need to be targeting the draft pre Tasmania and building a core of youth. Our VFL has zero depth even when we are mostly fit.

You see how great it is someone like Cowan coming on and establishing himself in the side. We need more of that, young players coming in gradually into the side. Builds a sustainable core.

I've said it a million times, the only way you win flags is by drafting and developing well. Just coming filtering in high quality youth while you have an experienced side already with enough "stars".

In saying that, trying to get Petracca would be the most Carlton thing ever....

I don’t disagree with you, but Collingwood won a flag despite not drafting a single hit for almost 10 years (besides Daicos, Moore & Quaynor who were all F/S & academy).

You have a decent chance of pinching one with the top up method.. when you’re actually good at it.

Dynasties are made by drafting and developing though.

I’ve always been a believer you should nail your sails to the mast.

It’s a no to Petracca for me.

1: we need more than one pacy player, and our best hope of getting multiples is through draft picks we would have to sacrifice

2: we’d likely have to trade someone good to free cap space. I’d rather keep our good players

3: for list management, I actually think you can have too many a graders on your list. Yeah, yeah, I know others will disagree on that point. But the good teams are the ones who build depth. Our depth is a problem. And we’d be trying to improve it without the draft picks we’d be sacrificing for Petracca

You think that’s bad?

If we never traded a future first to the Crows so we could draft Liam Stocker, we would have Caleb Serong in our midfield right now.

Think that’s bad?

We also traded pick 5 for Cerra who was in the Dow, Obrien draft.

That’s 3 top ten picks in one draft. 2 busts and one potential bust.

Incredible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Petracca is a top-5 player in the whole comp when he's on, he's their best player and contracted for 5 more years.

If we had a player of that caliber and the other team had Harry + a 1st, I'd be asking the same.

This place overrates Harry, btw. Love him but he hasn't done enough to warrant the mega-star reputation he has on here. Had a good Coleman year, was better this year but overall.. I'm still waiting for the final product & I'm unsure if it's arriving. Has all the ability in the world but can't help but think he will always struggle in the big moments.

I agree we probably overrate Harry just a tad - he's a very good player but hasn't quite become what I was hoping.

But I still think you're not properly assessing the risk factor here - which weighs heavily into the price.

I mean sure, Petracca can be top 5 in the comp when he's rolling at his best, but will he reach that again? And for how long?

Again, I state .... 29 y/o next year with possible injury concerns.

Harry + 1st rounder is just way too much given the risk.

Now you might argue that teams need to be bold to win premierships, and that's probably true. But I can't see a list manager that would be bold enough to pull the trigger on that, as the ultimate responsibility would sit with them when it goes south.

I think you're right in that Melbourne would probably use that scenario as a starting point in the negotiations, but they'd know full-well the final transaction wouldn't be anywhere near that lopsided.

Last edited:
It's amazing the sudden need to blow the list up. Flogged on the track to breaking point, when we could have ushered in some debutantes 4 or 5 weeks ago to manage the health of the list. We've blown our own season up with mismanagement. Fingers crossed the kids can get it done.

So if we shouldn’t consider throwing the kitchen sink at opportunities like Petracca (no proof that that’s even legit) for various reasonable yet unverifiable reasons, who do we target? Who’s available that would immediately make us a better team? Would love to hear people thoughts. Thanks.

Let’s just go mental.

Haynes - free agent
Petracca - will cost us two first and something
Parker - DFA or **** all

Go all in for 2025

We’ve thrown away complete drafts for years we may as well give up the draft for petracca.
If Parker came and was cool with playing a forward role, sure. Trac I'd be open to but only if they paid part of the pay packet. Otherwise I like this draft a lot so think we can get some talent now and experience cheaply. Big Yes for Haynes.

You think that’s bad?

That keeps you up at night? What makes you think SOS would have taken Serong? We probably would have taken Mchasey or Stephens.

That draft, SOS traded down past Flanders, Picket, Day.

Don’t look too hard, we might get some sleep

So if we shouldn’t consider throwing the kitchen sink at opportunities like Petracca (no proof that that’s even legit) for various reasonable yet unverifiable reasons, who do we target? Who’s available that would immediately make us a better team? Would love to hear people thoughts. Thanks.

I think posters on BigFooty are fencesitters when it comes to List Management, and it's understandable.

The average fan who isn't passionate to be posting and analysing games, is thrilled whenever any good player comes to their club. We are aware of the draft and salary cap, and therefore where our team will be situation in 1 year, 2 years, 5 years. We also have a massive emotional tie to our good players and don't want to lose them.

So all of these questions swirl around our heads. Using the Petracca/McKay example. What if Petracca's injury leads to lasting issues? What if he isn't the same player? What if he wants too much money? What if losing McKay hurts us more than Petracca helps us? What if the culture of the club suffers from bringing in a highly paid player and losing a loved player? These questions will have you second guessing to the point of inaction.

We don't have these answers.

I believe that players like Cripps, Walsh and Weitering are driven and hungry for success. I believe they'd all play for less if it meant increasing our premiership chances. We only have a couple of years of peak Cripps left. What sort of hole would his retirement cause? Our window is closing quickly and we have gone nowhere near a flag.

Some seem to be planning for the next phase after our current stars. Building another wave from underneath so that we don't become cellar dwelling easy beats. Does this keep us thereabouts or challenging?

We've actually gone a couple of years now .... just counting on improvement from within. I don't think we've got the balls to do what Geelong did when they went after Jeremy Cameron. That worked out pretty damn well for them.

Last edited:
Imagine we’d picked these instead

Dow - LDU
O’Brien - Ed Richard’s
SPS - Harry Perryman or Will Haywood

You think that’s bad?

Talk about self-harm guys. Never, ever look back on a draft with hindsight, wondering who else we could have taken. I look back and think, it's an unknown. We can't be concerned about what we don't know.

If SOS comes out and says that others wanted LDU and he overrode this for Dow, then sure. We would know how close we were. O'Brien was a reach, but we don't know who else they had in mind. SPS was always touted to go where we took him. The year before he was rated at #1. Hard to read intent and desire sometimes. It wasn't a great top end draft.

I think posters on BigFooty are fencesitters when it comes to List Management, and it's understandable.

The average fan who isn't passionate to be posting and analysing games, is thrilled whenever any good player comes to their club. We are aware of the draft and salary cap, and therefore where our team will be situation in 1 year, 2 years, 5 years. We also have a massive emotional tie to our good players and don't want to lose them.

So all of these questions swirl around our heads. Using the Petracca/McKay example. What if Petracca's injury leads to lasting issues? What if he isn't the same player? What if he wants too much money? What if losing McKay hurts us more than Petracca helps us? What if the culture of the club suffers from bringing in a highly paid player and losing a loved player? These questions will have you second guessing to the point of inaction.

We don't have these answers.

I believe that players like Cripps, Walsh and Weitering are driven and hungry for success. I believe they'd all play for less if it meant increasing our premiership chances. We only have a couple of years of peak Cripps left. What sort of hole would his retirement cause? Our window is closing quickly and we have gone nowhere near a flag.

Some seem to be planning for the next phase after our current stars. Building another wave from underneath so that we don't become cellar dwelling easy beats. Does this keep us thereabouts or challenging?

We've actually gone a couple of years now .... just counting on improvement from within. I don't think we've got the balls to do what Geelong did when they went after Jeremy Cameron. That worked out pretty damn well for them.
Well we have Cook now who signed off on Danger and Cameron at Geelong. He could be one of the drivers to get a deal done for Trac if he’s viewed as a piece of the puzzle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Back