Bode trade!

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by dyertribe
We should post Skipworth's photograph on hotornot.com... ;)

OH maybe skippy_14 can give you a link to a photo to put up on hotornot.com!

oh wait she already did that ;)

The Lonie Range said:
McGough is quite easily better than Skipworth. Collingwood don't want Skipworth, they want Bode.

That's alright mate, apparently Bode is far better than McGough just because, so there.

This has been an interesting read. I am a fan of McGough and certainly hope that we don't get rid of him prematurely. He is not a racehorse. Nobody disputes that, but his pace has been hampered by his groin troubles over the last 18 months or so. Hopefully when fully fit, he will regain some of it.

In defence of McGough:

1) He finds the footy very well. He is a footballer rather than an athlete. His high possession games stand out, but if you look at a lot of his 10-15 possession games, also look at the time on ground. He rarely plays full games. The company line is that this is to manage his groin troubles.

2) As Dyertribe has argued, he is only 20 and has scope to improve. Not many players with his amount of experience have actually won games for their side. McGough has.

3) He is not afraid to go in and get the footy. If you have watched him closely you'll see that his vision and handballing are exceptional.

His kicking needs work, nobody disputes that. 3 Years ago Pies fans wanted Licuria and Johnsons heads on platters for their kicking skills as well. Its something that can be improved and I hope we give him the chance to do it.

And Dyertribe, it seems that you are bashing your head against a brick wall with some of your fellow AFC fans ;)

I've been a fan of McGough because he does have talent, and isn't as crap as some people say.

... but have to wonder about whether a 'certain' person here would object to trading him if he was good looking or something..

But anyway, if that offer came up, Adelaide would be nuts to turn it down!

RooDog said:
well more than you to start with, this is because im not the one in love with one of our blokes that isnt upto AFL standard, luckily im not in love with any of our guys at all...

C'mon - this is unfair ... Everyone is allowed to have blind devotion to favourite players at their club. I kinda like Skipworth and would like him to stay on the list - don't necessaily want to walk down Rundle Mall holding hands with him, but it's not like he's Josh Mail, or Romano Negri or Allan Bartlett or ...

dyertribe said:
Matthew Bode Career Stats

Yeah... considering we gave up a first round pick (Shaun Burgoyne) for him and he's provided us with nothing but inconsistency and poor delivery ever since finally taking the field for us in 2002, what a ridiculous idea to cash in on a decent youngster and a low second round pick for him!

For what we gave Bode should be a gun. He isn't. That deal would be a fantastic exercise in loss cutting.

Disagree. Bode was very good in 2003 and had limited opportunities this year.

bode's potential can be seen in the game when we beat Brisbane at home. He was sensational

Would be kept for another year, certianly ahead of an honest trier with no disposal skill such as McGough.

Jars458 said:
Disagree. Bode was very good in 2003 and had limited opportunities this year.

McGough was very good in 2003 and had limited opportunities this year because of OP.

Jars458 said:
bode's potential can be seen in the game when we beat Brisbane at home. He was sensational

McGough's potential can be seen in the game when they beat Essendon in the ANZAC Day game and he was best afield at only 17 years of age.

Jars458 said:
Would be kept for another year, certianly ahead of an honest trier with no disposal skill such as McGough.

An honest trier who averaged 19 possessions a game this season while Bode was scratching his nads.

As for 'disposal skill', when did Bode become Darren Jarman? I must've missed that.

dyertribe said:
McGough was very good in 2003 and had limited opportunities this year because of OP.

McGough's potential can be seen in the game when they beat Essendon in the ANZAC Day game and he was best afield at only 17 years of age.

An honest trier who averaged 19 possessions a game this season while Bode was scratching his nads.

As for 'disposal skill', when did Bode become Darren Jarman? I must've missed that.

Didn't say he had. You would need to gain out of the trade to do it.

Havn't seen enough of McGough really but I think Bode is a good player.

Part of being a footy club is also showing a bit of loyalty to your players. I think Bode should get another year with some quality time on the ground.

Possesions dont mean anything, yes Mcgough might be a ball magnet but so was Matt Connell!
Yeah he has had a couple of decent games, but who hasnt?
Bode hasnt done much this year, but he has hardly had a decent run, and when he did he played awesome until he got injured.
With stinger gone Bode will get that all important run on the ball and I think he will shine.
He can chip in and kick a goal or two which is always handy with our poor forward line.
One more year for Bode IMO give him a decent run and then we will see what he can do.

Blue Red and Gold said:
Yeah he has had a couple of decent games, but who hasnt?

Not many 20yos can boast a 33-possession game against Port Adelaide.

But hey, lets agree to disagree on this one and hope Bode proves me wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jars458 said:
Didn't say he had. You would need to gain out of the trade to do it.

Havn't seen enough of McGough really but I think Bode is a good player.

Part of being a footy club is also showing a bit of loyalty to your players. I think Bode should get another year with some quality time on the ground.
If Craig is to put the emphasis back on skills within the side, I hardly think Mcgough fits into the future selection criterea.

Wayne's-World said:
If Craig is to put the emphasis back on skills within the side, I hardly think Mcgough fits into the future selection criterea.
Sure, but then neither does Bode with his field kicking.

Kane McGoodwin said:
Sure, but then neither does Bode with his field kicking.
Good point!
Does that tell us something - If Craig as an assistant coach did not have Bode as a central part of the midfield group, does that mean things will change now that he is head coach.

Won't be surprised if he is traded ;)

Wayne's-World said:
Does that tell us something - If Craig as an assistant coach did not have Bode as a central part of the midfield group, does that mean things will change now that he is head coach.

Maybe Craig did see him as a central part of the midfield but Ayres didn't. I think we sometimes overestimate the influence an assistant coach has. I think Craig has shown that he has different ideas to Ayres that weren't visible to the spectator while Ayres was in charge. In the short time that Craig was coach before Bodes injury I thought it was evident that Bode was getting more opportunities in the midfield.

**** said:
Maybe Craig did see him as a central part of the midfield but Ayres didn't. I think we sometimes overestimate the influence an assistant coach has. I think Craig has shown that he has different ideas to Ayres that weren't visible to the spectator while Ayres was in charge. In the short time that Craig was coach before Bodes injury I thought it was evident that Bode was getting more opportunities in the midfield.

Couldn't have said it better.

I get the feeling that Bode will be back to him 2002 for with Craig next year. I expect Craig to give Bode a LOT more game time that Ayres and use him differently. Bode will be a vvery handy player for us next year.

**** said:

agree totally, hopefully we will get back the best bodey next season if he is given more game time! the hard nosed in an under player that was around in 02 and 03 when he use to swap off the bench with Bicks!!

**** said:
I think we sometimes overestimate the influence an assistant coach has. I think Craig has shown that he has different ideas to Ayres that weren't visible to the spectator while Ayres was in charge.****

I think Ayres came across as the type of person that if you were lucky would ask for your opinion and then do what he was going to do anyway.

It will be interesting after having a pre-season to see which players perform under Neil that where not performing under Ayres. In the few rounds that Neil was coach players like Reilly and Doughty (when not injured) seem to grow an extra leg.

Bode on the mend
5:36:50 PM Thu 16 September, 2004
Matthew Robran
afc.com.au
Adelaide midfielder Matthew Bode has made a successful recovery from ankle surgery and has already started rehabilitation with the intention of having his most demanding pre-season training program.

Bode has had a small chip removed from the bottom of his left tibia bone and also has had a split cartilage repaired.

"Some floating scar tissue was removed, too," he said. "The leg is feeling much better already."

Bode, 25, was one of several key Crows who succumbed to injury during the second half of a season in which he was restricted to just nine games, to lift his tally to 82.

Under the guidance of Neil Craig, he forced his way back into Adelaide's powerful midfield and rewarded the match committee's faith with a 23-possession, two-goal game against the Western Bulldogs in round 13, and he was in fine touch against Melbourne the following week before his leg problems became too much to bear.

"I was starting to play a few full games again, so it was very frustrating for it to happen just when Neil took over as senior coach," he said.

"It was a bit of an over-use injury and the problem was that I felt sore, but still played on it. It probably wasn't the best thing to do. I should have pulled the pin and let it heal through rest."

Bode was still able to maintain a positive attitude, despite having to miss the last eight home-and-away rounds.

"One positive to come out of it is that you realise just how much you love playing the game when you are unable to," he said.

One of Adelaide's fittest players - he is regularly in the top three in all tests - Bode has wasted no time in ensuring his ankle will be ready for another demanding pre-season when the Crows get together again at AAMI Stadium on November 11 to begin pre-season training.

"I'm doing rehab every day to regain the strength in the ankle," he said. "And I've started a weight-training program because I'm not running yet.

"I'd like to think I could start to run in about three weeks. In the meantime, I'm doing a cycling program to maintain a good fitness level.

'I'd like to put on a couple of kilos over the pre-season. I'm hoping to cement a regular place in the midfield next year, so my plan is to have a very big pre-season in order to get my fitness to the best it has ever been. I'd like to play every game next year."

Remove this Banner Ad

Bode trade!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back