News Brad Crouch to Saints (STK make offer; Band 3, ADL to match?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically that both Carlton and Brisbane paid a premium to ensure they got their player without having to give up anything in return and how smart it was on their part.
Real smart of Brisbane paying 830k a year for a broken down player. Good luck with that. They will lose a decent player in 2 to 3 years.

Basically that both Carlton and Brisbane paid a premium to ensure they got their player without having to give up anything in return and how smart it was on their part.

Because both Essendon and GWS have shown they're not willing to let sides **** with them.

Whereas we've shown we can be ****ed with so St Kilda are taking Brad on the cheap knowing there's a greater than 50% chance we fold.

Interesting.

means the suns chances of getting him have totally evaporated too... they had cery little chance to begin with but a glimmer of hope..

maybe they will turn their attention towards brad now if the saints and crows cant work things out.
Suns management stated a few days ago that they weren’t interested, the guy wants to play at Collingwood and has a massive contract and mental health battles.

Why wouldn't incentives be included in the contract terms for compensation?

Because you could have ridicuolous incentives that the player couldn't realistically achieve, and would have the only purpose of inflating his contract value, and free agency compensation.

Ie: Brad Crouch $600k per year for 4 years with an incentive each year of $400k if he wins the Coleman medal, and the Norm Smith medal in the same year. If incentives were included in compensation, his contract is now $1m a year

Real smart of Brisbane paying 830k a year for a broken down player. Good luck with that. They will lose a decent player in 2 to 3 years.

something real funky going on with Brisbanes salary cap recently. Charlie Cameron, Lachie Neale and now Danniher all on BIG deals.

I suspect there's some brown paper bags going to the other players to make it all fit within the cap. I asked my Brisbane contact about it (the one who let me know the ballpark Charlie was being offered which I posted here BEFORE the media started talking about it) and he dodged the question in a way I've never seen before.

When has a club matched and the player stayed? Never?

He's gone for pick 23 at worst and pick 17 and maybe some junk at best. Crows want the picks even if it's not pick 2.

Depend how much those other incentive that the Saints have placed, although you don't need to match them you have to include them in B.Crouch's new contract otherwise he would want to enter the draft and go to the Saints anyway.
He's less worried about the cash per and more worried about getting the 5 years on his deal.

Same way Jenkins worked when we re-signed him.

why didn't you just get the saints to offer more then we would have had pick 1 and 2
Gold Coast could have had him as a free agent if they offered slightly more than St Kilda. Why would they now trade a top 5 pick for him?

Brad will be at Adelaide or St Kilda next year. That much is clear.
Because I'll sell it real well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I genuinely think crouch was happy to stay. Based on his offers last year we thought we could get a too good to refuse pick 2 and he would get a contract offer we couldn’t match in this phase of our rebuild when the alternative was pick 2

now that has t played out how either party hoped.

we may be talking with all parties still
- Brad you happy to stay on that offer?
- saints we match what are you offering?
- our point of acceptance nay not be pick 2 but it’s certainly not 23+

if we match how long does player have to make a decision may play into this
I tend to agree with you that he will actually be happy to stay but all the point I was making in the first place before a bunch of people started chest beating is that you make sure all is good before just rushing into a reckless move. We've already tried playing high stakes with Brad and it's fair to say its back fired so far so what the club does next is vital.

just on the Jack Martin stance, the Bloos offer of a future 2nd rounder if we had of accepted it would be in the mid 40s, a pick we would never use. I’m glad we held our ground and made it clear the days of taking unders was over. I say this only to highlight I think it’s great if the Crows hold there ground
Agree completely, I'm happy to keep Crouch, given the Saints have ruled out trading for a 1st round pick, if Brad doesn't want to stay (he probably would), but if he didn't I'd rather let him walk to the draft

He's gone for pick 23 at worst and pick 17 and maybe some junk at best. Crows want the picks even if it's not pick 2.

When has a club matched prior to this year?

I'll wait for you to compile a list.

why didn't you just get the saints to offer more then we would have had pick 1 and 2
Because I'm taking over the Crows not the Saints. They won't budge so I'll get us pick 1 and 3 anyway and lose some dead wood on the process. Lesssssss go!

We can't 'hold' him here. If we match he chooses to stay or seek a trade. It's his choice.

It's not quite that clear cut, though. At this stage he only appears to have one suitor, and that suitor have (apparently) said they are not willing to trade for him. So seeking a trade isn't really an option unless some other club steps in. And if another club wasn't willing to have a go at him as a free agent, why would they be willing to step up and trade for him? So if we match the offer, we may well hold him here because the Saints won't trade for him and I can't see him taking the risk of going in the draft. So unless another suitor appears, matching the offer may well hold him. I suspect that's the hold up here - we know that if we match we're probably keeping him, so we have to decide if we're willing to give him the 5 years.

But we could just match and THEN do all those things.
We need to know weather Brad would be open to moving to a club other than Stkilda before we match if we do want him out as they have said they will not trade him in as they don't have the currency, if all along he just wanted a 5 year deal from Adelaide which we didn't want to give him, by matching we give him that and he could refuse to be traded.

Until this year, a club has technically “never” matched. We were the only ones to come close with Danger, but Geelong didn’t bother submitting as Band 1 compo (~pick 13 or 14)was clearly going to be inadequate.

We need to know weather Brad would be open to moving to a club other than Stkilda before we match if we do want him out as they have said they will not trade him in as they don't have the currency, if all along he just wanted a 5 year deal from Adelaide which we didn't want to give him, by matching we give him that and he could refuse to be traded.

If other clubs were willing to take Brad for what he can get at St Kilda (or the Crows) they would have already.

It's us, the Saints or sitting out a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back