Brian Cook- Carlton to win at least one flag next 5 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would we need Brayshaw when Gungho reckons we’ve already got the best of the three? ;)
That statement was made in 2021. When one of those guys is All Australian and voted most valuable player in the league by his peers, and the other guy finishes 10th in his club's BandF, it's starting to look like I was wrong.

You would’ve liked to keep both. Unfortunately Cerra is in it for success and not cash. Oh well :)
It is an odd occurrence in the AFL that every year when good players leave a club everybody thinks that club will drop down the pecking order but often the opposite occurs. In all honesty, has Cerra leaving impacted us that much? We missed the finals when he was playing for us and finished 5th when he wasn't.
As for him leaving for success, time will tell. It doesn't appear to be a certainty considering the last time you made the finals was a decade ago. (even then it was only because Essendon were suspended).

It is an odd occurrence in the AFL that every year when good players leave a club everybody thinks that club will drop down the pecking order but often the opposite occurs. In all honesty, has Cerra leaving impacted us that much? We missed the finals when he was playing for us and finished 5th when he wasn't.
As for him leaving for success, time will tell. It doesn't appear to be a certainty considering the last time you made the finals was a decade ago. (even then it was only because Essendon were suspended).
Now now mate
cakecrumbs-carlton-cupcakes-02.jpg
306448771_190201786712501_8197970090645142146_n.jpg

Better ask yourself do they even exist now, nothing to show for it.
No they don’t, but if you’re going to show me cups won by Carlton in the VFL era as justification for success (and why Cerra would go there) you’re kind of clutching at straws. He wasn’t even born when you guys won your last premiership.

Now you want to debate winning flags, as a Dockers supporter?
A Carlton supporter on here (no doubt a tad insecure with himself) brought the discussion around to the lame “trophy cabinet” joke. My only debate, which you guys seem pretty shirty about, is whether Cerra underperformed last year. I reckon he did. You guys reckon he didn’t.

A Carlton supporter on here (no doubt a tad insecure with himself) brought the discussion around to the lame “trophy cabinet” joke. My only debate, which you guys seem pretty shirty about, is whether Cerra underperformed last year. I reckon he did. You guys reckon he didn’t.

It's convenient that you have remained on the same player, an ex Docker, since your initial post.

So, let's try and finish the discussion and perhaps move on to the thread title

Before we start, did you watch all of Cerra's games last year?

It's convenient that you have remained on the same player, an ex Docker, since your initial post.

So, let's try and finish the discussion and perhaps move on to the thread title

Before we start, did you watch all of Cerra's games last year?
Go back and read my first post, it was about Carlton under Brian Cook and not really about Cerra. In other words, it was pretty much exactly what this thread was about. Of all the players I listed that you wouldn’t want to be in the trenches with in a war, you guys for some reason took umbrage with Cerra. You guys made this about Cerra. I didn’t. I don’t care much about Cerra except to say that if you’re a 23 year old first round draft pick with 100 odd games under your belt, you’ve probably underperformed if you finish 10th in your clubs BandF.

Last edited:
Go back and read my first post, it was about Carlton under Brian Cook and not really about Cerra. In other words, it was pretty much exactly what this thread was about. Of all the players I listed that you wouldn’t want to be in the trenches with in a war, you guys for some reason took umbrage with Cerra. You guys made this about Cerra. I didn’t. I don’t care much about Cerra except to say that if you’re a 23 year old first round draft pick with 100 odd games under your belt, you’ve probably underperformed if you finish 10th in your clubs BandF.
In Cerra's defence, he missed four games and we all know Club Best and Fairests favor the player who play the most games. 13 players played more than 18 games for Carlton.

Not in Cerra's defence, here are some of the players who played more games than him - Fisher, Silvagni, Durdin, Newman, O'Brien, Young...

Firstly I didn't take umbrage to Cerra or any other player that you believe isn't worthy of being in the trenches with

You also stated that Cerra underperformed this year, so before we dissect it, I will ask again, did you watch all his games?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go back and read my first post, it was about Carlton under Brian Cook and not really about Cerra. In other words, it was pretty much exactly what this thread was about. Of all the players I listed that you wouldn’t want to be in the trenches with in a war, you guys for some reason took umbrage with Cerra. You guys made this about Cerra. I didn’t.

You were the first person in this thread to mention Cerra (the player you rate above Brayshaw) in a negative light.

Questioning his salary (150k less than his original club offered) in relation to his value to the team, and questioning his ability to do the hard stuff on game day (3rd for tackles, 4th for pressure acts).

What's your point? Even if you're paying something like $600k a year for him. (which would have to be the low end given we offered him $750) that's still a fairly significant salary, not to mention the draft capital you have given up (pick 6 and change). My point is that (given his cost - in salary and draft capital) he has underperformed - particularly for a 23 year old first round draft pick with nearly 100 games to his name.
The average AFL wage is approximately 406k.. hardly significant to have a young quality mid on 600

This is the cat's micturant version of Gale's vineyard vision.

You were the first person in this thread to mention Cerra (the player you rate above Brayshaw) in a negative light.

Questioning his salary (150k less than his original club offered) in relation to his value to the team, and questioning his ability to do the hard stuff on game day (3rd for tackles, 4th for pressure acts).
You're not too good with comprehension are you mate? I have admitted that I was the first person to mention Cerra, but it was along with 3 other Carlton players that I thought you wouldn't want in the trenches with you to win a game.
To repeat- yes! I did first mention Cerra, but it was very brief and my post was more a general view about the state of your list and future prospects.
You guys then turned this discussion into one about Cerra.

I never said he didn't, just having fun with your sour grapes post, one thing we don't do is stretch the truth.

You're not too good with comprehension are you mate? I have admitted that I was the first person to mention Cerra, but it was along with 3 other Carlton players that I thought you wouldn't want in the trenches with you to win a game.
To repeat- yes! I did first mention Cerra, but it was very brief and my post was more a general view about the state of your list and future prospects.
You guys then turned this discussion into one about Cerra.
so sour

Firstly I didn't take umbrage to Cerra or any other player that you believe isn't worthy of being in the trenches with

You also stated that Cerra underperformed this year, so before we dissect it, I will ask again, did you watch all his games?
I watched a few. Guessing he had some good ones, some not so good ones and some inbetween ones. I couldn't care less. Cerra is a champion of the game - there, ya feel better?
I never said he didn't, just having fun with your sour grapes post, one thing we don't do is stretch the truth.
Carlton posters never stretch the truth? Yeah, right, gotcha.

I watched a few. Guessing he had some good ones, some not so good ones and some inbetween ones. I couldn't care less. Cerra is a champion of the game - there, ya feel better?

Carlton posters never stretch the truth? Yeah, right, gotcha.
You'd be loving what you're seeing from Brayshaw and Serong though.

A few? Guessing?

Yet you come out and state he underperformed last year or wouldn't want him in the trenches

Truly hilarious

A few? Guessing?

Yet you come out and state he underperformed last year or wouldn't want him in the trenches

Truly hilarious
Not wanting him in the trenches stemmed from his entire career, rather than just last year.
You don't need to watch every game to realise someone is underperforming. As stated many times, he is 23, nearly 100 games to his belt, and a high first round draft pick - he should be finishing higher in your BandF. (Even when playing 18 games for the year). I'm not completely alone on this view by the way. 'Disappointing' Carlton recruit slammed by great
Look, you guys seem to be getting very defensive about Cerra and that's fine. For what it's worth I think he's a very good AFL player. He's no doubt more skilled than Andrew Brayshaw, for example, but for whatever reason he has underperfomed so far. (Next year might be different).

If you go back and read my original post, I haven't come on here to take pot shots at Carlton. I do think they've got some extremely good high end talent on their list.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Brian Cook- Carlton to win at least one flag next 5 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back