Brisbane football ratings: Sat 31 July

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by DST
[Is it any coincidence that all rugby internationals so far this year in Australia have clashed with a big Saturday night game in Sydney? The ARU flushed with money and success over the NRL are now having a go at the AFL.

DST
:D [/B]

ARU money and success over league. Those big union games can't even get better ratings than the standard NRL Friday Night Footy game. Last week the Bulldogs v Panthers game beat the Union Test from Perth in Sydney.

And please don't go with that stupid 'union scheduling games at the same time as Sydney' arguement. Union Tests have been played on a Saturday night ever since the Tri Nations has been played. They are scheduled to comply with NZ and SA needs more than Australias. The last thing they would be worrying about would be Swans games. I mean only 89,000 watched the Swans in Sydney last Saturday night. That is deplorable.

Don't flatter yourselves too much.

Originally posted by Crooked Rain
And an 89,000 average for the whole telecast. :rolleyes: TV execs would be over the moon.

While disappointing, it shouldnt come as a shock to anyone up against a Wallaby test, in Sydney.
Although Brisbane got 155,000 in a similar boat, so in that sence Sydney has let the side down.

Some more sensible scheduling by the AFL and ARU should be able to see Swans games and Wallaby games telecast into Sydney not clash. I mean there are only about 3 wally games that are potential clashes, yet there are about 8 or 9 AFL free sat nights in Sydney when the swans play during the day.
It cant be that hard.

The Swans should be aiming for 200,000 viewers on Sat nights when not up against RU. They have come close a few times, and seem to average around 160K, so while there is still much work to be done, the target is not far off.

Whatever the spin from AFL haters like littled1ck, 89K is not representive of Swans ratings season wide, but merely a wake up call as to the sensitivity of the market.

But, nearly 100K choosing to watch an AFL match over the best either rugby code could offer is a positive spin on things.

Originally posted by mcgarnacle
individuals

sydney
ch7 - rugby: 401,876
ch9 - snow white/deep impact: 304,670
ch 10 - swans vs bears: 86,436

melbourne
ch7 - rugby: 117,846
ch9 - snow white/deep impact: 317,460
ch 10 - bombers vs power: 412,730

brisbane
ch7 - rugby: 263,207
ch9 - sharks vs broncos/deep impact: 162,570
ch 10 - swans vs bears: 155,395

network
ch 7: 32.8%
ch 9: 36%
ch 10: 31.2%

sydney appears to be the final frontier!!!

The most interesting thing about these figures, is that when you aggregate the Sydney figures you get 793,000 and Melbourne you get 848,000:confused:

I wonder why this is ??

Could the reason be that you have got another 300,000 odd watching Pay TV - specifically the NRL??

Originally posted by BuffaloRules
sydney

melbourne

brisbane

Channel 9 in Brisbane should have gone with Snow White!

:D

Originally posted by grayham
Whatever the spin from AFL haters like littled1ck,
As opposed to one-eyed one-code wonders such as yourself? ;)

89K is not representive of Swans ratings season wide, but merely a wake up call as to the sensitivity of the market.
I don't hear the ARU whinging and complaining about a scheduling clash, either this time or last time.

If the AFL has the most to lose, then why don't the AFL allow for some flexibility in their scheduling of Swans games instead of having the entire season locked in by February?

In reality there is no issue here because the Swans are telecast prime time Saturday night for almost 90% of the season (except for Sunday lunchtime games) meaning a clash is inevitable when Wallabies Test Matches are on.

But, nearly 100K choosing to watch an AFL match over the best either rugby code could offer is a positive spin on things.
I'm sure there would have been a large number switching between all the games, including the Test Match, the NRL game on foxsports, and the AFL game. That means there were probably over 100k keeping abreast of Swans scores during the night.

Originally posted by cos789
With the ratings are they still using diaries or do they have the digital set tops .

I thought they get people to perve through the lounge room window and count heads, only half a person if you go to the fridge while the games on.

Originally posted by cos789
They found diaries very inaccurate especially if people were prone to switching channels mid event .
Due to the invention of remote controls and the wide choice of channels available (with payTV included), nobody has ever watched an FTA program from start to finish including ads for nearly a decade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by mcgarnacle
individuals

sydney

melbourne

brisbane

network
ch 7: 32.8%
ch 9: 36%
ch 10: 31.2%

sydney appears to be the final frontier!!!

RU on a test match is always going to be more popular in Brisbane than anything else, but the AFL almost beat the third on the ladder Bronco's. RL heartland SEQ hey Little Duck?

I suspect Brisbane doesn't include GC/SC so how come there is only 790k viewers in Sydney and 570k in Brisbane when Sydney is more than double the size of Brisbane.

Originally posted by Qsaint
RU on a test match is always going to be more popular in Brisbane than anything else, but the AFL almost beat the third on the ladder Bronco's. RL heartland SEQ hey Little Duck?
Not bad when 9 can casually telecast a repeat match of the Broncos and duly outrate the live & exclusive Lions.

I suspect Brisbane doesn't include GC/SC so how come there is only 790k viewers in Sydney and 570k in Brisbane when Sydney is more than double the size of Brisbane.
Good question.

Originally posted by littleduck
Good question.

Yes it is a good question, does anyone know anyone who has had a ratings box or whatever they are called in their home.

My theory is that there is quite a large margin for error in ratings, but untill they find a better way .......... well i guess we are stuck with it.

The footy ratings for Brissy would have been interesting if GC and SunC had been included................. i wonder if the ratings would have stayed relatively the same or swung in favour of a particular code.

Originally posted by nicko18
You're an idiot.
That may well be true, but most idiots would know that Oztam ratings confine themself strictly to the metropolitan capital city since regional areas including the Gold Coast (to the south) and Sunshine Coast (to the north) dont take all of 7 v9 & 10 but rather their regional affiliates. I thought you were joking. Turns out you were being serious?

no littleduck, Brisbane oztam ratings include all the way up to Noosa, and all the way down to Tweed Heads
Hmm. I disagree because it would seem stoopid to add together metropolitan + regional ratings to produce the official metropolitan audience. But I don't pretend I'm right. I'll try to find out.

Hmm. I disagree because it would seem stoopid to add together metropolitan + regional ratings to produce the official metropolitan audience. But I don't pretend I'm right. I'll try to find out.
WIN and 9 90% of the time show the same thing, its mainly the regional news that differs.

WIN and 9 90% of the time show the same thing, its mainly the regional news that differs.
All true, but I still find it difficult to accept that the official metropolitan Brisbane Oztam rating includes regional affiiliates to the north and south.

All true, but I still find it difficult to accept that the official metropolitan Brisbane Oztam rating includes regional affiiliates to the north and south.
Maybe because you've been conned by some stats doctorer? :p. National figures are added up despite different networks broadcasting their own shows in different states, ditto for Brisbane + Gold Coast + Sunshine Coast + Ipswich + Moreton Island + Surfers Paradise + Boonah + Kilcoy etc etc..

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane football ratings: Sat 31 July

Remove this Banner Ad

Back