Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Carlton by a little

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Carlton by a lot

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Ridiculously good individual games from Tom Rockliff and Dayne Zorko.

Rockliff - 39 disposals, 2 goals, 1 goal assist, 5 inside 50s, 5 rebound 50s, 6 clearances, 12 tackles, Champion Data Player Ranking score of 159

Zorko - 29 disposals, 3 goals, 4 goal assists, 12 inside 50s, 2 rebound 50s, 3 clearances, 4 tackles, Champion Data Player Ranking score of 151
Yep they were superb and yet once again it is the lesser name of Mitch Robinson who I'd probably rate as our best. 22 possessions, 13 contested, 3 clearances, 11 tackles, 9 inside 50's, 5 rebound 50's and he took that strong contested mark in the dying stages which arguably saved the match and he had a big influence when the game mattered most in the last 5 minutes in general.

He is a completely different player from the guy everyone remembers at Carlton both on and off the field. The ultimate professional/teammate/family man off field and is one of just two players on our list(Zorko being the other) who has consistently stood up this year week after week. He has become such a handy player consistently racking up big stats in contested possessions and tackles. Wouldn't be surprised if he won back to back BnF's this year with Zorko.

Because they are much younger and the kids like Keays and Matho in the midfield have had nowhere near as many preseasons as Thomas or Simpson.

This isn't a difficult concept to understand.
You're comparing kids to two of Carlton's oldest players?

Yeah that makes sense.

Brisbane lost all structure in the last quarter. That last kickout I highlighted had nothing to do with fatigue.

FMD the excuses from Brisbane fly thick and fast. Even when you win.

You're comparing kids to two of Carlton's oldest players?

Yeah that makes sense.

Brisbane lost all structure in the last quarter. That last kickout I highlighted had nothing to do with fatigue.

FMD the excuses from Brisbane fly thick and fast. Even when you win.

So being fitter doesn't help you run out the game stronger including setting up at kickins? Someone should tell the coaches not to bother doing all that running in preseason then. Waste of time.

I mentioned Daisy and Simpson because they were extremely influential in the last quarter while the Lions had Keays and Mathison out on their feet trying to get a touch in the last.

So being fitter doesn't help you run out the game stronger including setting up at kickins? Someone should tell the coaches not to bother doing all that running in preseason then. Waste of time.
Nice straw-man.

He is a completely different player from the guy everyone remembers at Carlton both on and off the field. The ultimate professional/teammate/family man off field and is one of just two players on our list(Zorko being the other) who has consistently stood up this year week after week. He has become such a handy player consistently racking up big stats in contested possessions and tackles. Wouldn't be surprised if he won back to back BnF's this year with Zorko.

He's matured off the field, but he's really not that different on the field. Just gets more of a consistent run through the midfield in a lesser side than he did at Carlton (where he spent more time up forward than he does now), and has lower quality teammates, so appears to be more prominent. His overall impact and influence on the game isn't significantly greater as a Lion.

He's matured off the field, but he's really not that different on the field. Just gets more of a consistent run through the midfield in a lesser side than he did at Carlton (where he spent more time up forward than he does now), and has lower quality teammates, so appears to be more prominent. His overall impact and influence on the game isn't significantly greater as a Lion.
I strongly disagree. Many non-Lions fans still see Mitch as that aggressive, foot soldier who was capable of playing a role in an AFL side but not much more, however, he has honed his aggression in his time at the Lions, become a contested possession/tackling beast and has the ability to shut down a dangerous opposition midfielder whilst winning the footy himself. He is a much improved player compared to what he was at Carlton.

I strongly disagree. Many non-Lions fans still see Mitch as that aggressive, foot soldier who was capable of playing a role in an AFL side but not much more, however, he has honed his aggression in his time at the Lions, become a contested possession/tackling beast and has the ability to shut down a dangerous opposition midfielder whilst winning the footy himself. He is a much improved player compared to what he was at Carlton.

I really think he's just an example of a good handy player being given a more prominent, regular role in a poorer side. There hasn't really been a significant shift or improvement in his abilities.

Wouldn't be a Brisbane related thread without a certain Saints supporter tossing out burley everywhere.

Bordering on pathological now.

Go Lions!
Wouldn't be a Brisbane related thread without you derailing it by taking personal shots when everyone else is on topic.

I really think he's just an example of a good handy player being given a more prominent, regular role in a poorer side. There hasn't really been a significant shift or improvement in his abilities.

I think there is a higher level of professionalism there following the wake up call of being delisted. He hasn't put a foot wrong off-field since moving here and has emerged as a leader in the group which he is relishing.

He has limitations but he has been very good value thus far. We were fanging for a blunt instrument in our midfield mix and he fits the bill nicely.

I think there is a higher level of professionalism there following the wake up call of being delisted. He hasn't put a foot wrong off-field since moving here and has emerged as a leader in the group which he is relishing.

He has limitations but he has been very good value thus far. We were fanging for a blunt instrument in our midfield mix and he fits the bill nicely.

His disposal is a limitation but his attack on the ball and the man is absolutely top shelf. Good to see him doing well.

Mate, Carlton are 21 games into a 5 year rebuild, not a single Carlton supporter cares about the result, just want to get some experience into the U23 year olds.

Isn't it a 66-game rebuild? Reckon Bolton wanted to give every player a chance this year and there will be a cleanout of older players in the post-season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate, Carlton are 21 games into a 5 year rebuild, not a single Carlton supporter cares about the result, just want to get some experience into the U23 year olds.
Thankfully you don't speak for everyone.

I would have rather the win, it sure beats losing.

The lions were cooked in the last, they gave everything today and still found something extra to hang on when i thought they had nothing left. well done!

carlton dead cat bounce next year- good draft though so +

Ridiculously good individual games from Tom Rockliff and Dayne Zorko.

Rockliff - 39 disposals, 2 goals, 1 goal assist, 5 inside 50s, 5 rebound 50s, 6 clearances, 12 tackles, Champion Data Player Ranking score of 159

Zorko - 29 disposals, 3 goals, 4 goal assists, 12 inside 50s, 2 rebound 50s, 3 clearances, 4 tackles, Champion Data Player Ranking score of 151

They are both very good players. Both are always instrumental in our wins. They're guns.

Michael Close was very impressive today in only his second senior game since returning from that dreadful ACL. 3 contested marks, 4 goals and 5 tackles.

Our list of young tall's looks very impressive. Need another KPD and young ruckman. But it's certainly a spine with some very good potential.

KPD's: Andrews, McStay, Hammer.
KPF's: Schache, Hipwood, Close, Freeman.
Rucks: Archie Smith

They are both very good players. Both are always instrumental in our wins. They're guns.

Michael Close was very impressive today in only his second senior game since returning from that dreadful ACL. 3 contested marks, 4 goals and 5 tackles.

Our list of young tall's looks very impressive. Need another KPD and young ruckman. But it's certainly a spine with some very good potential.

KPD's: Andrews, McStay, Hammer.
KPF's: Schache, Hipwood, Close, Freeman.
Rucks: Archie Smith

Fancy a package of Jarrod Witts, and native Queenslanders Lachlan Keeffe and Josh Thomas, in exchange for a 2nd/3rd round draft pick or two? Would at the very least add to your depth in the ruck and key back areas, along with providing you with another inside mid to balance out that area of the ground a bit more too.

Fancy a package of Jarrod Witts, and native Queenslanders Lachlan Keeffe and Josh Thomas, in exchange for a 2nd/3rd round draft pick or two? Would at the very least add to your depth in the ruck and key back areas, along with providing you with another inside mid to balance out that area of the ground a bit more too.

I like Witts for us but I don't think we can justify 3 list spots on Collingwood discards.

We have 3 picks in the first 2 rounds, plus academy players (Allison, Rolls, Watson) after that, plus a rookie upgrade for Archie Smith.

Keefe might be a rookie option for us.

I'd be interested in Witts. Can't say I hold a lot of interest in Keeffe and Thomas though.

Happy enough with Archie Smith learning from Stef Martin and taking he's place in a year Witts has never interested me heard GWS are looking at him anyway

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane Lions v Carlton - Rd 21, 2016 - 1:45 @ The Gabba

Back