Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 22 - Lions v GWS Sat Aug 10th 1:45pm AEST (Gabba)

Who will win and by how much?

• Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GWS by a goal or less

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 24 63.2%
  • GWS by 7 - 20

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • GWs by a lot

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Could have..should have…would have..may have…but in the end Giants won away in a ground they lost 4 consecutive games in against the Premiership favourites who were on a 9 consecutive game winning streak
I mean you're absolutely right, who cares how a team wins. Still sucks to be the better team on the day and walk away with a loss.

Very disappointing to drop that game.

The season is anyone’s to win at this point. No one team is dominant or that strong either.

Did they win?
Yes they did.
With a ton of help from the opposition’s deplorable innaccuarcy.

They’re not going to get that luxury in every final they play.

Even GC, Melbourne and Richmond of all teams had more scoring shots than the accurate GWS.

Relying on accuracy and/or the oppo’s inaccuracy to win finals is unsustainable.

Enjoy your strong performance.
Well see, it's not possible to enjoy a good performance if you ultimately lose.

Kinda the core issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't understand the bookmaker odds.

Brisbane odds on favorite, Bulldogs getting all the love. Port literallky destroyed Sydney and being ignored.

Brisbane beat Bulldogs at Marvel by 43 and Port by 79 at Adelaide Oval during the run of wins though.

But I agree, I thought Lions being favourites was optimistic.

+6 inside 50's
+16 hitouts
+2 clearances
+17 contested possessions
-13 turnovers
+26 marks
24 scoring shots to 17

Not every day you lose when dominated the majority of the game, incredibly deflating.

Sides that can be dominant at the coalface but are poor at goal kicking are more prone to doing it. My team, your team, the dees last year, Port on occasion.

I’ve been consistent in my criticism of the bulldogs that there isn’t enough focus on goal kicking. It costs games, and while it can be comforting to look at broader stats to validate the performance, bottom line is if you kick 8.16 (or similar) against a good team that’s not good enough.

It’s not random either imo. WC, despite being shitty for a while, have been pretty good at goalkicking for years now. GWS are decent, Geelong are typically OK too. It’ll be interesting to see in such a close/weird season how many finals are decided by it.

Well see, it's not possible to enjoy a good performance if you ultimately lose.

Kinda the core issue.
Angry Season 4 GIF by The Simpsons

+6 inside 50's
+16 hitouts
+2 clearances
+17 contested possessions
-13 turnovers
+26 marks
24 scoring shots to 17

Not every day you lose when dominated the majority of the game, incredibly deflating.

Issue is this how we were losing all our games at the start of the year. In the end, bad kicking is bad football as they say.

30 point deficit was wiped 3 minutes into the 2nd quarter. Wasn't exactly some kind of epic comeback.

Giants played some amazing patches of football but we had their measure all day but couldn't finish some of the easiest set shots.
Bad kicking is bad football. You deserved to lose.

I don't understand the bookmaker odds.

Brisbane odds on favorite, Bulldogs getting all the love. Port literallky destroyed Sydney and being ignored.

Ken in finals is not the same as Ken in home and away

Is this where we point out Brisbane has less wins v top 8 sides than Hawthorn.
Smashed your mob on your patch though.

Credit to the Giants, thought they were well deserving today. We probably did have numerous chances to ice the game at certain stages but also thought they played some excellent football after quarter time. Both games this season their mix of smalls with Daniels, Bedford and Jones have caused us huge problems. Not a catastrophic performance from us, fine margins between being a comfortable win and a loss, winning our last 2 may still get us top 2 but we'll see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 22 - Lions v GWS Sat Aug 10th 1:45pm AEST (Gabba)

Back