Traded Bryce Gibbs [traded to Adelaide] - (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Like I said from the start of the year this was a massive lose-lose situation.

Adelaide has shown weaknesses without another offensive midfielder.

Carltom... Well even tho Gibbs has had a good year not sure what Carlton fans are happy about. Still the probable wooden spooner even with him in the side, and is almost guaranteed to get even less than last year... This is why you don't get overly greedy at the trade table Carlton.

Im sure old Bryce is wrapped Carlton knocked back his chance to return home to his family. Now he is going to win another wooden spoon insted off potentially winning a premiership

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Im sure old Bryce is wrapped Carlton knocked back his chance to return home to his family. Now he is going to win another wooden spoon insted off potentially winning a premiership
If Gibbs was so concerned about winning a flag he probably shouldn't have signed a 5 year deal at Carlton to be honest.

If Gibbs was so concerned about winning a flag he probably shouldn't have signed a 5 year deal at Carlton to be honest.
Does he plan on playing out his days in the vfl?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Congratulations. Most balanced review of Gibbs I have seen from an Adelaide fan :thumbsu:
Gibbs is not perfect but he is a very good player. I really hope he stays at CFC.
But if he has to go home, then it would be nice if a fair deal could eventuate that would serve both clubs.

You like this post because it underates our midfield just like most Carlton supporters who have very little idea. In any case, very few Crows supporters have suggested that Gibbs isn't worth getting. It's purely about cost and azza77 mentioned Gibbs replacing an out of form Atkins or upgrading on our basketballer. The question is what price do you pay for that upgrade? And it's worth remembering that there were a number of Adelaide posters who thought that our midfield would be a major weakness this year and would result in us not being able to improve from 6th. Unsure if Azza was one of those, but there were many who were very completly incorrect in their view. I'd have Gibbs in a heartbeat, but not at 2 late firsts. And sadly, he wouldn't be replacing Mackay, it'd be a more inside midfielder as opposed to a pure outside runner and the we're back to questioning how much do you pay to upgrade a player like Greenwood? And the answer is not 2 firsts and I doubt that Azza is suggesting that is what he would pay.

I reckon you just lose the extra picks and that might settle it

McGovern to Pies
Gibbs to Adelaide
Pick 7 to Carlton.

Edit: If they win the flag this year, can't see them making a play for Gibbs...

Works for us and you, but pick 7 seems a fair bit for McGovern. I think he'll end up being a Fyfe type midfielder, less of an accumulator but much better disposal, brilliant off the left and much better overhead and he'll be worthy of that pick, but I can't see us getting it at this stage.

Nah I do think we still need Gibbs to add to our ranks.

Not only will he take a tonne of pressure off of Sloane, which will hopefully help him perform every game rather than just some, but imagine replacing a Mackay, or an out of form Atkins/Douglas with Gibbs. Are we also really going to pin our midfield resurgence on a former basketballer and injury prone junior? That's a very fine line to walk and could seriously bite us in the ass if we aren't careful.

Instantly makes our midfield unit a whole heap better. Our midfield is operating well at the moment yes, but it could still be better, a lot better. Gibbs makes it better.

He's a goal threat, he's a brilliant kick, good tackler, smart footballer and can take a strong contested mark. He's doesn't rely on his athleticism to be an A grade player, and has proven to be quite durable, another bonus people tend to overlook when discussing his age. He can even float across HBF like Boyd in his later years if we really need.

Gibbs is certainly worth chasing again, as he is a class player and brings a lot to our team over various aspects.

Yes Rockliff might come for free, but imo I don't think he's worth adding to our ranks. He doesn't provide us with an edge that we don't already have and isn't as versatile as Gibbs.

Very balanced poste, Gibbs would be perfect for Adelaide's midfield, capable of kicking bags of goals and kicking inside 50 is top shelf, would absolutely tear games apart.
With Lever McGovern and Cameron all a chance of leaving, draft picks are going to be the least of Crows concerns, with that much potential currency in play, there a faily good chance of a deal getting done.
I rate Gibbs very highly and worry about our young midfield without him, so I can't see SOS letting him go for a pick in the late teens, it's going to take substantially more then that.

I think we look for a midfielder to be part of the Lever trade - Dom Tyson, Steele Sidebottom, etc - and we get Rockliff.

Seems silly to overpay for three years of Gibbs, when he'll just be an incremental improvement. We can improve our side for a premiership push, and restock with draft picks for the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's interesting - you'd never get a first round pick and Jake Kelly from us now.

Reckon he stays now.

Adelaide probably lose interest with Crouch and greenwood elevating their games. Even Douglas is back into decent form.

Other part is can they afford him salary wise? Isn't the cap already tight and they probsbly have had to increase their offers to McGovern and lever to keep them if the rumours are true that they've signed...surely no money left for Gibbs.

This trade ain't gonna happen.
HE IS CONTRACTED. Why would Carlton let him go for anything under overs. I wouldn't
The only way this goes down is if Carlton want to recruit a Hopper type player from GWS but don't want to part with pick 1-3. Then Adelaide fans will retaliate with the feeling of you have money to pay for Gibbs surely you could have matched Lever/McGovern deals. Let him finish a one club player and Adelaide look at actually keeping players rather then trying to poach contracted ones

Is this thread still going......my goodness Adelaide fans are delusional.
Most Adelaide fans don't believe a deal will be done for Gibbs.

How is that delusional?

Surely this ship has sailed. Gibbs seems settled and has played arguably his best season in 2017, not to mention is still contracted for another 2 full seasons.

Maybe Adelaide can try recruit him as a Free Agent in 48 months time.

Unless, of course Port enter the race and decide they have use for him.

The thing with Gibbs is his age, he's likely to start regressing from next season on.

He turns 29 in March next year.

I highly doubt he 'regresses' next year. He's not exactly reliant on pace, doesnt play an inside role, and has been incredibly resilient over the journey. No soft tissue injuries to speak of. Missed a few games years back with a shoulder injury (impact) but that's it.

I'd be pretty shocked if he wasnt playing well into his 30's.

He turns 29 in March next year.

I highly doubt he 'regresses' next year. He's not exactly reliant on pace, doesnt play an inside role, and has been incredibly resilient over the journey. No soft tissue injuries to speak of. Missed a few games years back with a shoulder injury (impact) but that's it.

I'd be pretty shocked if he wasnt playing well into his 30's.
At Carlton.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Bryce Gibbs [traded to Adelaide] - (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back