Traded Bryce Gibbs [traded to Adelaide] - (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton in 2017

Won only 6 games. Beat injury hit Swans, GWS and Hawks. Also beat Pies, Dons and GCS. Lost 2 games by < 10 points.

Carlton in 2016

Won only 7 games. Beat 6 bottom 8 Clubs and Prelim finalist in Cats. Lost 4 games by < 10 points.

Definitely rate their 2016 season better than in 2017.

In any case the decision to keep Gibbs can only be assessed when they make the finals in 4-5 years time and whether the draft picks on offer to them would have been more fruitful than keeping a player that wont be playing for them in the finals.
What you should be looking at is Carlton with Gibbs vs Carlton without Gibbs not how many wins or losses we have had compared to last season.

Without him we win maybe 2-3 games, all those young kids who have won rising star nominations don't get the opportunity to stand up in big wins because we are too far out of the contest to begin with. We end up with a side like melbourne, all the kids look to bail asap and we start another rebuild in 3 years time.

Would have been a terrible decision to move him on for a pick in the 20's and 60's, still is now unless it gets us a Kelly back in the other way.

What you should be looking at is Carlton with Gibbs vs Carlton without Gibbs not how many wins or losses we have had compared to last season.

Without him we win maybe 2-3 games, all those young kids who have won rising star nominations don't get the opportunity to stand up in big wins because we are too far out of the contest to begin with. We end up with a side like melbourne, all the kids look to bail asap and we start another rebuild in 3 years time.

Would have been a terrible decision to move him on for a pick in the 20's and 60's, still is now unless it gets us a Kelly back in the other way.

Crows offered the Blues a first and second rounder. Probably would have thrown in Lyons in the deal as well and he has played well for the Suns this year.

Genuinely believe you guys and us too stuffed up the negotiations. More so Carlton though.

Crows are on top of the ladder after 22 rounds. Im confident we will play in the GF this year. If we win the flag this year, I will be so glad we didnt trade for Gibbs. Not sure Carlton can say the same when you play finals in 5 years time. Time will tell I guess.

Crows offered the Blues a first and second rounder. Probably would have thrown in Lyons in the deal as well and he has played well for the Suns this year.

Genuinely believe you guys and us too stuffed up the negotiations. More so Carlton though.

Crows are on top of the ladder after 22 rounds. Im confident we will play in the GF this year. If we win the flag this year, I will be so glad we didnt trade for Gibbs. Not sure Carlton can say the same when you play finals in 5 years time. Time will tell I guess.
Adelaide never offered a 1st plus 2nd rounder, it was pick 20 and pick 50+ or pick 20 and lyons.

We did exactly what we should have done which was to reject that terrible offer that gave us no immediate cover to remain competitive, you don't pick up a kelly or a cripps or a bont with a pick 20, you get yourself a blaine boekhurst.

You can't beat geelong or sydney, one of those 2 will beat you in the prelim and your season will be done, it will be a GWS vs Sydney grand final.

Adelaide never offered a 1st plus 2nd rounder, it was pick 20 and pick 50+ or pick 20 and lyons.

We did exactly what we should have done which was to reject that terrible offer that gave us no immediate cover to remain competitive, you don't pick up a kelly or a cripps or a bont with a pick 20, you get yourself a blaine boekhurst.

You can't beat geelong or sydney, one of those 2 will beat you in the prelim and your season will be done, it will be a GWS vs Sydney grand final.

Where did you get pick 20 from? Last year our 1st pick was 13, then 43 after that.

No, bad recruiting gets you a Boekhurst at pick 20, good recruiting gets you a Nat Fyfe at around that mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would have thought Adelaide supporters were busy worrying about their finals campaign then whether they will try and trade Gibbs again. Bizarre.......
Unlike yourself, we can do more than 1 thing at the same time. ;)

For the record I'm not at all worried about trading for Gibbs.

Unlike yourself, we can do more than 1 thing at the same time. ;)

For the record I'm not at all worried about trading for Gibbs.

lol :p

I was just about to post this exact same comment.

Maybe if Carlton supporters focused more on what happens throughout the year and not just in October, they would place pressure on their Club to achieve more.

Im sorry but to have recorded less wins and less close losses in 2017 compared to 2016 they have regressed as a football club.

You don't even football.

We've won more 1/4's of football than last season. So that's progression.

In 2017 you won ONLY 34 quarters of football with 1 game to go against Sydney at home.

In 2016*, you just 29 quarters of football.

You improved your year by just 5 quarters:cool:. If thats how the CFC records progression, that may explain a lot. :drunk:

*I guess whats a bit scary about those stats is that you played an Essendon side decimated with suspensions in 2016 due to the drugs saga. Just scanning briefly over your Essendon games in 2016 you won 4 quarters of footy against them in 2016 out of 8. Removing the Essendon game, you improved your 1/4's won for the year by just 1.

You don't even football.:rolleyes:

The Crows beat Sydney last season and beat Geelong this season.

When making a point, it's good to get your facts straight beforehand.

Carlton have regressed this year compared to last. ie Less wins in 2017 compared to 2016.

You've just confused W-L ratio for performance here. With just the ONE less win for the season Carlton actually been far more competitive and either in front, or well in the game, more often than they were last season. And they've done this while giving greater numbers of young players, who'll be around for years to come, a significant taste of senior level football. In terms of building a strong list and team, this is most definitely progress, not regression.

And as a senior player and leader, Gibbs has played a significant role in helping the young guys integrate to senior level and the team putting up seriously competitive efforts. And this is why Carlton wanted to keep him. It was just too early in this team's evolution to let go of a player who can contribute what Gibbs' has.

In 2017 you won ONLY 34 quarters of football with 1 game to go against Sydney at home.

In 2016*, you just 29 quarters of football.

You improved your year by just 5 quarters:cool:. If thats how the CFC records progression, that may explain a lot. :drunk:

*I guess whats a bit scary about those stats is that you played an Essendon side decimated with suspensions in 2016 due to the drugs saga. Just scanning briefly over your Essendon games in 2016 you won 4 quarters of footy against them in 2016 out of 8. Removing the Essendon game, you improved your 1/4's won for the year by just 1.

You don't even football.:rolleyes:

Not sure how removing the 2016 Essendon games results in an increase of 1, think you've got your numbers mixed up

I would have thought Adelaide supporters were busy worrying about their finals campaign then whether they will try and trade Gibbs again. Bizarre.......

You're not going to believe this but once I saw someone rubbing their stomach and patting their head at the same time. I thought surely not, how the hell are they doing 2 things at the same time:straining:

So all Adelaide supporters can do is just think about finals???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure how removing the 2016 Essendon games results in an increase of 1, think you've got your numbers mixed up
No I haven't take a look at the Eseendon games against you in 2016. You won four quarters against them in 2016.

Now let that just sink in now that your Club has regressed in 2017.

Not sure the victory against injury hit aging Hawthorn side late in the season is one to be counting either. But I digress.

You're not going to believe this but once I saw someone rubbing their stomach and patting their head at the same time. I thought surely not, how the hell are they doing 2 things at the same time:straining:

So all Adelaide supporters can do is just think about finals???
At least it's nice to have that option... Unlike poor Gibbs what could have been. ;)

Where did you get pick 20 from? Last year our 1st pick was 13, then 43 after that.

No, bad recruiting gets you a Boekhurst at pick 20, good recruiting gets you a Nat Fyfe at around that mark.

You must have missed the academy bumps, you didn't end up with pick 13 on draft day. Later first round picks are worthless because of the half dozen academy selections bumping everyone down the list.

1 in 30 isn't a good strike rate to get something worthwhile either, certainly not going to replace a gibbs with a pick 20 97% of the time.

What's the word on the street bluebaggers...Bryce still looking to come home?
I've purposely kept away from this thread...can't believe it's been going all year wow!

lol :p

I was just about to post this exact same comment.

Maybe if Carlton supporters focused more on what happens throughout the year and not just in October, they would place pressure on their Club to achieve more.

Im sorry but to have recorded less wins and less close losses in 2017 compared to 2016 they have regressed as a football club.
We have lost 6 games by under 20 points both last year and this year except we have had 6 rising star nominations and a dozen debutantes this year which we didn't have last year.

So basically we have remained at the same level while phasing out some of the older players and bringing in kids to replace them and that is regression to you?

Maybe you should look up the meaning of the word in a dictionary and rethink your opinion, because it is wrong.

You must have missed the academy bumps, you didn't end up with pick 13 on draft day. Later first round picks are worthless because of the half dozen academy selections bumping everyone down the list.

1 in 30 isn't a good strike rate to get something worthwhile either, certainly not going to replace a gibbs with a pick 20 97% of the time.

Academy bumps made it pick 15, get over it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Bryce Gibbs [traded to Adelaide] - (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back