murphy2bedabest

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2003
On the final table-ALL IN
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Man U and Melbourne Storm
We will be playing the Hawks in the first week of the Finals, a side who i think we can beat, and the reason why i think we will be playing off in the Grand Final.

The last few weeks have just been a small bump in the road.

If we do beat the Hawks in week 1, we will have the week off and should be playing some one like Sydney, Collingwood, St Kilda who ever who we can beat, any way on to the Hawks game.

Who do people think will be our best 22 by then?

what match ups do we need to work on?

FB Morris Lake Hargrave
HB Gilbee Williams ?
C Ray Griffen Boyd
HF Hahn Murphy Aker
FF Welsh Minson Johnon
RUCK Hudson Cooney Cross
INTER West Gia Higgins ?

there is the thread about Hill or Harbrow, but who do we go for out of Callan Everitt or Wight? Maybe even Tiller?

Will West and Higgins get up? could they be the X Factors come finals time?

whats the news on Addison?

Now for match ups Buddy? Williams will get him and i cant wait to see the match up.

Roughead, Lake should go to him

Who dose Morris take? Williams? or maybe even a job on Hodge? or will Boyd get Hodge?

This should be a great game, and something we would be working on now. and we should build this game up now lets look at the Big Picture.

In the Build up lets use this Thread to talk about this game, and how we think we should go.

Since when did the afl reduce the season to 17 rounds. Lets actually secure 2nd or 3rd spot before we talk about it. The way we have been traveling lately we might end up finishing 4th. So don't get ahead of yourself just yet!:thumbsu:

We will be playing the Hawks in the first week of the Finals, a side who i think we can beat, and the reason why i think we will be playing off in the Grand Final.

If we do beat the Hawks in week 1, we will have the week off and should be playing some one like Sydney, Collingwood, St Kilda who ever who we can beat, any way on to the Hawks game.

FB Morris Lake Hargrave
HB Gilbee Williams ?
C Ray Griffen Boyd
HF Hahn Murphy Aker
FF Welsh Minson Johnon
RUCK Hudson Cooney Cross
INTER West Gia Higgins ?

there is the thread about Hill or Harbrow, but who do we go for out of Callan Everitt or Wight? Maybe even Tiller?

Now for match ups Buddy? Williams will get him and i cant wait to see the match up.

Who dose Morris take? Williams? or maybe even a job on Hodge? or will Boyd get Hodge?

This should be a great game, and something we would be working on now. and we should build this game up now lets look at the Big Picture.

In the Build up lets use this Thread to talk about this game, and how we think we should go.

In regards to your question marks, I'd probably go for Callan on the HBF and Hill on the bench. I'd prefer Everitt at his best either of them, but his form is a bit off.

Was Eagleton a deliberate omission? I'd have him ahead of Higgins this year for the finals, for experience and fitness reasons.

You'd bring Shaggy onto the flank and drop Callan into the pocket. Eagelton would be on the bench to make up the four.

Westy will be there...Higgins will probably get a run soon in the seniors if there is an injury but he would have to play well whilst in the RWB to warrant keeping him.

Morris to Franklin. Franklin is a lead up player and thats where Morris wears them like a glove. Williams to Roughead. Callan to Williams. Let Lake float and help Morris and Williams. Tag Mitchell or Bateman if they start getting on top with Boyd.

After witnessing the Dogs v Hawks game at York Park, I am very confident we can account for them in the finals.

In regards to your question marks, I'd probably go for Callan on the HBF and Hill on the bench. I'd prefer Everitt at his best either of them, but his form is a bit off.

Was Eagleton a deliberate omission? I'd have him ahead of Higgins this year for the finals, for experience and fitness reasons.

i knew i did forget a few and yes i would have Eagleton in there

Since when did the afl reduce the season to 17 rounds. Lets actually secure 2nd or 3rd spot before we talk about it. The way we have been traveling lately we might end up finishing 4th. So don't get ahead of yourself just yet!:thumbsu:
It's even possible, but hopefully unlikely that if any one of North, Collingwood, Adelaide, Brisbane or StKilda were to win all of their five remaining games and we were to lose all five remaining games, then we would drop out of the top four.
We have three interstate games plus bogey side North and another tough one in Essendon to play and given our present form, I am extremely worried

I wouldn't worry too much about our recent form.

The coaching staff took a decision with 'games in the bank' to really load up on fitness training, which they have done since the break.

Players lose their fitness over the course of the season & going into the finals, it was deemed best if the players fitness levels were increased.

The result is of course 'tiredness' during games as we have seen since the break.

If we beat Sydney, then we are assured of a top 3 finish, so the last 4 weeks of the season are in effect, akin to the NAB Cup, where it's all about preparing for round 1.

There's certainly no feeling of panic or comparasins drawn with last season's fade out. Different circumstances where last year we lost some midfielders & those who struggled pre season with injuries meant we lost our run.

The coaching staff took a decision with 'games in the bank' to really load up on fitness training, which they have done since the break.

Players lose their fitness over the course of the season & going into the finals, it was deemed best if the players fitness levels were increased.

The result is of course 'tiredness' during games as we have seen since the break.

If we beat Sydney, then we are assured of a top 3 finish, so the last 4 weeks of the season are in effect, akin to the NAB Cup, where it's all about preparing for round 1.

There's certainly no feeling of panic or comparasins drawn with last season's fade out. Different circumstances where last year we lost some midfielders & those who struggled pre season with injuries meant we lost our run.

This sounds like an informed post TCD;)

Good enough for me :)

From what I saw in the Carlton game I don't think I seen one player with cramp. Therefore its safe to assume whilst the extra training may cause some fatigue. Some players mentally use it as an excuse to cruise a bit. Mentally I have doubts about some players in there ability to push when the chips are down. I hope they prove me wrong. But extra training is the worst excuse I think I have ever heard.

Mentally weak lets hope not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We may not be playing the Hawks in week one of finals so lets just leave it at that until we actually play finals.

I thought the whole concept of this board was to discuss matters regarding our football club? Do you really believe if we talk about it here or don't talk about it here, it's going to make any difference whatsoever?

I know this is thinking way too far ahead but would it be better to finish fourth rather than third? The way Geelong is going if we finish fourth I don't think we would play Geelong in prelim final week if we make it that far (although would play them in week 1). If we finish second or third and lose in week 1 we would likely be playing off for a clash with Geelong in prelim final week. Is that the way the finals system works now?

Not very positive thinking I know

Excellent to see this from you TCD.

I know as a fanbase we take pessimism to a new level, and probably with good reason. However, it would take an absolute collapse to fall from 2/3, let alone out of the top 4. Same goes with the Hawks. Nothing wrong with having a wonder of the predictions of we think will happen.

Even the most pessimistic couldn't think we'd lose our last 7 after the year we've had. And lets not mention last year when our injury list was a mile long.

I know this is thinking way too far ahead but would it be better to finish fourth rather than third? The way Geelong is going if we finish fourth I don't think we would play Geelong in prelim final week if we make it that far (although would play them in week 1). If we finish second or third and lose in week 1 we would likely be playing off for a clash with Geelong in prelim final week. Is that the way the finals system works now?

Not very positive thinking I know

I understand where you're coming from, but to me it has 'recipe for disaster' written all over it.

I'm confused about the finals system.:confused: If all results go according to end of year ladder position during the finals, what happens? if we finish 2nd, and win our first final, would we play whoever finishes first, (let's say, just for argument's sake, Geelong!) in the prelim, or do we not play them until the GF.
and do we retain the home state advantage if we did (gulp) lose in the first week and were due to play an interstate winner in week 2 of the finals?

FB Morris Lake Hargrave
HB Gilbee Williams ?
C Ray Griffen Boyd
HF Hahn Murphy Aker
FF Welsh Minson Johnon
RUCK Hudson Cooney Cross
INTER West Gia Higgins ?

I will be waiting until September 1st,thanks.

I'm confused about the finals system.:confused: If all results go according to end of year ladder position during the finals, what happens? if we finish 2nd, and win our first final, would we play whoever finishes first, (let's say, just for argument's sake, Geelong!) in the prelim, or do we not play them until the GF.
and do we retain the home state advantage if we did (gulp) lose in the first week and were due to play an interstate winner in week 2 of the finals?

If we won the first final and Geelong lost theirs, but won the next week, we meet them in the PF. I think.

1st v 4th = qf1
2nd v 3rd = qf2
5th v 8th = ef1
6th v 7th = ef2

loser of qf1 plays winner of ef1 or 2(not 100% sure) = sf1
loser of qf2 plays winnder of (see above) = sf2

winner of qf1 plays winner of sf2
winner of qf2 playes winner of sf1

winners play in gf. Something like that

Always a hard one, but I'll see how I go:

Week 1
1v4
2v3
----
5v8
6v7

The winners of 1v4 & 2v3 go through to the Prelim Final.

The losers of 5v8 & 6v7 are eliminated.

Week 2
Losers of 1v4 & 2v3 play the winners of 5v8 & 6v7 (if sides from different states, the home team is/are the losers of 1v4 & 2v3).

Week 3
Winners meet in the Prelim Finals against the winners of 1v4 & 2v3.

Week 4
If you need this explained you're going bad!

1st v 4th = qf1
2nd v 3rd = qf2
5th v 8th = ef1
6th v 7th = ef2

loser of qf1 plays winner of ef1 or 2(not 100% sure) = sf1
loser of qf2 plays winnder of (see above) = sf2

winner of qf1 plays winner of sf2
winner of qf2 playes winner of sf1

winners play in gf. Something like that
My head hurts.

Always a hard one, but I'll see how I go:

Week 1
1v4
2v3
----
5v8
6v7

The winners of 1v4 & 2v3 go through to the Prelim Final.

The losers of 5v8 & 6v7 are eliminated.

Week 2
Losers of 1v4 & 2v3 play the winners of 5v8 & 6v7 (if sides from different states, the home team is/are the losers of 1v4 & 2v3).

Week 3
Winners meet in the Prelim Finals against the winners of 1v4 & 2v3.

Week 4
If you need this explained you're going bad!
Thanks Coon Dog (I think...)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back