Play Nice Bye Bye Brad #3 [Locked: BS signs 2-year ext. Aug-2017, tied to NM until end 2020]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You seem to have missed my point. While there has been some reasonable players draft in the National draft almost none have been contested style midfielders apart from Dumont.

The game these days is played as a 70 odd metre moving zone around the ball which requires quite a few contested style inside ball winners to extract the ball and clear the zone. Thats something the club has not drafted in the last 7/8 years. We rely too heavily on Ziebell and Cunnington and get smashed in the middle almost on a weekly basis.

The club has drafted too heavily in key position players and small defenders and forwards. If you lose the arm wrestle in the middle then you'll lose your scoring power thus losing the game.

I sense that you are reading from the right book, but you are on the wrong page.

If we did not invest in Neilsen, Durdin, McKay & Larkey, then where would we be in 2 years time with no Thompson, and with 30 year olds, Tarrant & Hansen?

Up Shit Creek is where we would be my friend.

The midfield stocks have been radically altered in the short term with the retirements of Harvey & Dal Santo, and by also sacrificing Swallows game. This is not trivial. This adds up to 8 club best & fairests and a triple AA midfielder.

HOWEVER, replacing these players is a MUCH better short term solution, rather than taking the alternative route and finding ourselves in Richmonds position of being 2-3 KPP's short.

Watch this weekends game with no Cunnington in the side maybe Ziebell too. I bet we get smashed in the contest all because the we have no one else to go through there.

Why do you think we are going after Kelly & Martin?

Last edited:
You seem to have missed my point. While there has been some reasonable players draft in the National draft almost none have been contested style midfielders apart from Dumont.

The game these days is played as a 70 odd metre moving zone around the ball which requires quite a few contested style inside ball winners to extract the ball and clear the zone. Thats something the club has not drafted in the last 7/8 years. We rely too heavily on Ziebell and Cunnington and get smashed in the middle almost on a weekly basis.

The club has drafted too heavily in key position players and small defenders and forwards. If you lose the arm wrestle in the middle then you'll lose your scoring power thus losing the game.

Watch this weekends game with no Cunnington in the side maybe Ziebell too. I bet we get smashed in the contest all because the we have no one else to go through there.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

True, but finding KPPs/small def and fwds is harder than mids. You can usually acquire mids pretty readily via draft or trade. I do think its sound to sure up the key posts.

I sense that you are reading from the right book, but you are on the wrong page.

If we did not invest in Neilsen, Durdin, McKay & Larkey, then where would we be in 2 years time with no Thompson, and with 30 year olds, Tarrant & Hansen?

Up Shit Creek is where we would be my friend.

The midfield stocks have been radically altered in the short term with the retirements of Harvey & Dal Santo, and by also sacrificing Swallows game. This is not trivial. This adds up to 8 club best & fairests and a triple AA midfielder.

HOWEVER, replacing these players is a MUCH better short term solution, rather than taking the alternative route and finding ourselves in Richmonds position of being 2-3 KPP's short.

Why do you think we are going after Kelly & Martin?

For starters we're already up shit creek and the club knew that those mids weren't going to go on forever. The club hasn't prepared properly in previous drafts and drafted players for the gamestyle teams play these days.

If you read my previous posts on this subject I've already said I hope the club can pick up some inside mids in free agency otherwise we're screwed for a few years at least. Whats the clubs back up plan if they don't come, go to the draft....great, that means a few more years in the bottom half. Effectively the club drafted so many key talls because they realise a few of them may not be in our future plans.

Hansen has never been the answer down back or forward and Swallow couldn't hit a barn from 30 out.

I bet we go well this weekend with Cunners out...why because we have no inside mid depth. If anything it proves my point that the club has drafted poorly in that area with the club going after Martin and Kelly.

For starters we're already up shit creek and the club knew that those mids weren't going to go on forever. The club hasn't prepared properly in previous drafts and drafted players for the gamestyle teams play these days.

If you read my previous posts on this subject I've already said I hope the club can pick up some inside mids in free agency otherwise we're screwed for a few years at least. Whats the clubs back up plan if they don't come, go to the draft....great, that means a few more years in the bottom half. Effectively the club drafted so many key talls because they realise a few of them may not be in our future plans.

Hansen has never been the answer down back or forward and Swallow couldn't hit a barn from 30 out.

I bet we go well this weekend with Cunners out...why because we have no inside mid depth.

There are only 44 players on the list, we have a salary cap, and we compete with 17 other clubs for the draft and trade pools of talent.

Your expectations are unrealistic.

The team currently sitting in 3rd position has two elite midfielders.

I repeat two.

Place two elite midfielders in our team and your concerns will immediately vanish.

There are only 44 players on the list, we have a salary cap, and we compete with 17 other clubs for the draft and trade pools of talent.

Your expectations are unrealistic.

The team currently sitting in 3rd position has two elite midfielders.

I repeat two.

Place two elite midfielders in our team and your concerns will immediately vanish.
Yes but how many inside mids can they can roll through there, maybe twice as many as us. Besides you put Dangerwood in any team and the midfields going to be strong. These 2 are probably in the top 3 best mids of the last 10 years.

While Kelly and Martin would be great gets the club needs to trade some dead wood away. We then need to pick up some value for money talent in FA to fill some holes in the list.

Yes but how many inside mids can they can roll through there, maybe twice as many as us. Besides you put Dangerwood in any team and the midfields going to be strong. These 2 are probably in the top 3 best mids of the last 10 years.

Not if they want to win any games!

While Kelly and Martin would be great gets the club needs to trade some dead wood away. We then need to pick up some value for money talent in FA to fill some holes in the list.

You weren't happy with 10 blokes being delisted/traded out?

You would have put a line though 15 or 20 in one go?

**** me, it is a truly astonishing situation that a list so chock full of shit managed to play in two preliminary finals and then be on top of the ladder half way through last season.

Brad Scott must be a freakin' genius.

Not if they want to win any games!

You weren't happy with 10 blokes being delisted/traded out?

You would have put a line though 15 or 20 in one go?

**** me, it is a truly astonishing situation that a list so chock full of shit managed to play in two preliminary finals and then be on top of the ladder half way through last season.

Brad Scott must be a freakin' genius.

Wtf are you on about? Are you on drugs? What I wasn't happy with was that the club told Boomer to retire even after he was still in the peak of his powers. The other 3 were gone. Boomer should've been playing forward this year and for that matter the last 5 years so we could get games into the like of Dumont and other mids. Instead they pulled the chain on Boomer too early. Bad list management. FYI I would turn over another 10 guys on that list this year and go out and buy some guys who have got some upside.

Brad Scott is so much of a genuis that he got us in 2 prelims in 8 years with the oldest list in the comp, no top 4 finishes at the end of the regular season ever and since going 9-0 with an easy draw to 7-20 losses with no midfield depth. What does that tell you? What a ******* genius coach he is.

Wtf are you on about? Are you on drugs? What I wasn't happy with was that the club told Boomer to retire even after he was still in the peak of his powers. The other 3 were gone. Boomer should've been playing forward this year and for that matter the last 5 years so we could get games into the like of Dumont and other mids. Instead they pulled the chain on Boomer too early. Bad list management. FYI I would turn over another 10 guys on that list this year and go out and buy some guys who have got some upside.

Brad Scott is so much of a genuis that he got us in 2 prelims in 8 years with the oldest list in the comp, no top 4 finishes at the end of the regular season ever and since going 9-0 with an easy draw to 7-20 losses with no midfield depth. What does that tell you? What a ******* genius coach he is.

Another 10 off the list, then "go out and buy some guys" with "upside".

Put Boomer in the forward pocket, sack 20 blokes and go buy 20 other blokes who will all simultaneously have "upside", be uncontracted and willing to come to North as no other clubs would be interested. BRILLIANT! Why couldn't anyone else think of this?

As for your drugs comment. Unfortunately not, but I do need my ****en head read for engaging with you.

Another 10 off the list, then "go out and buy some guys" with "upside".

Put Boomer in the forward pocket, sack 20 blokes and go buy 20 other blokes who will all simultaneously have "upside", be uncontracted and willing to come to North as no other clubs would be interested. BRILLIANT! Why couldn't anyone else think of this?

As for your drugs comment. Unfortunately not, but I do need my ****en head read for engaging with you.

I agree you do need your head read lol. Who's saying sack 20 blokes Mr exaggeration? Can always miss finals every year with your plan I guess, hang on you haven't even got a plan have you. Your plans just to keep everyone on the list and play tall every game. You sure your real name isn't Brad Scott, hell your probably sitting at the club right now at your desk. ;)

Boomer at the peak of his powers? Honestly, that is some grade A selective vision going on there. He was far from his peak last year. He might have still been able to contribute, in fact undoubtedly he would have been able to be far from our worst player but it was time IMHO to move him on. He would not have been the difference between 17th and 4th this year so we were only delaying the inevitable for one year.

Boomer at the peak of his powers? Honestly, that is some grade A selective vision going on there. He was far from his peak last year. He might have still been able to contribute, in fact undoubtedly he would have been able to be far from our worst player but it was time IMHO to move him on. He would not have been the difference between 17th and 4th this year so we were only delaying the inevitable for one year.

6 goals in a a close game suggests he was still running at a pretty good capacity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

6 goals in a a close game suggests he was still running at a pretty good capacity.

One Swallow and all that.

I'm not saying he was crap last year and therefore would be this year but if I was rating his ability (against his peak) I'd say he would be at maybe 70% of that at best. This isn't an exercise in running down Boomer, but I think the idea that he was at his peak is overly generous by far.

I know this isn't the thread for it but I'm still not completely over the Boomer thing, and these sorts of discussions highlight that. :(
I'll never be over it. I think it was the wrong call and I will go to my grave thinking it.

But he's got a contract for next year as you know..

..However they throw us Brodie and Miller for a 2nd rounder and we might find a way to void it.

Contracts done mean a hell of a lot if both parties agree to terminate. Brad may want a longer term contract GC offer 4 years), North not willing to provide one so club and coach move on.

Wasn't he averaging career best numbers? I'd argue that is his peak.

Feel free to do so. His peak was around 2007 though and it will take more than numbers to convince me otherwise.

I'll admit I'm happy with Scott and Joyce. Few things to work on but i think we are almost there.

Bye bye brad...

See you tomorrow morning so we can sign that two year extension.

Shut up and keep the faith!

I agree you do need your head read lol. Who's saying sack 20 blokes Mr exaggeration? Can always miss finals every year with your plan I guess, hang on you haven't even got a plan have you. Your plans just to keep everyone on the list and play tall every game. You sure your real name isn't Brad Scott, hell your probably sitting at the club right now at your desk. ;)

How long ago did we last miss finals?

I'll never be over it. I think it was the wrong call and I will go to my grave thinking it.

You're right. It was the wrong call (imo) but its done now and nothing you or I do can ever change it. When I heard that news I was genuinely grief stricken and felt like someone had died. Not a loved one but close. Heard the news, got in a car thinking these ****en morans are marons and have no idea. Drove 1000 miles to melbourne thru western NSW and inner Katamatite and by the time I got there I felt a little healing in my soul. And I was able to be there for the GWS game which is something given the circumstances.

Its the end of an era - it changed the way we saw our club and our team but not in the bad way moving to the coast would have - and its ok to grieve that but nothing lasts forever even the things you think will. And sometimes the end is ****ed.

Unfortunately that is life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back