Play Nice Bye Bye Brad #3 [Locked: BS signs 2-year ext. Aug-2017, tied to NM until end 2020]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could it be that Martin and Kelly will only sign if Brad is their coach?

You mean to tell me that trying to attract not 1 but 2 top players in the league may be dependent upon us have a solid and stable club?

Radical thinking this.

They'll burn you as a heretic.

You mean to tell me that trying to attract not 1 but 2 top players in the league may be dependent upon us have a solid and stable club?

Radical thinking this.

They'll burn you as a heretic.

At this stage it's baseless thinking though.

They may prefer to play for a new coach, they may not care who's coaching so they as they get their $$, who really knows?

We shouldn't be extending a coach early, if we otherwise weren't going to, just in the hope it might somehow influence the Kelly/Martin trades. That to me would be irresponsible in the bigger picture.

At this stage it's baseless thinking though.

They may prefer to play for a new coach, they may not care who's coaching so they as they get their $$, who really knows?

We shouldn't be extending a coach early, if we otherwise weren't going to, just in the hope it might somehow influence the Kelly/Martin trades. That to me would be irresponsible in the bigger picture.
Name 1 top ten player in the comp that has jumped ship to a club in the throws of not having a coach /having a new coach.

Name Boyd, go on name Boyd as the example of a top ten player that has done this.

I think Brad has done a very good job with the cattle that he has had available to him... not too many people would have got the team we had over the last few years to consistent finals births... that alone should see him extended, especially if we land 1 or 2 of the big fish.

I think Brad has done a very good job with the cattle that he has had available to him... not too many people would have got the team we had over the last few years to consistent finals births... that alone should see him extended, especially if we land 1 or 2 of the big fish.

Even though I think Brad has made some mistakes - including some obvious ones - and not just prior to this year I think it does boil somewhat down to the above. In simple terms, in any one year was the team we had on the park clearly more capable and should have finished in a higher position and; should that team have been more capable (ie. how much do you assign to match day - which clearly still relies on player abilities, how much to drafting, how much to medical, how much to football department spend)

When it comes down to it I would be hard pressed to say that Brad has significantly underperformed given the resources in players, scouting, drafting etc that he had available. I may be being generous but I feel that the expansion years have massively skewed the playing field by artificially keeping the best teams better and the worst teams worse. Not to say I don't think we could have jagged the premiership with some more luck, nous, fight. But I would say that the finishes we've had were mostly honorable with what we had to work with.

How long all of the above should buy him and whether the structure around him should stay unchanged if we did extend are two completely separate questions.

We definitely had enough talent, especially mature, to finish top 4 after the H&A season at least in either or both of 2014 or 2015.

2016 was decimated due to injury, which of course Scott cannot be accountable for.

We blew the other two years with regular unacceptable losses.

To use lack of talent on the list as a means to excuse our lack of H&A success is an untrue cop-out IMO.

How long all of the above should buy him and whether the structure around him should stay unchanged if we did extend are two completely separate questions.

I believe that we do need to look at our assistant coaching team and add some new fresh blood in there... Josh Drummond and Leigh Tudor can stay... the others might need to either move to the VFL / WAFL squad or move on. If we can snag someone like S. Thompson [Ade] or Bartel to our coaching team we should pounce.

I believe that we do need to look at our assistant coaching team and add some new fresh blood in there... Josh Drummond and Leigh Tudor can stay... the others might need to either move to the VFL / WAFL squad or move on. If we can snag someone like S. Thompson [Ade] or Bartel to our coaching team we should pounce.
Hodge and or Mitchell should be the 2 targets IMO.

Luke Hodge and Stevie J.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a bad idea.

I'd like to get Lenny Hayes from GWS.
Thompson has spent a lot of the year in an unofficial mentoring role with the Crows SANFL team. He's played under a variety of coaches, seeing some very different styles. He'll bring a lot of IP to whichever team he goes to.

Thompson has spent a lot of the year in an unofficial mentoring role with the Crows SANFL team. He's played under a variety of coaches, seeing some very different styles. He'll bring a lot of IP to whichever team he goes to.

No more ****ing apprentices!

Try again.

Buckley? What?

There's no evidence to suggest that Buckley is in fact the 'right' man for Collingwood, just because he's been re-signed purely means they've crossed fingers and backed him in.

It could well prove to be a massive mistake, just like it has been for them since his initial appointment.

I'm not saying he is good or bad, I am supporting the approach they are taking as a club. Collingwood think he is their guy, so I definitely respect that they are investing in him as opppsed to kicking him to the kerb, which is arguably the easy/lazy option.

I'm not saying he is good or bad, I am supporting the approach they are taking as a club. Collingwood think he is their guy, so I definitely respect that they are investing in him as opppsed to kicking him to the kerb, which is arguably the easy/lazy option.

Fair enough. And you are entitled to that opinion.

If it does work out well for the Pies based on investing not kicking, then of course lets all hope the same applies to Scott/us also on the 'Thompson principle'.

I may be being generous but I feel that the expansion years have massively skewed the playing field by artificially keeping the best teams better and the worst teams worse.

I have no doubt the "expansion years" you mention have bought time for the likes of Hardwick, Scott and Buckley, skewing the comparison between their lengthy tenures and those who coached in the past.

No more ****ing apprentices!

Try again.

This is generally the point where the whole f*** Brad off thing falls down.

The field almost completely narrows to:
Brett Rattan
Rodney EAD Eade
Chocko Williams

Rattan the only real maybe for mine there.

Even then he didn't set the world on fire at Carlton.

A new coach and we write off a decent chunk of time depending on what they want to change.

FWIW I don't think we should extend Brad unless it is absolutely critical to getting Martin &/ or Kelly.

This is generally the point where the whole f*** Brad off thing falls down.

The field almost completely narrows to:
Brett Rattan
Rodney EAD Eade
Chocko Williams

Rattan the only real maybe for mine there.

Even then he didn't set the world on fire at Carlton.

A new coach and we write off a decent chunk of time depending on what they want to change.

FWIW I don't think we should extend Brad unless it is absolutely critical to getting Martin &/ or Kelly.

Yep. It's better to just stick with him whilst we are building again. If he can't deliver then, he goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back