Oppo Camp Caleb Poulter (Bulldogs MSD 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Decent showing from Caleb this year. Given his frame and size at start of the year I thought a handful of games later on to whet the appetite, might be it. So he exceeded those expectations. Hopefully he can add some size now, as I think he can become a very handy player for us

Good first season to crack 11 games. Showed some positive traits, key among them willingness to work back into defence to provide an outlet option.

Like to see him work on two aspects of his game over the summer. Firstly his kicking. When he goes back behind the mark he tends to be slow to decide what to do with it then lobs a floaty long bomb down the line too often. He's shown he can move the footy quickly and with precision bullet passes so more of that thanks.

Secondly, his defensive application. Reminds me of Tom Phillips in that he's generally the last person to see the oppositions offensive game unfolding, gives opponents too much space, and then tries to coral them rather than tackle when the obvious does unfold as you'd have thought.

Maybe we could send him and a couple of the other kids across to the AAMI Centre for some tackle training with the Storm.

I do love it when people draw definitive conclusions from their interpretations of a few tiny snippets.....

That be for all Fans as we don't work in the Footy Department

Like to see him work on two aspects of his game over the summer. Firstly his kicking. When he goes back behind the mark he tends to be slow to decide what to do with it then lobs a floaty long bomb down the line too often. He's shown he can move the footy quickly and with precision bullet passes so more of that thanks.

Would that what he Normally does or what the Coach has told him to do? Hopefully New Coaches tell him to move ball Quicker and not be Slow

Secondly, his defensive application. Reminds me of Tom Phillips in that he's generally the last person to see the oppositions offensive game unfolding, gives opponents too much space, and then tries to coral them rather than tackle when the obvious does unfold as you'd have thought.
Though his Tackling is Good also he was pretty much playing the Same Postion as Phillips

Good first season to crack 11 games. Showed some positive traits, key among them willingness to work back into defence to provide an outlet option.

Maybe we could send him and a couple of the other kids across to the AAMI Centre for some tackle training with the Storm.
Regarding his kicking, I agree there. Maybe just a confidence thing in his first year? Would be good to see him bite a few more of those off next year

Would that what he Normally does or what the Coach has told him to do? Hopefully New Coaches tell him to move ball Quicker and not be Slow

It's on him Dave. Might be confidence. Time will tell.

Though his Tackling is Good also he was pretty much playing the Same Postion as Phillips

People bemoan Thomas, WHE, Noble, and Cal Brown types as soft or poor footballers yet they all lead Poulter on tackles per game and pressure acts per game. It's something he can improve on.

It's on him Dave. Might be confidence. Time will tell.

People bemoan Thomas, WHE, Noble, and Cal Brown types as soft or poor footballers yet they all lead Poulter on tackles per game and pressure acts per game. It's something he can improve on.

It's his 1st Year so of Course there is Stuff to Work On and that is Exciting as well on what he could become in 3-4 Seasons Time

I think he lacks the physical attributes to be an elite mid, should end up a handy HBF imo.
Which attributes would they be?

Looks tall enough. Bit of time in the gym and think he can be strong enough. While not super quick don’t think pace is a problem. What attribute will he not have in a few years after a few pre seasons?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks tall enough. Bit of time in the gym and think he can be strong enough. While not super quick don’t think pace is a problem. What attribute will he not have in a few years after a few pre seasons?

Should develop the physical attributes and ball skills to play mid. The question will be around his ability to win contests. His game was pretty uncontested this year. Not that you'd expect aything different when you see how skinny he currently is.

He's currently very outside but lacks pace and his kicking is hit and miss.

Has lovely hands and composure, i think his ceiling is more your handy B grade player and i reckon the club would be stoked if he got to that level.

He's currently very outside but lacks pace and his kicking is hit and miss.

Has lovely hands and composure, i think his ceiling is more your handy B grade player and i reckon the club would be stoked if he got to that level.

So no slower or worse kick that Clayton Oliver but lacks the attributes to be elite.

Kid has has the physical attributes to be elite. Whether he gets there will have nothing to do with a lack of size, strength or pace. It will be down to skill and effort.

I think it’s easy to just see Poulter as a winger as that’s where he spent time this year.

I can see him moving into the middle once he has some more size and strength.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
He was my favourite draftee this year. Thought he showed some great strength in the air and in the contest for an 18 year old. Look forward to seeing his development

Geez for a bloke who allegedly doesn't do the defensive work all that well there were a few decent tackles there...

He is a Very Good Tackler for a Skinny Kid

Poults has shown bits and pieces but nowhere near enough to make a definitive judgement on his ceiling.

Anyone who tries to tell you otherwise simply love the sound of their own voice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Caleb Poulter (Bulldogs MSD 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back