Can Hawthorn succeed while ignoring the elite end of the draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's interesting that the two teams who entrenched the idea of building from the draft, Hawthorn and Geelong, by building juggernauts on the back of a couple of really strong draft hauls, are the two teams that have thumbed their nose at the draft and decided it is for mug punters.

Maybe they're both shrewd investors who used picks back when they were undervalued and are now selling them because they're overvalued.

either that or some teams about to fall of some cliffs

Richmond also have the personnel. Hawthorn right now do not have a player as good as Dustin Martin, and no, Mitchell is not.

Hawthorn have also never had a full-back as good as Alex Rance in their history.
Chris Langford and Peter Knights beg to differ.

This thread needs Goddard in here saying Worpel has stagnated, and that on every line we rank about 12th. Brad Johnson then says T Mitchell is ranked 5th from the 2011 draft, and NDS reckons Bud is the 9th ranked player of the decade 😂😂😂
Bud is easily the best player this decade, GAJ his only real competition. What a ridiculous article from NDS.

Yes but would hawks take that as vindication of strategy if next 4 years resulted in 3 top 4 finishes?
Nope there is only way to be successfull in the AFL and that is to win the premiership everything else is a fail. There are different ways to climb that mountain. However if you never reach the top then your strategy whatever it is has been unsuccessfull

they recently won the flag and have acquired kelly they seem to be in a good spot

Yeah I do rate the Eagles chances in 2020. I was making a point regarding West Coast losing to the Hawks in Round 23 lol

It could well be a West Coast vs Richmond GF.

Bud is easily the best player this decade, GAJ his only real competition. What a ridiculous article from NDS.

I would find it hard not to pick Luke Hodge first at the start of the decade. But he will never win a "best player" competition, because what he did for a team is so difficult to quantify.

But Hodge, for me, is first pick.

I didnt watch Kelvin Moore (triple premiership player) but I did get the tail end of Chris Langford's career (4 x premiership player) and Brian Lake naturally did the hat trick.

Chris Langford in his prime had to play on the likes of Ablett Senior, Lockett and Modra. Who does Rance play on?

These foolish blanket statements rightfully deserve the dustbin Bay 13 treatment.
Langford was seriously good. Rance is too though. Probably on a par in that they are/were in the best couple of players of their position.

I didnt watch Kelvin Moore (triple premiership player) but I did get the tail end of Chris Langford's career (4 x premiership player) and Brian Lake naturally did the hat trick.

Chris Langford in his prime had to play on the likes of Ablett Senior, Lockett and Modra. Who does Rance play on?

These foolish blanket statements rightfully deserve the dustbin Bay 13 treatment.

You can also throw in Chris Mew, who I'd put in the top 10 best fullbacks I've seen (in 50 years watching footy)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can also throw in Chris Mew, who I'd put in the top 10 best fullbacks I've seen (in 50 years watching footy)

Mew was even better at CHB.

He had run and carry, and an incredible kick and was strong in packs. His game in the 80s and 90s was very similar to what we see in the modern game.

He was the first picked every week for a reason.

Mew was sensational so much so that i relegated my fav player knights when choosing the best ever CHB to play for Hawthorn. Mew was quite simply the best read of the ball in flight i have ever seen. Not really athletically gifted he was always in the right place at the right time

Mew was sensational so much so that i relegated my fav player knights when choosing the best ever CHB to play for Hawthorn. Mew was quite simply the best read of the ball in flight i have ever seen. Not really athletically gifted he was always in the right place at the right time
He made time slow down just did everything at his own pace

The guy who wrote the 2 books on the Tigers flags was on the radio the other day and he said that the tigers want to be a club that contends every year like the Hawks, Cats nd Swans.

Be interesting to see what approach they take in the future, judging by the criticism of the Hawks plan in this thread if they come 4th next year and a couple of their player retire they'll be wanting to trade out Dusty and everyone else decent over 23 and get to the elite end of the draft for a few years.

Richmond also have the personnel. Hawthorn right now do not have a player as good as Dustin Martin, and no, Mitchell is not.

Hawthorn have also never had a full-back as good as Alex Rance in their history.
Im backing Freo for the flag. No one else has a player as good as Fyfe and a half forward as good as Sonny Walters.

This thread needs Goddard in here saying Worpel has stagnated, and that on every line we rank about 12th. Brad Johnson then says T Mitchell is ranked 5th from the 2011 draft, and NDS reckons Bud is the 9th ranked player of the decade 😂😂😂

Goddard thinks pies have a better list than richmond, safe to say he’s entering media nuff territory in record time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back