Can Port win a premiership under Ken Hinkley?

Remove this Banner Ad

You're a weird club and supporter base.

Did it event occur to you may have the worst supporters in the AFL, and that could be a reason for your ongoing failure at high performance?
No, because I used to have to serve Carlton supporters alcohol

If he couldn't do it 2014, 2020, 2021 & 2023 - and ignoring all abject failures in the gaps between those years - on what evidence do we think it's possible this year?

We've all heard within and without the club he doesn't have the list for it!?

If he couldn't do it 2014, 2020, 2021 & 2023 - and ignoring all abject failures in the gaps between those years - on what evidence do we think it's possible this year?

We've all heard within and without the club he doesn't have the list for it!?

Winning premierships isn't solely about having the skill set. There's a lot of luck involved too.

You had your success last decade, so you are not qualified to have an opinion on this matter.

We also went 17 years without making a grand final. Your club has never done that. I saw the club nearly merge, you think I'm not qualified of being in the doldrums for so long?

We now have a good percentage of young members that has never experienced a premiership. Is there any surprise that they are fed up of being told a grand story of success and history but then get served with mediocrity.

Mediocrity would be finishing in the middle of the ladder consistently which has not happened to your club. Are you comparing yourself to dynasty teams? Are you annoyed you were no where near a dynasty?

Memberships aren't cheap, going the footy isn't cheap, buying merchandise isn't cheap, watch pay TV or streaming services isn't cheap. The people who spend their hard earn money want a return on investment and they are not in it just for the entertainment.

And then in lies your problem.

I remember when we went almost two decades without making a grand final but excited to go to the football when we drafted players like Hodge, Buddy, Mitchell, Roughead. Later Rioli came along at it became even more fun.

I told my mates I don't care if we don't win a premiership but this team was fun to go watch every week. Maybe were a different set?

They can win it this year as long as they have the belief and focus every game, their attack and defensive pressure is key to their game. It's not an easy league to win in.

They definitely can, but I seriously doubt they will.

When their midfield is up and going and they run and carry then they’re near impossible to stop. Problem is that goes missing too often, and when they don’t have that speed on the ball they struggle to find ways to score and are vulnerable on counter attack. It’s the blueprint for how we’ve gotten the wood over them despite being an inferior side at present.

On top of that, as good as their mids are, they have shown that they can be beaten in the contest. Particularly by a side with midfielders who are strong contested players. The semi final last year is the prime example.

So although they are more than capable of producing premiership level football, I reckon the blueprint to beating them is pretty clear, and at least one team will be able to execute.

Winning premierships isn't solely about having the skill set. There's a lot of luck involved too.
A major luck factor being the coach involved!
Mediocrity would be finishing in the middle of the ladder consistently which has not happened to your club.
2015-2019 we were mid table and at best mediocre. This period should've been Hinkley's end

I remember when we went almost two decades without making a grand final but excited to go to the football when we drafted players like Hodge, Buddy, Mitchell, Roughead. Later Rioli came along at it became even more fun.

I told my mates I don't care if we don't win a premiership but this team was fun to go watch every week. Maybe were a different set?
yes and then you saw an era of success. If you went another 7 years and saw these exciting players drop in form, retire, be traded, delisted, still no success and the same coach would you still think it was fun to go watch every week?

2015-2019 we were mid table and at best mediocre. This period should've been Hinkley's end

You've preselected a period, a random period to suit your argument, but it doesn't even strengthen your argument because you made finals twice.

yes and then you saw an era of success. If you went another 7 years and saw these exciting players drop in form, retire, be traded, delisted, still no success and the same coach would you still think it was fun to go watch every week?

You've misconstrued the point.

We also went 5 years without making the grand final after 08, with a much better team you've ever had in your 150 year history.

We were labelled chockers, trash and overrated. Our couch was asked to be sacked and past it. Like I said, we enjoyed going to the football, and although the prelim loss to Pies hurt in 2011 (umpires hurt us that game, Schoenmakers doing Schoenmakers things), the 2012 grand final was even worse and we deserved to lose, but it was still fun.

Unfortunately for Port supporters regardless of which coach is at the helm "fun" never comes into it. You're delusional if you think that you'll find enjoyment if and when Hinkley leaves. You'll get a sugar hit for a short while and then you'll probably revert to mean pretty quickly after that.

You've preselected a period, a random period to suit your argument, but it doesn't even strengthen your argument because you made finals twice.

We also went 5 years without making the grand final after 08, with a much better team you've ever had in your 150 year history.

We were labelled chockers, trash and overrated. Our couch was asked to be sacked and past it. Like I said, we enjoyed going to the football, and although the prelim loss to Pies hurt in 2011 (umpires hurt us that game, Schoenmakers doing Schoenmakers things), the 2012 grand final was even worse and we deserved to lose, but it was still fun.

Unfortunately for Port supporters regardless of which coach is at the helm "fun" never comes into it. You're delusional if you think that you'll find enjoyment if and when Hinkley leaves. You'll get a sugar hit for a short while and then you'll probably revert to mean pretty quickly after that.
I'm reminded of what Ted Kaczynski said in Port Adelaide Football Club and its Future:

"Port Adelaide supporters prefer to give coaching the credit (whoever is the assistant du jour) or blame (Hinkley or whichever patsy replaces him) for an individual’s ability or lack of it. Thus if a player can't execute a basic skill or makes a poor decision, it is not his fault, but the coaching staff, because he has not been coached properly."

"If Port Adelaide as a club had no problems at all, Port supporters would have to INVENT problems in order to provide themselves with an excuse for making a fuss."

There is literally nothing Ken can do in the home and away season that puts egg on anyone's face. He should be sacked because he cannot win knockout finals, even home finals which we've gone into as warm favourites. Last night wasn't a final. Get back to us in September.
oh we will see about that.

The booing began when Port were on track to lose by 100 points at home to the 13th-placed side.

If you can’t boo a multimillionaire who can barely string a sentence together under those circumstances, when can you?
Are we talking about the Biden vs Trump presidential debate?

2013 - return to finals. :whitecheck:
2014 - Make PF from outside top 4. Run reigning premiers (in the middle of a 3peat) close. :whitecheck:
2017 - Lose EF from 5th. See saw finals classic. Shuey later admits to ducking. :question:
2020 - Make PF and lose. Finished top of ladder. Lose to Richmond who complete dynasty a week later. :question:
2021 - Finish 2nd. Get discombobulated by WB :crossmark:
2023 - Straight sets exit from 3rd. :crossmark:

It's really only since covid that you could argue a GF should be attained, and one was lost to a great Tigers side. The last two exits have been very poor. I'll give you that. Reckon in a similar time frame we've thrown away 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019 GF appearances and haven't gone nuts about it.
and you can make a case if you made a grand final in one of those 4 seasons, cats definately would of won a flag. 2016 vs the dogs you can make a case, 2019 vs gws as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope not.
It’s a copycat league
Club use to give coaches 4-5 yr max to win a flag
Dimma changed that to 7-8
If Hinkley wins one in his 12th
More clubs will keep coaches past their use by date
Interesting view.

Choco Williams coached Port in 1999, won a flag in 2004, which was year 6.

Bomber Thompson coached the cats in 2000, got his 1st flag in 2007, his 8th year.

Malthouse was Collingwood's coach in 2000, got a flag in 2010, his 11th season. Mind you he could of got a flag in 2002 or 2003.

If you are saying clubs used to give coaches 4-5 years to win a flag... So if Justin Longmuir doesn't get freo a flag by the end of the season, he should be sacked? He has been coaching freo since 2020

"a random period" lol it's a five season block, and we didn't make finals twice. Check your facts

This is the ladder position for that period. The red circle denotes the realm of mediocrity

Screenshot 2024-08-15 135512.png

as if you would know anything about our history and the teams we have had

Unfortunately for Port supporters regardless of which coach is at the helm "fun" never comes into it.
This is patently untrue and based on nothing more than your opinion, once again check your facts

I'm reminded of what Ted Kaczynski said in Port Adelaide Football Club and its Future:

Err ... the Unabomber?

oh we will see about that.
We 'will' see about it? We already have seen about it. 0-5 in his last 5 knockout finals. All but one of them was at home against lower ranked opposition.

West Coast are showing genuine interest in poaching Kenny.
Apparently Koch is already telling the board they need to nip this in the bud and give Kenny a 5 year extension to put all the noise about the coach to bed.

Apparently Koch is worried this could unsettle the playing group and derail another finals campaign if the speculation and uncertainty grows.

Sauce reckons he might not get the 5 years through the board but you can put Kenny down for another extension at Port. IF he doesn't decide to jump ship and go to WC that is.

West Coast are showing genuine interest in poaching Kenny.
Apparently Koch is already telling the board they need to nip this in the bud and give Kenny a 5 year extension to put all the noise about the coach to bed.

Apparently Koch is worried this could unsettle the playing group and derail another finals campaign if the speculation and uncertainty grows.

Sauce reckons he might not get the 5 years through the board but you can put Kenny down for another extension at Port. IF he doesn't decide to jump ship and go to WC that is.

Whoever Ken’s manager is they’ve been very clever at using the threat of poaching and Port’s runs of good form to get Ken extensions.

is this a book? i can't find anything on the internet about this guy (in relation to PAFC) or this book :|

A major luck factor being the coach involved!

If you guys win the flag, i can see Kenny body surfing the fans back at port oval.

We made the finals once in 2015-2019, but even twice doesn't make the results during that time okay. Three times also wouldn't make them okay.

You know you get into the finals for finishing 8th, right? It's not an achievement.

We made the finals once in 2015-2019, but even twice doesn't make the results during that time okay. Three times also wouldn't make them okay.

You know you get into the finals for finishing 8th, right? It's not an achievement.

So you had an average 4 years where you made finals once, and then started a mini rebuild in 2019, what else do you expect?

So you had an average 4 years where you made finals once, and then started a mini rebuild in 2019, what else do you expect?

I expect them to sack the coach when we don't win a final in 5 years despite having a list who had elite young players coming into their primes and added the likes of Ryder, Dixon, Rockliff etc.

I don't think that's controversial? Why waste another rebuild on a coach who pissed away the last one so badly?

Remove this Banner Ad

Can Port win a premiership under Ken Hinkley?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back