Can Port win a premiership under Ken Hinkley?

Remove this Banner Ad

Did you know that less than half of the players who played tonight played in the equally embarrassing Bulldogs prelim capitulation of 2021?

Sure is unlucky poor old Kenny that our list managers have somehow managed to deliver him two almost completely different teams made up of players who are excellent in the H&A season but fold in finals. Must just be a coincidence, nothing to do with him at all. Anyway I'm off tomorrow for my first day of remedial pattern recognition lessons, I'm guessing I'll see you there?
The same midfield that played that night played today… the place you lost the game….

I mean perhaps the midfield needs some blame yeah. Not sure Hinkley caused Drew to fumble every ball near him and Rozee 2nd half was an abomination. These players were the issue in 2021 and are the issue in 2024

The same midfield that played that night played today… the place you lost the game….

I mean perhaps the midfield needs some blame yeah. Not sure Hinkley caused Drew to fumble every ball near him and Rozee 2nd half was an abomination. These players were the issue in 2021 and are the issue in 2024
And in 2017 when none of those blokes had even been drafted and a completely different midfield went down in an elimination final at home to 8th placed West Coast who we'd beaten comfortably at Subiaco in the H&A season? Only 4 players from that game played today.

Is there any common denominator between these two almost entirely different lists that you can think of?

Genuinely amazing that is on here like 'hey Port every player on your list is great in the H&A season but goes to water in finals, this must be each of the individual players' fault' but can't go that next step to figure out why that might be, rather than just putting it down to one big and constantly repeating coincidence.

You think if peak Alistair Clarkson or peak Damian Hardwick had Zak Butters and Connor Rozee (both of whom are talented enough to be dual All-Australians by the age of 24, let's not forget) at his disposal, they'd still go to water in finals?

Last edited by a moderator:

They added JHF

I have always said, and continue to firmly believe, Ken Hinkley has NEVER had the cattle to win a flag at Port Adelaide and has actually managed to draw decent results from a list that has ranged from average to above average for his entire tenure.
Mate he has had his time regardless, longest serving coach ever to not make a GF.
In 2020 Port were as good as any team, our dynasty team had to fight till the end to beat them.

Mate he has had his time regardless, longest serving coach ever to not make a GF.
In 2020 Port were as good as any team, our dynasty team had to fight till the end to beat them.
No!!!!! There is no way he can keep his job if the Port Adelaide board is at all retional in how they assess performance. OK. Anyway, I have no sympathy. Bye.

What is worse? Not winning a final in 20 years or consistently not getting to a Grand Final in 20 years, so close but yet so far?
As a supporter, the second one.

Essendon will eventually be good again. When they are, their fans will have reason to get invested in their team and excited about the unknown. My team finished 2nd this year and I didn't give a shit the entire time because I knew this was coming as soon as the real stuff kicked off. If Hinkley is still coaching us next year, even a 23-0 H&A season wouldn't get me invested or excited in the slightest for finals.

As a supporter, the second one.

Essendon will eventually be good again. When they are, their fans will have reason to get invested in their team and excited about the unknown. My team finished 2nd this year and I didn't give a shit the entire time because I knew this was coming as soon as the real stuff kicked off. If Hinkley is still coaching us next year, even a 23-0 H&A season wouldn't get me invested or excited in the slightest for finals.
Least you guys can enjoy the home and away season Essendon fans can't even really do that

I have always said, and continue to firmly believe, Ken Hinkley has NEVER had the cattle to win a flag at Port Adelaide and has actually managed to draw decent results from a list that has ranged from average to above average for his entire tenure.
It’s his 12th year of coaching. This is HIS list. Only Boak predates his coaching tenure

Least you guys can enjoy the home and away season Essendon fans can't even really do that
No, we can't. I would've enjoyed it more if we sucked badly enough to sack the campaigner. The most I enjoyed a Port game this year was the Brisbane game.

I enjoyed being a Port supporter in 2011 when we won 3 games all year more than I enjoyed it this season. At least in 2011 I got to enjoy 3 wins. In 2024 I haven't enjoyed any.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ken would have to have the worst finals record in the history of the game.

What a moron
Coaches with a worse W/L ratio

Jack Dyer
John Worsfold

Tied entering this week
Chris Fagan

And in 2017 when none of those blokes had even been drafted and a completely different midfield went down in an elimination final at home to 8th placed West Coast who we'd beaten comfortably at Subiaco in the H&A season? Only 4 players from that game played today.

Is there any common denominator between these two almost entirely different lists that you can think of?
The stench of 2007 is still within the club.
You can't move on until Boak is ousted from the club.

Since when has 12 seasons been longer than 13 seasons?

No, we can't. I would've enjoyed it more if we sucked badly enough to sack the campaigner. The most I enjoyed a Port game this year was the Brisbane game.

I enjoyed being a Port supporter in 2011 when we won 3 games all year more than I enjoyed it this season. At least in 2011 I got to enjoy 3 wins. In 2024 I haven't enjoyed any.
Fair enough mate I think I understand. The more you do decent in the season the less likely things will actually change and you know you can't be successful with the way things currently stand and it's like every win is papering over the cracks.

Our 8th placed team was much better then yours on paper then too. It’s why we won the Grand Final the following season…

If we go back to 2021 to now, the common denominator is that midfield. JHF has been added however he is needed up forward way too often cos Francis Evans and Quinton Narkle are not exactly the quality required to kick a bag.

I can’t fathom the coaching moves you expected today from Ken that would have resulted in a 15 goal turnaround. DBJ was going to have to have one of the greatest performances in the history of sport to do that . Even if Dixon/Rat didn’t play and Marshall/Visenti did instead that’s not adding 15 goals to this side because ultimately the front running midfielders will still be front running there way to defeat

Rozee is turning into one of the worst midfielders I’ve seen in my life when it comes to the discrepancy of H&A form to finals football but he gets away with it year after year cos 1 man can get blamed for all. Ken can do what he likes but Rozee shittiing the bed belongs to Rozee here. Ken can’t make the guy win a hard ball… he can’t make Drew pick up the ball properly and he can’t make Evans/Narkle into good footballers. You can get away with this when you face teams 6-18 but when you play 3rd, well you can’t

Ken is the gift that keeps giving. The Power board is a pretty sorry place at them moment.
Lots of gnashing of teeth, and rending of garments going on over there.

If Port lose again next week vs Dogs or Hawks, I dont want to be near the Port Adeaide or Alberton or rosewater area lol.

Ken is currently in his 12 season at coaching in the VFL/AFL without making a GF

Where as Bill Stephen completed 13 seasons without accomplishing the the same.

So Ken will not claim this unless he's still at Port Adelaide in 2026.

Even if this were true, how many examples from competitive sport or business can you think of where the person at the top doesn't cop it in the neck for organisational failure.

Hinkley is 100% paycheque and 0% accountability. He's not without talent though. He's a master manipulator of a clueless board and the AFL media for turning them into his enablers, so I'll give him that.

Of the posters defending Hinkley on BF, 99% are trolling and 1% need professional medical help. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Can Port win a premiership under Ken Hinkley?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back