Can Port win a premiership under Ken Hinkley?

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly don't know how you blame Hinkley for this.

He's coached them to a 2nd spot finish.

It's not like a coach can do anything drastic on game-day.

Players and leaders on the field need to step up.

It's the coach when we're good, and the players when we're bad. Gotcha.

No team should ever sack any coach, ever then.

Stupidest ****ing argument of all time. Anyone still arguing for ken is either a troll or mentally incapable.

Is there a bit of the Chris Scott's about Ken Hinkley?

Acknowledging CS won a flag in his first season (albeit with Bombers list) - but they both share a similar history of

• constant top 4 finishes
  • enviable ability to regenerate a list on the run

Now CS as we know managed to break through with another flag in 2022

If Ken can win it this year, will he convince Port supporters he is the right man for the job? & if he does, his CV all of a sudden looks like one of the most decorated in the afl

It is easy to say 'we need a new coach' but look at my mob barely 12 months after Dimma left. Players heading for the exits via trade / FA / retirement left right & centre. Be careful what you wish for Port fans
The current situation at Port reminds me of where we were in 2021.
We had been a great home and away side for several years, but had an ordinary finals record.

Port also remind me of my own club with their ability to regenerate the list without bottoming out, and remaining in finals contention every year.
I have posted elsewhere that only two clubs have been in finals contention every year since Hinkley arrived at Port.
Those clubs are Geelong and Port Adelaide, and both clubs have won a minimum of 10 games every year since Hinkley arrived at Port.

What we did after 2021 was backed in the head coach and cleared out the assistant coaches, so we could bring fresh ideas into the coaches box via new assistants.
Port should seriously consider doing something similar this off season, back Hinkley in and surround him with new assistants in order to reinvigorate their coaches box.

The current situation at Port reminds me of where we were in 2021.
We had been a great home and away side for several years, but had an ordinary finals record.

Port also remind me of my own club with their ability to regenerate the list without bottoming out, and remaining in finals contention every year.
I have posted elsewhere that only two clubs have been in finals contention every year since Hinkley arrived at Port.
Those clubs are Geelong and Port Adelaide, and both clubs have won a minimum of 10 games every year since Hinkley arrived at Port.

What we did after 2021 was backed in the head coach and cleared out the assistant coaches, so we could bring fresh ideas into the coaches box via new assistants.
Port should seriously consider doing something similar this off season, back Hinkley in and surround him with new assistants in order to reinvigorate their coaches box.

fair point - its a similar situation, but the opposite problem

I feel with Scott, he was a great motivator & always had a committed playing group - but his tactics were stale & fresh ideas were required

Hinkley on the other hand seems to have a contemporary game plan, but is missing the ability to appropriately motivate his players in September

Nah. Rozee/Butters/Boak/Wines/Drew been dogging the contest in finals for a while now

They need to take the blame for that. Ken cant prevent Drew from being Fumbles McGee and Rozee from shirking the contest im afraid

Coaching can absolutely prevent fumbling.

Train it under high intensity and high pressure over time, and if there are players that still can’t do it then you don’t pick them.

Do you think it was a coincidence that Geelong were super clean and the majority of their handballs were perfectly on target?

Coaching can absolutely prevent fumbling.

Train it under high intensity and high pressure over time, and if there are players that still can’t do it then you don’t pick them.

Do you think it was a coincidence that Geelong were super clean and the majority of their handballs were perfectly on target?

Random aside - more needs to be made about how insanely clean Geelong were, especially early. The pressure was not bad at all, they just handled it.

Random aside - more needs to be made about how insanely clean Geelong were, especially early. The pressure was not bad at all, they just handled it.
Reports from observers during finals training suggest that the players had very light runs prior to this match. This reflects the lack of intensity in their performance.

Spoken like someone who wasn't at the game. Our pressure was awful. It didn't look like one top team outplaying another, it looked like 8th making light work of 16th.

Spoken like someone who wasn't at the game. Our pressure was awful. It didn't look like one top team outplaying another, it looked like 8th making light work of 16th.

You were overrated going in.
Of all teams Geelong could face in week 1, it was Port Adelaide followed by Sydney. Those two have a soft underbelly and although Sydney came through in the end, they still froze in the moment and needed their superstar to come to the rescue.

Port Adelaide have a brilliant midfield and very little else. Even Jordan Sweet is a scrapper who possess no other strings to his bow. He's not quick, can't mark and doesn't kick goals.
You then have Boak (solid game but he's cooked), Ratugolea, Narkle (lol, is Ken taking the piss?), Evans and Dixon who is char-grilled and should have retired 18 months ago.

When Port beat Geelong earlier in the year, this was the coach and players celebrating on the sidelines

1725544836789.png

You can learn a great deal by how players and coaching staff celebrate after a win (Swans last night as if they had won the grand final).

Port Adelaide are perennial chokers and I knew we would get you when it mattered most.

Of all teams Geelong could face in week 1, it was Port Adelaide followed by Sydney. Those two have a soft underbelly and although Sydney came through in the end, they still froze in the moment and needed their superstar to come to the rescue.

Port Adelaide have a brilliant midfield and very little else. Even Jordan Sweet is a scrapper who possess no other strings to his bow. He's not quick, can't mark and doesn't kick goals.
You then have Boak (solid game but he's cooked), Ratugolea, Narkle (lol, is Ken taking the piss?), Evans and Dixon who is char-grilled and should have retired 18 months ago.

When Port beat Geelong earlier in the year, this was the coach and players celebrating on the sidelines

View attachment 2105053

You can learn a great deal by how players and coaching staff celebrate after a win (Swans last night as if they had won the grand final).

Port Adelaide are perennial chokers and I knew we would get you when it mattered most.
Funny, I feel the exact same way about the spanking Geelong is going to get as soon as they come up against a decent finals side in Brisbane or GWS the week after next.

Question really should be can Port win a flag with their shit list management team producing shit squads.

Wouldn't have a top 10 forward line in the league. Defence is hot garbage. Sav and Zerk-Thatcher as your saviours.
Shit like Sweet, Soldo and Visentini as your ruck solutions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny, I feel the exact same way about the spanking Geelong is going to get as soon as they come up against a decent finals side in Brisbane or GWS the week after next.

I guess so.
I think we've surpassed everyone's expectations so anything from here on is a bonus.

Not the case for Port Adelaide and their supporters.

I feel sorry for you. Only 4 goals down at half time and no fight in the Port players.
The look on the Port Adelaide players faces in the dressing rooms at half time when only 20 points down was staggering. If you'd had not watched the first half and just seen the players faces in dressing room at half time, you'd swear they were 10+ goals down and this is a qualifying final at their home ground full of their own Port Adelaide supporters. In all my years of watching footy I've never seen that before and I'd be so pissed off if I was a Port Adelaide supporter. It was akin to watching Greg Norman's face when turning for home with the last 9 holes to play at the Master's in Augusta way back when with playing partner Nick Faldo being the innocent bystander watching Greg live out his worst nightmare.

pretending-to-be-happy-hiding-crying-behind-a-mask.jpg

You right now.

We can look at the fact we're in a PF having played on Thursday with a side that had 9 changes from the team that won a flag just under 2 years ago as a sign that what we do works.

A completely calm and relaxed fanbase as can be about what 2024 could have in store. At worst we're finishing no worse than 4th when no one thought we'd play finals.

GWS have lost 3 of their last 6 finals including one against Geelong.
Brisbane have won 6 of their last 10. 2 of their losses? To Geelong, who have won 6 of their last 7 finals in the same period.

We may well lose; the Giants in particular have absolutely no reason to fear us, they win regularly at Kardinia Park for starters let alone a separate venue. But such a result would owe little to finals pedigree

If Hawthorn thump Port, there'll be an announcement euphemistically saying that Ken has agreed to step down as Port Adelaide coach. Maybe Ken stays on as a lame duck if they lose a close game but a thumping loss will be the end for Ken.
I can't see Ken stepping down. He's got too much pride for that. I think most Port fans would agree with that as well.

I can't see Ken stepping down. He's got too much pride for that. I think most Port fans would agree with that as well.

Agreed. If we lose and he isn’t pushed out, he will do his usual disappearing act for the next 5 months as he has every other time.

Goes under ground all off season to avoid any blow back.

Will have to be pushed.

View attachment 2105053

Can you take Ken back at least then? Get him a job cleaning up the kennels at the local dog track in a Geelong?

Remove this Banner Ad

Can Port win a premiership under Ken Hinkley?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back