Can Port win a premiership under Ken Hinkley?

Remove this Banner Ad

i see all the port fans are back on the bandwagon again
You mean the sack Hinkley wagon? Well duh. Most of us haven't gotten off of it since the 21 prelim disaster.

The majority within the Port camp give us absolutely zero chance of winning this weekend. Doesn't mean we don't want to, but we've all seen this movie before.

You mean the sack Hinkley wagon? Well duh. Most of us haven't gotten off of it since the 21 prelim disaster.

The majority within the Port camp give us absolutely zero chance of winning this weekend. Doesn't mean we don't want to, but we've all seen this movie before.
How would the Hinkley out camp feel if Port knocked off Sydney but lost the grand final by 2 points?

Is it flag or bust? Or is there nuance? Hawthorn and Sydney would be two big knockout finals scalps...

A creed worthy loss in a grand final and most would accept Ken gets to stay.

If he makes a grand final most will accept he has to stay and many won't be happy with it.

If he extends his run as the longest serving coach ever without a grand final then people will be understandably pissed off.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

A creed worthy loss in a grand final and most would accept Ken gets to stay.

If he makes a grand final most will accept he has to stay and many won't be happy with it.

If he extends his run as the longest serving coach ever without a grand final then people will be understandably pissed off.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Well then I'm getting behind Port this weekend, as almost every non Swans/Crows/Hawks supporter will.

Well at least Port can take solace in the journey for how they got to the same result as every other year. Blown away uncompetitively in a prelim. The only question is will they talk about the 2024 Semi against Hawthorn for another 30 years with the same reverence that Carlton do the 1999 prelim?

Shoutout to all the 'yOu pOrT sUpPorTeRs aRe gOnNa lOoK sIlLy wHeN hE wInS yOu a fLaG' bellends. We've played twelve quarters this finals series and we've won one of them.

Four prelims and four losses for the worst finals coach in VFL/AFL history. Three top 2 finishes and five top 3 finishes without a single Grand Final to show for it, let alone premiership. A record truly unmatched in 125 years of our sport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As someone who’s never given two f**ks about this issue but by now I’m interested:

To the Port fans - how much of this, or at what point, do you put the blame for this, at the feet of the players as well as your coach? Obviously I get that a coach with no grand final appearances from THIS many chances is going to draw criticism. How much heat do you put on you player group for the same outcome?

As someone who’s never given two f**ks about this issue but by now I’m interested:

To the Port fans - how much of this, or at what point, do you put the blame for this, at the feet of the players as well as your coach? Obviously I get that a coach with no grand final appearances from THIS many chances is going to draw criticism. How much heat do you put on you player group for the same outcome?
Given that three almost entirely different player groups under Common Denominator Ken have reached the exact same outcome, very little.

I dunno, maybe let's turnover the list another 3 times and give Kenny an extra 10 years to find out. I think we should change every other thing (multiple times) except the dullard coach. That's the only reasonable outcome

I'm happy to gut the playing list but we're basically on our third rebuild with Donuts and all teams have been shit, fair to say there's a consistent there

I'm happy to gut the playing list but we're basically on our third rebuild with Donuts and all teams have been shit, fair to say there's a consistent there

No that’s fair enough I understand the Ken angst I’m just curious as to where the players stand in all this

They played some bloody good football this year and played one final where they were manic but also two where they didn’t fire a shot

No that’s fair enough I understand the Ken angst I’m just curious as to where the players stand in all this

They played some bloody good football this year and played one final where they were manic but also two where they didn’t fire a shot

So either we happen to have the worst luck with drafting pea hearted players, year after year, for the last 15 years, who go missing when the heat is on.

Or

Maybe, just maybe, the mindset and application is a huge part of what modern coaching is about, and we happen to not be very good on that front.

to me, Port's plight is similar to the Cats circa 2016-2021; very much thereabouts and good enough to beat most teams in the comp 9/10 times. But something is lacking when it gets to the pointy end.

They've gotta move on from Charlie Dixon.

Sadly, Todd Marshall might not be an answer moving forward - happily, Mitch Georgiades has been pretty good upon his return from a serious injury, and Willie Rioli has proven himself to be a Tyson Stengle-level match winning small forward.

Boak is overdue to retire, great career.
Ollie Wines should maybe be @ WCE or the Roos moving forward.

They have the bare bones of a very competitive team for the next 5 years, and I don't reckon Kenny is the worst man to steer the ship by any means.

A decent ruckman, a new forward target and they'll be thereabouts yet again.

Disappointing final from Miles Bergmann tonight, I have rated him highly but he was sh*te tonight unfortunately - trade bait.

Gotta manage this list artfully from here, because there is definitely the skeleton of a flag-winning team here - but there needs to be some augmentation.

So either we happen to have the worst luck with drafting pea hearted players, year after year, for the last 15 years, who go missing when the heat is on.

Or

Maybe, just maybe, the mindset and application is a huge part of what modern coaching is about, and we happen to not be very good on that front.

Is there a reason it can’t be a combination?

I would get rid of him no question fwiw so I’m not disagreeing with you

There’s 3 ex cats that have played this finals series for you that aren’t up to standard for starters

Remove this Banner Ad

Can Port win a premiership under Ken Hinkley?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back