Opinion Can the Hawks make finals in 2024?

Can the Hawks make finals in 2024?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Pushing for top 8 is great and all but what would've been great to see for this young group is a re-match against the Swans. It would interesting to see how much we've improved since they kicked our a** in 49 days ago.

The chances of us making finals is slim but how great would it be if we could somehow sneak in and then get a chance at knocking off the clear premiership favourites. First game off the bye will be telling and if we can pick up where we left off who knows how long this streak will continue.

Assuming 3 of those are the Geelong, Carlton and GWS games. Collingwood a 50/50.

I don’t fear the GWS game as it’s at Manuka rather than the Showground and the dimensions are very similar to the G - we won’t have to change tactics at all. Plus it’ll be bloody cold even in the afternoon on an August day in Canberra so conditions would favour us more than the Giants. Because we haven’t played dimensions anywhere close to Kardinia’s that’s the real danger game for mine.

I don’t fear the GWS game as it’s at Manuka rather than the Showground and the dimensions are very similar to the G - we won’t have to change tactics at all. Plus it’ll be bloody cold even in the afternoon on an August day in Canberra so conditions would favour us more than the Giants. Because we haven’t played dimensions anywhere close to Kardinia’s that’s the real danger game for mine.
Maybe you can get your mate AC to take his shirt off again before the game as it worked wonders the last time we played there 😂

That was CJ’s debut game in the snow which was round 21 in 2019 and I’m pretty sure we haven’t played there since.

It’s unlikely but you never know it’s the % that’s the main issue. With so many sides around the mark % likely separates finals and non finals. Anyway I don’t care this is a great development year and creating a platform of enough talent, a cohesive game plan and belief to springboard from in 2025.

Pushing for top 8 is great and all but what would've been great to see for this young group is a re-match against the Swans. It would interesting to see how much we've improved since they kicked our a** in 49 days ago.

The chances of us making finals is slim but how great would it be if we could somehow sneak in and then get a chance at knocking off the clear premiership favourites. First game off the bye will be telling and if we can pick up where we left off who knows how long this streak will continue.
Cats at GMHBA is a great test . They have bullied us last few times .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope we re-paint the boundary at Bunjil Bagora the same dimensions as their skinny ground for training leading into this game.

Should probably be doing a bit of this in the bye weeks also. Don’t take our eyes off West Coast too much but that game against the Cats is massive for us and we need to have our gameplan for the constricted field humming.

Agreed. I reckon they would still beat us quite easily but would be more fun to watch

Cats at GMHBA is a great test . They have bullied us last few times .
I'm more optimistic than I have been in the past. We've been really good in close and under pressure lately, and we've been playing Marvel well. Marvel isn't GMHBA small but it is smaller than the G, that holds us in decent stead.

If we can really limit Miers and Holmes we're a great chance.

It's going to be a fun ride watching this team close out. Few injuries and 2 rest weeks to come. Hawthorn will not be an easy game. Sails up, go for a top 4 finish and rewrite history.

We are still not in the odds for finals, as our poor percentage means we have to "storm the gates" really in the final months to finals. We need 6 wins out of 9 to realistically progress.

Finals or not, every result up to the end of the season will keep giving us info on this group and their drive to win.

• Weagles post-bye: how well can we settle back into rhythm & how do we compare to last time we travelled to Perth (which did not go well)
1718597127451.png
  • Geelong: how do we compare to our team in Round 3, have we grown even in the year itself (albeit in the GMHBA Cauldron)
1718597192223.png
  • Freo: 11months on to our disappointing defeat to Freo in Round 24 last year, can our game compete against the defensive yet inaccurate game style - which so far has been our kryptonite.
1718597162336.png

All really interesting challenges ahead - each one giving insight into our playing group and how much they have learned.

Lose all three, and we still have steps to walk before we will be finals ready. Win one or two, and there is genuine progress in the group. Win all three, albeit unlikely, and this run starts to really become something special.

I'm more optimistic than I have been in the past. We've been really good in close and under pressure lately, and we've been playing Marvel well. Marvel isn't GMHBA small but it is smaller than the G, that holds us in decent stead.

If we can really limit Miers and Holmes we're a great chance.
Reckon Sam will be reviewing the GWS vs Cats game there to see how they beat them there. A good start will be to have someone nullify Stewart to stop their rebound game. Maybe play Dimma forward to do that role and let Ginni, Watson and Moore go to work.

History suggests 13 will get you in, even with a crap %. 12 was normally enough in a 22 round season & 12.5 was last year for 23 games.

So need to win 6 out of next 9 and ignore everything else. Very doable.
I've done the ladder predictor a fair few times and I think we need 14 to be guaranteed.

Massive test after the bye in Perth

Reckon Sam will be reviewing the GWS vs Cats game there to see how they beat them there. A good start will be to have someone nullify Stewart to stop their rebound game. Maybe play Dimma forward to do that role and let Ginni, Watson and Moore go to work.
Targeting Stewart for rebound is the wrong choice. So long as you're making good decisions you can bypass Stewart, make him defend and he's easier to hold up ball in hand. Holmes eviscerates sides when he intercepts the ball, up there with the most damaging players in the comp at the moment. Their 5th best player for score involvements and he's doing it off the HBF.

Unbelievably quick, very skilful, absolute vacuum for the ground ball and sitting 2nd for metres gained in the comp.

Back