Can Worsfold survive?

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s easy to say that when a side is underperforming but I disagree. 7 x All Australians in the best 22 is a decent nucleus for a coach.

Who are the 7?
Lets go through them.

Hooker - Good player.
Hurley - Good player

Then what?

Heppell - good solid trier.

Thats 3....

Who are the other 4?

Shiel? - Good player. Not a star though.

Then who?

Please dont say Zaharakis? He is awful. Had one good game 10 years ago

Who else am I missing?

We have no leadership on the field when the game is on.

Once the siren starts it’s up to the players to make it happen.

I have little problem in a belief with Worsfolds coaching ability.

Team cohesion on game day is everything in footy and the players are in charge of that.

But in saying that, iDGAf any more.

Sack him, keep him...get somebody new. Doesn’t matter.

I repeat. We have no on field leadership.

That’s our core problem.

Woosha is an easy target because he is from the Perth.

The Melbourne media mafia love to sink the boots in to 'outsiders'.

The cold hard reality is the Bombers list is bog ordinary. Too many hacks. Mark Baguely gets a game for god's sake.

Yet the fans and Bombers people seem to think they have a great list and Woosha is holding them back.

Delusional.

Nothing to do with him being from Perth.

Don’t be an idiot all your life son.

Woosha is an easy target because he is from the Perth.

The Melbourne media mafia love to sink the boots in to 'outsiders'.

The cold hard reality is the Bombers list is bog ordinary. Too many hacks. Mark Baguely gets a game for god's sake.

Yet the fans and Bombers people seem to think they have a great list and Woosha is holding them back.

Delusional.

Well, you’ve simply made all that up.

I guarantee I spend far more time around Essendon people than you do. I know exactly what people want and expect: improvement.

Worsfold’s first year with a full list was 2017, when we played finals.

Maybe you could explain exactly is wrong with expecting improvement on that? All ears.

Who are the 7?
Lets go through them.

Hooker - Good player.
Hurley - Good player

Then what?

Heppell - good solid trier.

Thats 3....

Who are the other 4?

Shiel? - Good player. Not a star though.

Then who?

Please dont say Zaharakis? He is awful. Had one good game 10 years ago

Who else am I missing?
Stringer, Merrett and Daniher.

Will always be a one club man, an Eagle, at heart, as a player and a coach. Would be a ratjer unfortunate end for Woosha but he'll always have that. Course it may not be the end of his career in footy.

Average team and list has a 6-7 record with a percentage of 100.

Why is it the coach (who has proven experience and success) that should be sacked, especially at this stage of the season?

Made the finals in 2017 and have brought in Saad, Smith, Stringer and Shiel since then and might miss the finals twice on the bounce. Is that enough to get the sack? Who knows but it’s understandable why there is so much angst by Essendon supporters and high profile Essendon media.

IMO it'd be a harsh sacking. Under him they've performed at least OK-ish and their list is not a great one IMO. He's not a club favourite though so he's not someone that will have a lot of support in the media, alas.

Backline
FB: Ambrose Hurley Saad
HB: McKenna Hooker Redman
i/c Zaharakis

Depth: Francis, Ridley, Hartley, Zerk-Thatcher, Gleeson

That's got skill, pace, a couple of big tall pillars and a decent 3rd tall with flexibility. That's a finals quality backline, probably in the 4-8th range.

Midfield
C: Heppell Merrett McGrath
Foll: Bellchambers Shiel Smith
Int: Guelfi, Langford, Parish
Depth: Clarke, Myers, Mutch

Smith out for the year is a blow but I still think it's a decent midfield group. Shiel and Merrett are a very good 1-2 punch of quick running mids. Then McGrath as a number 1 pick ready to break out is a nice 3rd option who can be moved around based on team needs. Bellchambers above average ruck. Parish is trending upwards. Depth is pretty average but overall I'd say it's a 6-12th based midfield for a coach to work with.

Forwards
HF: AMT Brown? Resting mid/Begley?
FF: Fantasia Daniher Stringer
Int: Begley/Laverde?
Depth: McKernan, Baguley, Stewart

Clearly a Daniher, Stringer, Fantasia, McDonald-Tippa group of 4 forwards is super dangerous. The question is what's left after that? If Brown can do his lead up role on a weaker defender and one of Begley or Laverde provide a nice medium hybrid player plus rotating a midfielder through you've got a good forward line.

With Daniher done for the year, Stringer out and Fantasia being in and out you're getting nothing from the 3 guys who can really make an impact.

At full strength I think the Bombers are 4-10th best forward line, without Daniher that comes back to maybe 6-12th if Stringer and Fantasia can be at their best. Without those two doing well it's clearly below a finals team.

So all up you've got:
- Above average backline
- Average midfield with pros and cons
- A potentially good forward line that due to injury is more likely average but even below that for now.

List wise Essendon have enough to push for finals but not automatically. With good or bad coaching they should hover around the equal wins/losses ratio.

If I were an Essendon fan I'd want to see the team play better on days when it's not their night, with more substance and energy.

But I'd also be thinking list wise about Redman (2015: 30), Ridley (2016: 22), Langford (2014: 17), Laverde (2014: 20), Begley (2016: 31). (And that's without mentioning Francis and Parish)

If Essendon want to be a better team with more depth, more grunt, more skill there's 5 guys taken in top 31 picks in their 3rd-5th seasons - the prime years to make a leap from good VFL players who show flashes to serious AFL players. Redman's had a good break out year. Langford's showed some flashes this year. Begley's doing well coming back from injury.

As a group though I think they've been disappointing and the question probably is: Are they up to it or is Worsfold holding them back? Because by trading a lot of picks the last couple of years they are really the guys who have to take Essendon forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Backline
i/c Zaharakis

That's got skill, pace, a couple of big tall pillars and a decent 3rd tall with flexibility. That's a finals quality backline, probably in the 4-8th range.

Midfield

Smith out for the year is a blow but I still think it's a decent midfield group. Shiel and Merrett are a very good 1-2 punch of quick running mids. Then McGrath as a number 1 pick ready to break out is a nice 3rd option who can be moved around based on team needs. Bellchambers above average ruck. Parish is trending upwards. Depth is pretty average but overall I'd say it's a 6-12th based midfield for a coach to work with.

Forwards

Clearly a Daniher, Stringer, Fantasia, McDonald-Tippa group of 4 forwards is super dangerous. The question is what's left after that? If Brown can do his lead up role on a weaker defender and one of Begley or Laverde provide a nice medium hybrid player plus rotating a midfielder through you've got a good forward line.

With Daniher done for the year, Stringer out and Fantasia being in and out you're getting nothing from the 3 guys who can really make an impact.

At full strength I think the Bombers are 4-10th best forward line, without Daniher that comes back to maybe 6-12th if Stringer and Fantasia can be at their best. Without those two doing well it's clearly below a finals team.

So all up you've got:
- Above average backline
- A potentially good forward line that due to injury is more likely average but even below that for now.

List wise Essendon have enough to push for finals but not automatically. With good or bad coaching they should hover around the equal wins/losses ratio.

If I were an Essendon fan I'd want to see the team play better on days when it's not their night, with more substance and energy.

But I'd also be thinking list wise about Redman (2015: 30), Ridley (2016: 22), Langford (2014: 17), Laverde (2014: 20), Begley (2016: 31). (And that's without mentioning Francis and Parish)

If Essendon want to be a better team with more depth, more grunt, more skill there's 5 guys taken in top 31 picks in their 3rd-5th seasons - the prime years to make a leap from good VFL players who show flashes to serious AFL players. Redman's had a good break out year. Langford's showed some flashes this year. Begley's doing well coming back from injury.

As a group though I think they've been disappointing and the question probably is: Are they up to it or is Worsfold holding them back? Because by trading a lot of picks the last couple of years they are really the guys who have to take Essendon forward.

Redman: no complaints, had a great year.

Ridley: started the year well, was dropped and hasn’t returned. Seems lost.

Langford: has had his development rooted in the opinion of many due to being played out of position. They’ve been hellbent on playing him as a full time midfielder... which he’s not, he’s not a natural ball hunter. Has shown good signs in the forward line but still gets thrown around.

Laverde: nobody’s fault, has been ruined by injury to date. Whenever he gets a decent run at it, he’s looked good - as he is right now. Fingers crossed he stays fit.

Begley: coming off the knee

Parish: absolutely dicked around by the club. Dropped, played forward at times, when he’s plainly a midfielder and a pretty good one: that’s what he was drafted at pick 4 for. Finally being played midfield in the seniors and surprise! He’s producing. Who would’ve ****in thought. Multiple other clubs are interested, funnily enough that’s what might’ve been the boot up the arse to actually deploy him properly.

Francis: previously had off-field issues which the club managed well. Got him into the seniors last year and he had a super stretch of games at the end of the season. All looked well. He was then dropped a couple of games into this season. Was brought back in... as a forward?? Is now even playing forward in the VFL, who the hell knows why.

In summary? Football-wise:

Well managed: Redman, Laverde, Begley

Poorly managed: Ridley, Langford, Parish, Francis.

It’s not a great result I don’t think.

Backline
i/c Zaharakis

Midfield

Forwards

So all up you've got:
- Above average backline

It’s a flat out average list. It always has been and as much as the red and black media team wanted us to believe they were some kind of contender, it didn’t matter because eventually reality bites.

They are where they belong - middle of the pack. Very little from what I’ve seen of their players would suggest otherwise.

There are good players there - don’t get me wrong - but their best guys aren’t any better than the rest of the pack (a guy like Merrett is a prime example).

They got Dan Richardson. They got Ben Rutten. Now both those two and the coterie are lobbying for Caracella who they first need to convince to actually want a head coach job.

In summary? Football-wise:

Well managed: Redman, Laverde, Begley

Poorly managed: Ridley, Langford, Parish, Francis.

It’s not a great result I don’t think.
So under 50%, and Laverde I'm not sure on, maybe he's just not that good to be a consistent player but the desire seems to get more defensively from him and closer to goal where as when he was a kid he looked a great player in space. Maybe that's the injuries and lack of fitness base.

I also feel like the Essendon best 22 has 3 big groups:

Group 1: the pre supplement saga guys who stuck it out plus Daniher, Merrett and those who were already around
Group 2: the big name recruits - Stringer, Smith, Shiel, Saad and I'd even put McGrath in this group.
Group 3: the emerging talent which includes the guys above

And there seems to be a gap in solid experienced role players who largely went by the wayside when the club went bananas.

The talented players who went through the ringer probably aren't suited to doing the dirty work for the team - although Heppell is more of a complimentary mid and is doing it well this year. Gun recruits bought in for talent aren't really known for that kind of stuff - with Smith maybe the exception as an elite pressure player. And then most kids just aren't suited to that either.

It's Ambrose down back and I guess Guelfi as a young utility kind of role playing type who I really like. Not the most talented but gets the job done.

That's another thing I usually hold against coaches more than list managers. Coaches have to find their guys who can do the jobs week in week out for the stars and young talent to shine.

Essendon had success late last year with Baguley as a defensive forward and Myers as a bullocking mid and now both are out of the line up? They aren't talented so maybe it made sense that guys like Clarke and Begley took their spots but replacing role players is rarely a good sign of a healthy team that knows where it's at.

I'm always fascinated by these list management v coaching blame games because I think they are the questions that need to be asked when reviewing a coach. I'm usually of the belief that tactics are mostly overrated and creating a team with synergy and talent is more relevant than style. Tactics should be based on the talent at hand but get enough good players playing in great team fashion and the game plan will work for them.

Once the journos start the campaign, most coaches don't survive.

I'm not for or against him but i just don't see who else is out there that is any good other than trying an untried coach.
That is the big question though - if a Club is going to get rid of an existing coach then you would think they would need to upgrade & get a coach who is guaranteed to get the required results, but more often than not this doesn't happen as not sure that coach really exists. Think Essendon are being far too impatient when you think it's not that long ago they went through the drug saga. It can take some years to build a list to win a flag - it doesn't happen overnight!

The journos have had two coaches sacked this far.
If Worsfold and Alan Richardson go that's four which is crazy crazy stuff.
Ten teams don't make the finals each year and if this keeps up we will run out of coaches.
Too many media pundits means they have to invent pressure on someone or something. Meaning some coach has to be on the chopping block and someone's behaviour has to be a moral outrage.
I had Essendon as a 7-12 team.
We are an almost team and need everything to go right to beat decent sides.
Shut our run down and we are a bottom team.
Plenty of list analysis above shows where the list is and injuries to your three most impactful forwards would hurt most sides.

Sacking Worsfold won't be the big miracle people think

Probably not op, but I think he needs another three years to be honest therefore it will make it around 5 to 6 years in charge. Chopping and changing coaches every 3 years doesn’t get you anywhere.

Probably not and it'll be thanks to the moron powerbrokers at the club who think the list is top 4 quality.
Their inconsistency is the coaches fault though. There is zero reason why Essendon can look a billion dollars one game and then the next ultra crap. They have the talent. There are much less talented sides out there who have accomplished far more.

I just think Worsfold isn’t getting enough out of his player group. Look at how at the Richmond or Sydney players are. Those are examples of good coaches.
I think both of these are true.

Our list has plenty of good talent, yes but not top 4. Having said that a few of them are out for the year and a few of them are still not quite in their prime but that's no different to other clubs. We do look a million bucks one week and horror the next. I'm almost certain that the players don't just alternate weeks where they try and then weeks where they don't. We get exposed through the middle of the ground and people are quick to shoot down our backline but our backline is great. Hurley and Hooker are very good players, Ambrose a solid stopper, McKenna and Saad good runners and small defenders. It's very hard for them to stop opposition when the ball has been turned over and their players are streaming forward into an open fwd 50 and this happens far too often, has to be a flaw in the game plan. TBH I'm still not really sure what our game style is. I don't necessarily think sacking Woosha leads us to the land of milk & honey and sacking coaches every few years has never really worked out but I'm almost certain that keeping him around isn't going to lead us to a flag. **Worsfold fans feel free to quote that if we do win a flag**

Worsfold looks gone with famous name former Essendon players Watson, Lloyd and Goddard coming out last 24 hours with criticism of the club's progress. In fact one may be excused for thinking that there is an orchestrated campaign at foot here.

But given the list has holes, i wonder if the expectations are somewhat removed from reality

Don Watson, Caporegime Lloyd and ambitious soldier Goddard have spoken!

Now, this all reminds of something from the recent past - the whiteanting of the "Non-Essendon" coach, the belief that all that is needed is the Right Man to lead the list to glory.

I hope they get Hirdy back, I so really really do

Remove this Banner Ad

Back